Windows 10: How to choose RAM (memory)?

Discus and support How to choose RAM (memory)? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I got Notebook computer Acer Aspire E5-576, i5 4 GB memory. (Windows 64 bit Japanese OS) I want to add 8 GB memory. I wonder how to choose which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ari94, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Ari94 Win User

How to choose RAM (memory)?

Hi, I got Notebook computer Acer Aspire E5-576, i5 4 GB memory. (Windows 64 bit Japanese OS)
    I want to add 8 GB memory.
    I wonder how to choose which memory I could use in this computer?
    Or what points should I consider when I buy memory?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

Ari94, Nov 13, 2018

2. Issues with total memory size of dedicated available RAM

Hello Gevorg,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community an we regret for the inconvenience.

From the description provided, I understand that the motherboard you are using has 4 DIMM slots which supports up to 8 GB of dedicated RAM.

To be able to understand the issue better. let us know how are you viewing the total memory size of dedicated available RAM in your PC.

Now, in one case, if you are using more than one module of RAM, and the frequencies at which they operate are not the same. There will be two outcomes:

• The modules will conflict in terms of DIMM frequencies and it will declare memory failure.
    • Instead of downclocking one or more RAM/s, the motherboard will reject the ones from being accepted.

In order to ascertain if the hardware is correctly configured, I suggest you to check the system information in the BIOS settings. Refer to the manufacturer provided manual to know more about on how to access the BIOS settings.

In another scenario, your computer may also be allocating part of your RAM to other hardware modules, such as your network hardware.

As a secondary workout, I suggest you to increase the Virtual Memory and check if it helps. Follow the steps below.

• Click Windows key + R to open the RUN command utility and type
      msconfig.exe, then press ENTER.

• Click on Boot option and select advanced options.

• Check the maximum memory box and change the value accordingly.

• Click on Apply and Ok to save changes and click Restart the computer.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Rey Bel1 Win User
    Installed Memory(RAM)

Hi Jyotirmay,

Base on the screenshot you provided, it means you have a 3.5 GB usable memory out of the 4 GB memory installed. The amount of usable memory that you see is not exact amount. Usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus "hardware
    reserved" memory.

The reduction of the available system memory depends on the configuration of the following:

• The devices that are installed in the computer and the memory that is reserved by those devices.
    • The ability of the motherboard to handle memory.
    • The System BIOS version and settings.
    • The version of Windows that is installed
    • Other system settings.

If you find that much of your RAM is regularly being used, consider adding more RAM if possible, especially if your PC only has 1 or 2 gigabytes (GB) of RAM. To learn more about what kind of RAM your PC model uses, first look at the memory info in Task Manager,
    and then visit the PC manufacturer’s website for more specific info.

How to choose RAM (memory)? adbf94c8-6e3b-47cd-870a-1807aaea723e?upload=true.png

• Type of memory (RAM) PC uses
    • RAM speed
    • Memory slots used

Here’s some info about the minimum memory requirements for Windows 10:

• Windows 10 (32-bit) can run on a PC with 1 GB of RAM, but it runs better with 2 GB. For better performance, add memory so you have 3 GB or more.
    • Windows 10 (64-bit) can run on a PC with 2 GB of RAM, but it runs better with 4 GB. For better performance, add memory so you have 6 GB or more.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rey Bel1, Nov 13, 2018
  4. bobkn Win User

2133Mhz RAM together with an i5-2500k

I don't know.

The QVL (qualified vendors list) for the board lists RAM up to 2400 MHz, but run at 1333. Support for high frequency RAM, but only after a fashion.

I guess that anything over that would be overclocking. All that I can suggest is trying it (may require manually setting the memory frequency in the BIOS) and running a memory test to see whether it is stable.

bobkn, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

1. How to choose RAM (memory)? - Similar Threads - choose RAM memory

2. RAM memory corruption?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAM memory corruption?: Hi,I recently bought a second-hand PC and while gaming I am getting repeated various BSOD crashes which I believe are down to corrupted RAM or drivers, but I can't identify the problematic files beyond that. I have tried physically dismounting and remounting the RAM and am...
  3. RAM memory corruption?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM memory corruption?: Hi,I recently bought a second-hand PC and while gaming I am getting repeated various BSOD crashes which I believe are down to corrupted RAM or drivers, but I can't identify the problematic files beyond that. I have tried physically dismounting and remounting the RAM and am...
  4. RAM memory corruption?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. RAM Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RAM Memory: Why my setup says that I have 8,00 GB RAM memory but shows that just 6,93 GB is usable? How to fix it? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-memory/6eec79ea-1b95-4395-bdcd-b9d91524dd03
  6. how to fix ram memory reserved

how to fix ram memory reserved: i built my first computer build i have 32gb ram G skill ripsaw 16x2 DDR4 3200 im using a ryzen 3200g cpu with b450m ds3h motherboard i went into bios my memory is frequency 2145.96MHz and the size 32768mb i also went into task manager and it says 0.8/1.5 GB but it also says...
  7. memory (ram sticks)

memory (ram sticks): im going to ask this the best way I can, people are getting confused when I ask this, im getting a gaming computer going it has 4 ram slots, I have 4 ddr3 two of them are 8GB(2x4GB) 1600MHZ1.50v the other two I want to use are patriot signature line 8GB(2x4GB kit) DDR3 UDIMM...
  8. How to choose RAM (memory)?

How to choose RAM (memory)?: Hi, I got Notebook computer Acer Aspire E5-576, i5 4 GB memory. (Windows 64 bit Japanese OS) I want to add 8 GB memory. I wonder how to choose which memory I could use in this computer? Or what points should I consider when I buy memory? Any help will be appreciated. Thank...
  9. System RAM memory

System RAM memory: Hello all; ever since I have had this computer, I built it, I have had the problem of only being able to use 1/2 of the RAM installed. I have looked up ways to fix the problem with no solution. My motherboard is a MSI B75MA-E33 and I looked up what RAM was suggested for this...
  10. RAM Memory Change

RAM Memory Change: Sir, Can Anyone advise.I buy 2nd hand HP Elite book Folio 9470m at first when i buy i check the configuration of RAM it was 8 GB with 500 GB HDD then after a few days My laptop suddenly appears Bootable Disc Not Found i learned from Comp.Technician that my HDD have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to choose ram

2. how to choose ram mhz

3. choosing rram memory 2018