Windows 10: How to choose a default program based on file extension

Discus and support How to choose a default program based on file extension in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I downloaded some fonts to use in WORD. I installed a Font Manager called FontBase. The fonts have extensions of .json and .yml. I go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SweetTasha, Oct 11, 2020.

1. How to choose a default program based on file extension

I downloaded some fonts to use in WORD.
    I installed a Font Manager called FontBase.
    The fonts have extensions of .json and .yml.

I go to settings>default apps>choose default apps by file type.

How to choose a default program based on file extension 7c2964e6-d0ff-4b06-a67e-1beb95eac3e5?upload=true.png

I click Open with and I see

How to choose a default program based on file extension 9e214219-e2c5-4a81-bf83-cdd8b1ed893f?upload=true.png

That leads me to several help pages that all end up with something like "look for the app at the app store."

The app store says it doesn't have an app for that.

I know the program I want to use for the extension. Is there some other way to assign FontBase as the default?

Thanks.
    SweetTasha.

:)

SweetTasha, Oct 11, 2020

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 11, 2020
  3. theking2 Win User
    Choose Default Program not working

• Right click on file
    • Select Open With | Choose Default Program...
    • select a program from the list.

The selected program is opened with the file form 1)
    • Close the program
    • Double click the file from 1.

The old program is opened.
    It seems that the functionality to choose a default program is not working.

How do I specifiy a default program for a file type using the File Explorer?

theking2, Oct 11, 2020
  4. How to choose a default program based on file extension

How to set a default app for extensions?

Hi Tyler,

Which app are you trying to set for .res extension?

Please try to check the app you are trying to set. Is it feasible with .res extension?

I suggest performing the steps below and check if it fixes the problem.

Go to Setting - Apps - Click on Default apps - Click on Choose default apps by file type.

On the left, search for .res extension

Across .res extension, tap on Choose a default

Try browsing for the app.

Martin Jenkinss, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

How to choose a default program based on file extension

1. How to choose a default program based on file extension - Similar Threads - choose default program

2. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search for files based on types? not extension: Hi. I want to search where I saved my screen record files which I forgetunfortunately, I can't remember in which format it was saved. So I need my search feature to search for any video created by this month.How do I do this? So not just one specific format like mp4/flv, etc,...
  3. unable to change default program based on file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to change default program based on file type: i tried to open a file and it popped up the thing to select a default program for that file type, but chose the wrong program. if i go into my settings to try to change the default it no longer lets me choose any program other than the one i already chose or something from...
  4. Infinite Wait Loop > Choose default apps based on file extensions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Infinite Wait Loop > Choose default apps based on file extensions: Hello! I am trying to reset the default apps based on file extensions. In control panel, it redirects me to default apps via the folder options choice and in the settings, it has an infinite wait loop for choose default apps by file type. I have little hopes of fixing this...
  5. Canceling choose a default program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Canceling choose a default program: [IMG] Hi, I have a question about restoring back the "choose a default app by file type", I accidentally picked a default program which I didn't mean to. And I want go back to where there shouldn't be any default program associate with that file extension, is there any way...
  6. choosing a program to open a program file

choosing a program to open a program file: why can't I drop and drag a program file in windows 10 and it becomes the default program for that program file? I has worked from windows 95.........
  7. .iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type: This ties partly into my other issue of not being able to mount ISO files in windows explorer. I am getting no luck on fixing that separate issue, so maybe if i tackle it at a different angle, the other problem could be solved as well. Please do not move this issue to...
  8. Can't choose default program to open files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't choose default program to open files: Hello, I have been living with problem for a while. When making any file like: .css, .html, .php, .js and then trying to open them it shows the "How do you want to open this file?" list from where I select the program, for example Sublime Text 3. I select the program, it...
  9. Under settings, choose default application by file extension.

Under settings, choose default application by file extension.: Under settings, choosing the default application by file extension, is very time-consuming. It has no search feature "dumb." I'm quite familiar with editing the registry "Regedit" I have looked at I cannot find where applications by extension is filed. If anybody knows,...
  10. Windows 10 Unable to save default programs for file extensions

Windows 10 Unable to save default programs for file extensions: I am trying to set Notepad++ as default program for .md files. (just an example, other filetypes also do not work) I tried to set the default program via the 'file properties dialog', the 'right click->open with dialog' and simply by double clicking the file (default app...