Windows 10: How to check which EFI partition Windows is using?

Discus and support How to check which EFI partition Windows is using? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was running a dual-boot system and I uninstalled Linux, but now I'm stuck with two EFI partitions. How do I know which one Windows is using so that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_memelord666, Jun 29, 2020.

1. How to check which EFI partition Windows is using?

I was running a dual-boot system and I uninstalled Linux, but now I'm stuck with two EFI partitions. How do I know which one Windows is using so that I can delete the unwanted one?

I've used detail part on both the partitions and they both output as "not required". However, when I use list volume, one partition shows "System" under Info, while the other doesn't show anything.

submitted by /u/_memelord666
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/_memelord666, Jun 29, 2020
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile How to check which EFI partition Windows is using? :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Jun 29, 2020
  3. dictum Win User
    Which tool to recover the EFI partition? Booted into Rescue Disk

That's not what they suggest here:

FIX: Steps to Fix Winload.EFI Error - Appuals.com

Winload.EFI Error, is pretty much self explanatory by it’s name is an error that prevents windows from loading. This is usually caused by corrupt boot records or incorrect boot configuration. Depending on your Operating System, the error message may vary but the keyword winload.efi will be same. On a Windows 8/8.1/10 system, the error usually pops-up in the following form.

dictum, Jun 29, 2020
  4. How to check which EFI partition Windows is using?

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

Background

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a boot sector technology poised to replace the venerable Master Boot Record (MBR) principally because MBR has a maximum capacity of 2 TB for a single partition (some single disks have reached 3 TB). Installing Windows on a GPT is a bit tricky because Windows wants to default back to MBR. In order to force Windows on to a GPT, we have to pre-format the drive prior to Windows installation. You can do that during Windows setup using the console.

Requirements

• Windows Vista or 7 (must be 64-bit no matter which OS is used)
    • A motherboard with EFI BIOS
    • A means to EFI boot the Windows setup (I had to use a USB DVD drive on MSI Z77A-G65, the internal SATA Bluray drives didn't have an EFI option)
    Instructions

• Boot into Windows setup using EFI. On the MSI Z77A-G65, it showed up as UEFI:USB-ATAPI DVD ... This will change according to your motherboard and how you are attempting to enter setup. This step is critical. Without booting into setup via EFI, only MBR is available to the setup. There's no easy way to tell from within setup if it is running via EFI or not.
    • Once you have booted into setup, continue through the process as you would normally until you reach the dialog which shows you the available drives. Load a driver, if necessary, then press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
    • In the command prompt, enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. Note that the <id> field below is the disk ID that you want to format as GPT from the "list disk" command. If there's only one drive, <id> will likely be 1. Note: All data on the drive will be lost during this process. Make sure to select the correct drive.
      • diskpart
      • list disk
      • select disk <id>
      • online disk
      • attributes disk clear readonly
      • clean
      • convert gpt
      • create partition efi size=102
      • create partition msr size=32
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs label="Operating System"
      • assign letter=C
      • exit
      "online disk" and "attributes disk clear readonly" are likely to fail. Don't worry, they are only precautionary. Change the drive letter and label to whatever you want. Also, the above command (specifically "create partition primary") will consume all remaining space on the drive. If you want multiple partitions with fixed sizes, substitute what you want in place of "create partition primary."
    • You may now close the command prompt and click on "Refresh" back in the dialog to choose where to install Windows. You should now see at least 2 partitions (I think Microsoft Reserved is hidden) and it will only let you install on a non EFI/MSR partition. Click on the primary partition and proceed with the installation as normal.
    • Note that in the EFI BIOS after installing Windows via EFI, you can no longer directly boot the volume Windows is installed on. Instead, you must boot via "Windows Boot Manager" (on MSI Z77A-G65, it was "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager"). Keep that in mind if you wish to tweak the boot order.
    Conclusion

That should do it. You should be in Windows with >2 TB of hard drive capacity available if you had more than 2 TB on the Windows partition. Congratulations being on the bleeding edge of technology! *Rockout :rockout:

FordGT90Concept, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

How to check which EFI partition Windows is using?

1. How to check which EFI partition Windows is using? - Similar Threads - check EFI partition

2. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move "EFI System Partition"?: Hi guys, I need to move my m.2 drivedisk 1 in pic above to a different pc but when I did so, it didn't boot. When I installed windows 10 onto disk 1, I'm pretty sure disk 0 was plugged in as well. I suspect that the reason disk 1 won't boot on a different pcwithout disk 0 is...
  3. How to move "EFI System Partition"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move "EFI System Partition"?: Hi guys, I need to move my m.2 drivedisk 1 in pic above to a different pc but when I did so, it didn't boot. When I installed windows 10 onto disk 1, I'm pretty sure disk 0 was plugged in as well. I suspect that the reason disk 1 won't boot on a different pcwithout disk 0 is...
  4. How to access files in the EFI partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access files in the EFI partition: The EFI partition on HP systems contains bios backups and has run out of space. I cannot enlarge the partition. When I shrunk "C" the free space showed up on the right hand side instead of next to the EFI. I tried mounting the EFI using diskpart as suggesteddiskpartlist...
  5. How to access files in the EFI partition

How to access files in the EFI partition: The EFI partition on HP systems contains bios backups and has run out of space. I cannot enlarge the partition. When I shrunk "C" the free space showed up on the right hand side instead of next to the EFI. I tried mounting the EFI using diskpart as suggesteddiskpartlist...
  6. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  7. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  8. EFI Partition

9. How to remove EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove EFI System Partition: This problem did not exist before but I must have messed something up. How it looks currently: https://i.imgur.com/mXvgQBY.png How it used to look (from another pc): https://i.imgur.com/RuvuIWf.png Is there anyway to transfer the EFI things into the C drive? I have tried...
  10. How to "move" an EFI system partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to "move" an EFI system partition: I'd like to move a 200MiB EFI partition to the D-drive to join some unallocated space together. It's on my hard drive (D: drive) and if i don't need it at all i would like to delete it. Planning on dual booting Debian on the ~300GiB of unused space.[ATTACH]...