Windows 10: How to check if someone is attacking my network

Discus and support How to check if someone is attacking my network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I was wondering if it's possible for attackers to cling to your network and maybe even configuring routers settings so that they can silently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mibaup, Sep 26, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

How to check if someone is attacking my network

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible for attackers to cling to your network and maybe even configuring routers settings so that they can silently see what your'e doing, and can I check for that?

For example if you entered some dubious websites.

My internet is not working right lately so I was wondering if maybe I've got someone "invisble" spying or doing something else with my network (There are a few computers connected to my network)

Ty

:)

mibaup, Sep 26, 2016
  2. Wadus Win User

How to check if my router UPnP is working

Ok, I figured out a way to check for open ports: miniupnpc . It's a open source UPnP client and can be downloaded here:

MiniUPnP download zone

The link for the Windows binary file at the time of this post is:
    http://miniupnp.free.fr/files/download.php?file=upnpc-exe-win32-20150918.zip
    . Make sure you download the latest version from the main page though.

I tested it using a Linux system and worked great, it gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Wadus, Sep 26, 2016
  3. how to check if my Nokia phone is branded for a provider?

Device may have been unlocked by network provider, but may still have network branding determined by the seven character alphanumeric product code (found either on label under battery or in case of E7 type *#0000# upon dialler) and find under "Product code").

aspergerguy, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

You can try entering your router to see what's connected. In a browser type 192.168..1.1 in the address bar and hit enter. If asked for a user name and password try admin for user name and password for the password. I would also do a virus scan and I would also check for malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal

Winuser, Sep 26, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    You could also try rebooting your cable modem and router. On my system I unplug my Comcast cable modem and remove the battery. Then I unplug my router. I leave them unplugged for about a minute or two. Then I replace the battery and plugin the modem. I let the modem reload then I plug my router back in and let it reload. It doesn't happen very often but there have been times I lost my internet speed and resetting brings it back.

Winuser, Sep 26, 2016
  6. mibaup Win User
    Thanks, under what menu entry in the router's setup page should it be? (To see what's connected)

But will that force all others to quit? Or they already have the DNS or stuff like that?

mibaup, Sep 26, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Someone would have to setup another access point to trick your computer to think that one is yours. Then all that they do is set up packet capturing with a set of Linux tools that are mainly for troubleshooting.

bro67, Sep 26, 2016
  8. Beowulf1 Win User

In router page check for something that shows 'Network status' or 'DHCP clients'

Beowulf1, Sep 26, 2016
  9. Beowulf1 Win User
    Beowulf1, Sep 26, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    On my Netgear router it's under Attached Devices.

How to check if someone is attacking my network [​IMG]

Every time I had to reset my modem and router all my devices automatically reconnected.

Winuser, Sep 27, 2016
  11. mibaup Win User
    Thanks guys!
    so it seems right, but I still get many sudden - short period disconnections, and in the browsers it tells me that DNS server stopped responding or something like that - could it then be a problem with the internet provider or infrastructure/bad network hardware or cable, rather than an attacker?

mibaup, Sep 27, 2016
  12. Barman58 Win User
    You may want to change your Primary and / or secondary DNS server address to one of the larger public ones in your router ...

Google have 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 available for free Public DNS Google Developers

some ISP supplied routers will not allow this so would need to be done at the Device level

Barman58, Sep 27, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Most routers will have a decent set of logs -- choose whatever you want and some of the better ones will even email when specific events are triggered.

Mine has "system" type logs and "Security" logs -- you should see what's available from the Router login menu.

How to check if someone is attacking my network [​IMG]

Windows software etc is OK but by then it's TOO late --you need to see if people are attempting to connect BEFORE they actually do.

Things like Malwarebytes are "AFTER THE FACT" software -- Router will monitor INBOUND stuff from wherever it comes BEFORE they get on to your machine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 27, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Something else is going on either with the computer, Gateway or Modem if the modem is separate from the Gateway. Also can happen if too many requests get thrown at the Gateway and it pukes because the CPU is too slow and not enough onboard RAM available.

We usually see this with low grade consumer hardware or cheap leased out equipment from ISP's.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  15. mibaup Win User
    Another thing: Many websites warn me of suspicious activity when I try to log in and warn me.
    Some won't let me connect unless I enter some special charcter to proove it's me or to proove im a human?.. it happens alot

mibaup, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to check if someone is attacking my network - Similar Threads - check someone attacking

2. Can someone check my minidump please?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone check my minidump please?: I'm not sure where to send my minidump files at this time. So hopefully someone can check them for me. Been having a bunch of BSOD's. Minidump 3.zip https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-check-my-minidump-please/0c586140-c810-4ff5-b90d-6753a935e52a
  3. My Hotmail account is under attack - can someone help?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Hotmail account is under attack - can someone help?: My Hotmail account appears to be under attack by someone using a VPN. I have changed my password and done other things. My husband said its strange that my account is getting this many pings, saying it's probably a DNS attack. Can you please tell me how to stop this??? It's...
  4. My Hotmail account is under attack - can someone help?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Hotmail account is under attack - can someone help?: My Hotmail account appears to be under attack by someone using a VPN. I have changed my password and done other things. My husband said its strange that my account is getting this many pings, saying it's probably a DNS attack. Can you please tell me how to stop this??? It's...
  5. My Hotmail account is under attack - can someone help?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Can someone check my dmp files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone check my dmp files ?: Can someone check my dmp file ? its on https://www.cyborg.co/share#NVJia6VHzdsVI0lqbFfFr3o7-FFiuJ5WkneCo88b66A https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-check-my-dmp-files/55ba951f-19f5-4915-8986-fffd99cdb0ba
  7. network adapter attack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network adapter attack: Just a post to give info. Last weekend i tried to get online and the network adapter trouble shooter said i had missing and corrupt files and i could not get on the internet. How to fix this issue some of you might wonder. This is how . plug in ur earthnet cable , go to your...
  8. network adapter attack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network adapter attack: Just a post to give info. Last weekend i tried to get online and the network adapter trouble shooter said i had missing and corrupt files and i could not get on the internet. How to fix this issue some of you might wonder. This is how . plug in ur earthnet cable , go to your...
  9. network adapter attack

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. How to disconnect a network if Someone is Network-Connected to my PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to disconnect a network if Someone is Network-Connected to my PC: Hi everybody, From Command Prompt == > Type netstat and press the Enter key == > It gave me some other unknown computers network names Can someone tell me how to block them. Thank you I am using Windows 10 version 2004 162565

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to now that someone is attacking a network