Windows 10: How to check if there has been unauthorised access to my computer

Discus and support How to check if there has been unauthorised access to my computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I use Win 10 on a Toshiba laptop. Just before Christmas 2019 my cellphone was hijacked by a criminal who persuaded my provider to cancel my SIM and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BryanWhitlock, Jan 16, 2020.

1. How to check if there has been unauthorised access to my computer

I use Win 10 on a Toshiba laptop. Just before Christmas 2019 my cellphone was hijacked by a criminal who persuaded my provider to cancel my SIM and issue another to him. Within 2 hours $170,000 had been stolen from my bank accounts. I immediately changed all my passwords and obtained a new SIM. This happened about 2 days after I had finished setting up Dashlane where, for the first time, my internet banking password was stored on my computer previously I had memorised it. So, I reason that the criminal must have found compromising data on my cellphone or had access to my computer as well. I am trying to work out how the fraud was carried out, as part of my efforts to protect myself for the future as it appears someone now has a forged driver's licence with my details and his photo. I had the computer checked by a respected IT expert who found no evidence of malware apart from those low-level apps that a criminal could find useful having broken in, but also found no evidence of a break-in which doesn't mean one didn't occur. Is there a log somewhere of activity on the account settings or of log-ins? I would also appreciate any advice that would help me to understand what has happened here.

:)

BryanWhitlock, Jan 16, 2020
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Unable to access HP Simple Pass to Sign-in to the computer on Windows 10

Hi Jerome,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing HP simple pass after upgrading to Windows 10. We will help you with this issue.

• Do let us know the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you installed HP simple pass software on your computer?

Try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to download the latest HP Simple Pass software from the manufacturer's website install it and check if it helps.

Step 2: If you have already installed the software, I suggest you to re-install it and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps to Access Recovery Manager:

• Press Start button from the keyboard, type Recover Manager.
    • Select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available. Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The
      HP Recovery Manager opens.
    • Click Software program re-installation, Next , select
      HP SimplePass for the listing and then follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall application

Hope it helps. Try the above and get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 16, 2020
  4. How to check if there has been unauthorised access to my computer

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

How to check if there has been unauthorised access to my computer

1. How to check if there has been unauthorised access to my computer - Similar Threads - check has been

2. How can I tell if my computer has been remotely accessed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I tell if my computer has been remotely accessed?: if I think my computer has been setup to be accessed remotely how can I tell? How can I tell if it has new remotely acceded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-tell-if-my-computer-has-been-remotely/85bce5c0-0099-4072-b9e4-4d575a4bba96
  3. How can I tell if my computer has been remotely accessed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I tell if my computer has been remotely accessed?: if I think my computer has been setup to be accessed remotely how can I tell? How can I tell if it has new remotely acceded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-tell-if-my-computer-has-been-remotely/85bce5c0-0099-4072-b9e4-4d575a4bba96
  4. Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked: My Dell computer won’t turn start. The power source for computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard have all been checked. I saw others advise doing Windows Logo + R to run a command, but my system is not responding to anything and screen is black. Any suggestions to force the turn...
  5. Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked: My Dell computer won’t turn start. The power source for computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard have all been checked. I saw others advise doing Windows Logo + R to run a command, but my system is not responding to anything and screen is black. Any suggestions to force the turn...
  6. Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. My computer has been crashed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer has been crashed: After all the efforts, all I get is this screen.Don't know the reason of this cause.Hoping that you will help me in this matter.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-has-been-crashed/ab819ff8-da0d-4cf9-b35c-d90a30d17736
  8. How To Tell If My Computer Has Been Hacked?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How To Tell If My Computer Has Been Hacked?: Hi, how do I tell if someone has hacked my computer? I noticed some of my emails had been deleted (not by me) and my internet speeds seem to have dropped a lot recently. How do I know if I've been hacked? I guess I need to change my banking password as the first step....
  9. Computer has been reboot from a bug check

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer has been reboot from a bug check: [img] [img] Hi, I am having weird problem is that windows reboot randomly and I am a pc expert but this one I am not able to find out what cause this problem. According to google search, I found that its a hardware problem, but what exactly problem is that is not I have...
  10. Computer has been reboot from a bug check

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer has been reboot from a bug check: Hi, I having weird problem is that Pc restart randomly and I cant find what cause this problem. Online research show that its hardware problem but idk which one even though I am pc expert thx 107124