Windows 10: How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10

Discus and support How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; There are many processes for different programs that run with administrative rights or elevated privileges. While some processes need elevated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 11, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10

There are many processes for different programs that run with administrative rights or elevated privileges. While some processes need elevated privileges to run programs properly, other processes don’t need such privileges. If you want to check which processes are running with admin rights, then this post will guide you.

A few days back, we saw how to open Explorer as admin in elevated mode. Building upon the tip we gave in that post, you can use the same native feature to find out processes that are running as administrative privileges. Once you find such processes, you can close them or keep them running based on the needs.

How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10 check-if-a-process-is-running-with-admin-rights-in-windows-10.png

Check if a Program or Application is running as Administrator

To check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10, do the following:

1. Open Task Manager
    2. Access the Details tab
    3. Access Select columns box
    4. Select Elevated option
    5. Save the change.

At first, right-click on the taskbar and use the Task Manager option. Or else, you can use other options to open the Task Manager window.

Task Manager should open with more details view mode that shows all the tabs of Task Manager.

If it doesn’t open with that mode, then click on the More details option on the bottom left part and it will open with more details view mode.

How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10 switch-to-More-details-view-mode-for-Task-Manager.png

Now access the Details tab. After that, access the Select columns box. For that, right-click on any column name (like username, CPU, memory, etc.) available in the Details tab, and click on the Select columns option.

How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10 open-Select-columns-box.png

In the Select columns box, scroll down, and click on the Elevated option. Save this change using the OK button.

How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10 select-Elevated-option-and-press-ok.png

Now, in the Details tab, you will notice that an elevated name column is visible for all the running processes.

If there is Yes for a particular process, that means that process is running with elevated privileges. If there is a No, that simply means it is not running with admin rights.

That’s it.

Hope this simple trick is helpful.

How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10 check-if-a-process-is-running-with-admin-rights-in-windows-10.png
    This article How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Mar 11, 2021

2. Process running but not starting in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to run applications on Windows 10. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may be due to application conflicts.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the explorer issue.

• Press Alt+ctr+Del from Desktop.

• Select Task Manager.

• Under process tab, locate the apps that are running.

• Right Click on the application and select End Task.

• Please try accessing the application again and check if you are able to run the application.
    If the issue persists, I suggest you to run
    the program in Compatibility mode, please follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Program
    • Click on Properties
    • Click on Compatibility tab
    • Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 11, 2021
  3. Matt18 Win User
    admin rights keep disappearing!?!!

Hi guys,

I am actually having a problem at work that our IT department hasn't been able to figure out. I am supposed to be a member of the admin group. We are on a domain. The problem is that everytime I reboot the computer I loose my admin rights(no longer in the administrator group) and just become a normal user again. I have tried googling this and didn't get to many results.
    I believe IT is just giving me local admin rights, not admin rights for the whole domain.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: It is on Windows XP Pro.

Matt18, Mar 11, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

running DOS as ADMIN

I suggested that in post #4 but @bromberg doesn't seem to have tried it yet...

Thema:

1. How to check if a process is running with admin rights in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - check process running

2. Allow program to run with admin rights.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow program to run with admin rights.: Hello, I have an app that I want to let users run on a windows 10 device but each time it is open it prompts for admin override. How can I allow every user on the computer to be able to use this program? I have already went into security and ensured that everyone had full...
  3. Allow program to run with admin rights.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Allow program to run with admin rights.: Hello, I have an app that I want to let users run on a windows 10 device but each time it is open it prompts for admin override. How can I allow every user on the computer to be able to use this program? I have already went into security and ensured that everyone had full...
  4. Allow program to run with admin rights.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. PowerShell file run with admin rights

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell file run with admin rights: I made a script in PowerShell and I have to run with admin rights. I also made a shortcut of that file and with right click -> properties, shortcut tab -> advanced -> run as admin is disabled. How can I run a ps1. file (PowerShell file) with admin rights ? (see picture) 182480
  6. Automated check on running process

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automated check on running process: Hi all I have a query related to automating a process within Windows 10. For background, I have several headless machines in what I call my "data dungeon" (it's dark and cold), which I use to run a Python script that scrapes information (publicly available, nothing dodgy -...
  7. Admin rights Windows 10

Admin rights Windows 10: Is there a way to restore admin rights without having to re-install windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-rights-windows-10/c71fda0e-f8e5-43cd-9a73-250152c6f7ff
  8. Windows 10 Admin rights

Windows 10 Admin rights: While doing certain tasks on my computer, a prompt ask for admin credentials. After entering the correct password I am denied access. I checked my user accts. and I can't access the admin acct. Any ideas?...
  9. Windows 10: Admin rights

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: Admin rights: For some time I've been unable to save files to my "Downloads" folder for some reason, I ignored it since pretty much all other directories could work to save files. Error translates as follows: "You do not have permission to save in this location. Request permission to...
  10. how to run process explorer from startup folder as admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to run process explorer from startup folder as admin: There are several items that don't appear in process explorer (sysinternals) unless it is run as administrator. I want to do this everytime I log in, so I placed a shortcut in the startup folder. This only works if I don't change the compatibility settings on it to run as...