Windows 10: How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10

Discus and support How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In a house or apartment, there may be various factors affecting your Wi-Fi signal strength, coverage, and connectivity speeds. If you think your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, May 20, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10

In a house or apartment, there may be various factors affecting your Wi-Fi signal strength, coverage, and connectivity speeds. If you think your internet connection has slowed down lately, you can check the Wi-Fi signal strength to find out the connection performance.

Before you buy a new router or change the Internet Service Provider (ISP), you should check your Wi-Fi signal strength and determine if the slow performance issue is an issue with the ISP or your router.

In this guide, we’re going to show you the steps to check Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 with Command Prompt, PowerShell, and a Microsoft Store app.

How to check Wi-Fi signal strength using Command Prompt

To check Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 with Command Prompt, follow these steps:

1. Open Start menu.
    2. Type “command” and you’ll see “Command Prompt.”
    3. Select Command Prompt result.
    4. Choose “Run as administrator.”
      How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 Command-Prompt-Search.jpg
    5. In Command Prompt window, enter “netsh wlan show interfaces”.

The above interface command displays your network signal strength as a percentage. Every detail about the connected Wi-Fi network and the network adapter is collected and presented in a table.

How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 WiFi-signal-in-Command-Prompt.jpg

As you can see in the above screenshot, the “Signal” field contains the percentage of your Wi-Fi router signal quality.

How to check Wi-Fi signal strength using PowerShell

To check Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 with PowerShell, follow these steps:

1. Right-click on Start menu icon or press Windows+X.
    2. Click “Windows PowerShell (Admin).”
    3. In the PowerShell window, enter the following command.
    4. (netsh wlan show interfaces) -Match ‘^\s+Signal’ -Replace ‘^\s+Signal\s+:\s+’,”

The above PowerShell command gives you the exact Wi-Fi signal strength of your router.

How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 WiFi-signal-in-PowerShell.jpg

Use Wi-Fi Analyzer apps from the Microsoft Store

Windows also allow you to determine your Wi-Fi signal strength with third-party apps. In Microsoft Store, there are many free Wi-Fi analyzer apps and they are very easy to use.

Our favourite app is “WiFi Analyzer”, which can be downloaded for free from the Microsoft Store. The app provides a vast range of data for networks and it also allows you to monitor and manage wireless networks in your area.

How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 WiFi-Analyzer-app.jpg

Based on the Wi-Fi signal, you can troubleshoot network issues.

If your signal strength is consistently below 60%, the Wi-Fi has gotten sluggish and you should consider changing the router placement. For optimal performance, the router should be in the center of your house, if possible.

Or you can also use any Wi-Fi analyzer app from the Microsoft Store apps to see what channels neighbouring Wi-Fi networks are using.

For instance, if your and most of the networks in your area are using channel 11, you are going to encounter signal congestion. This can be fixed if you or the router automatically choose the least congested channel. If your routers choose a predefined channel, you can fix it by manually selecting other available channels such as 1 or 6.

There are many other ways to get a faster wireless network performance at home. You can either knock down a few walls in your house or buy a new set of network hardware such as the router or Wi-Fi 6 adapter for your computer.

The post How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, May 20, 2020
  2. Nate W.H. Win User

problem in checking signal strength of wifi

Hi Nitin kishan Sharma,

Being able to see your Wi-Fi signal strength from the home screen sounds like a pretty useful function. I would encourage you to make a feature request directly to the Windows Phone Development Team at

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions
    . Many features requested here have been added in the past and if you suggest the Wi-Fi signal strength to show on the icon it may be added to future OS releases.

Regards,

Nate W.H., May 20, 2020
  3. problem in checking signal strength of wifi

Hi Nate,

thanks for the reply,

As per my concern there should be a signal strength icon in place of Wi-Fi turned-on icon.

If this kind of basic functionality is not provided by the Microsoft, then we have only option to use the app which will be shortcut of WI-FI and will display connection and signal strength.

Nitin kishan Sharma, May 20, 2020
  4. Nate W.H. Win User

problem in checking signal strength of wifi

Hi Nitin kishan Sharma,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. I understand that it can be inconvenient to have to go in to the phone's Wi-Fi settings to see the signal strength when you'd like to be able to see it from the home screen.

The icon at the top of the home screen is just meant to show if Wi-Fi is turned on or off and doesn't change based on signal strength. I did some research to see if there were any apps that would display the signal strenth in a Live Tile. I was able to find
    a few apps centered around Wi-Fi but none of them seem to display the signal strength on the Live Tile; though many of them do function as a shortcut directly to the Wi-Fi settings.

While this option may not be exactly what you want it will certainly make it easier to get to the settings and check the signal strenth. If you'd like to have a look at the apps for Wi-Fi you can find them at

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/search?q=Wi-Fi
    or by searching for "Wi-Fi" in the marketplace on your phone.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Nate W.H., May 20, 2020
Thema:

1. How to check exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - check exact signal

2. How to check the signal strength rssi of a Bluetooth connection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to check the signal strength rssi of a Bluetooth connection?: Hello!I can't figure out how to check the signal strength of the Bluetooth connection between my PC and my headphones. I was hoping to obtain a RSSI value, but it does not appear there is a way to do so on Windows.Any assistance is appreciated.Best Regards,Adam...
  3. How to check the signal strength rssi of a Bluetooth connection?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to check the signal strength rssi of a Bluetooth connection?: Hello!I can't figure out how to check the signal strength of the Bluetooth connection between my PC and my headphones. I was hoping to obtain a RSSI value, but it does not appear there is a way to do so on Windows.Any assistance is appreciated.Best Regards,Adam...
  4. How to check the signal strength rssi of a Bluetooth connection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Wireless wi fi signal strength low

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless wi fi signal strength low: Recently my wireless wi fi signal has got low in basement for some reason. Have the lowest end router and after contacting cox cable they said i had to many devices on wireless 2-3 they say good, i had 5, but removed 2 of them. Problem started after a rou tv was added, but it...
  6. Signal strength mystery

Signal strength mystery: A technical mystery. It starts with a coax line that carries both a Direct TV line and a cable modem line. With a standard coax spitter, the two signals are easily divided between a Direct TV receiver and a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with no trouble. However, when I attach a...
  7. Devolo 500 Signal Strength

Devolo 500 Signal Strength: I have the following set up. Router connected to Dlan 500 duo with Cat5 cable Two dlan 500 Wifi: One located on the same floor, (Drawing Room) as the Router and one on the floor below (Xander) Using Cockpit the signal strength to Drawing Room is 200 Mbits/s and to Xander 74...
  8. ASUS loosing wi-fi signal

ASUS loosing wi-fi signal: two years ago i bought an ASUS X541U; after a couple of weeks it started to loose the wifi signal, so i took it back and they replace it with another one (same model).. Same issue started after 3-4 weeks; i tried to contact ASUS and they gave me few options to try like to do...
  9. Low Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Low Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Do you face low Wi-Fi signal strength on your Windows computer after an update or re-installation? This post talks about a few methods to fix this issue and overcome low signal strength on your computer. With our cognitive revolution, the [...] This post Low Wi-Fi...
  10. How to find out the exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to find out the exact Wi-Fi signal strength on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Do you know the exact spot which has the maximum Wi-Fi signal strength in your house? Well, you can probably tell that by the number of solid bars in the Wi-Fi icon in the taskbar. But that might not be [...] This post How to find out the exact Wi-Fi signal strength...