Windows 10: How to clean a dirty/sticky laptop?

Discus and support How to clean a dirty/sticky laptop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had my dell xps 15 9550 since late 2016. I rarely use it by itself and have it hooked to 2 external monitors and an external keyboard. I noticed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, Sep 28, 2020.

1. How to clean a dirty/sticky laptop?

I had my dell xps 15 9550 since late 2016. I rarely use it by itself and have it hooked to 2 external monitors and an external keyboard. I noticed that when i finally am using it by itself with they keyboard without a monitor... my laptop is really dirty and sticky. Like the entire area to the left and below they keyboard is very sticky and stained.

What can i use on the laptop to clean it? Its literally sticking my palms when im using the keyboard. I did use some of those screen wipes on it but it doesn't seem to do much? Do i wipe it with alcohol? I do recall in computer shops, you see them have those sprays that they use for cleaning laptop but is that what is needed for this? If you touch the area to the left and right of the keyboard and below it... near the touchpad, it is extremely sticky... like imagine you had those mouse glue traps.

Do i buy products to clean it or go to a computer shop and ask if they could clean it? Like imagine you want to buy a used laptop on ebay and someone post a picture and you see like stains around the trackpad and near the keyboard to give you a picture of it. I don't know how it got like this as I always left it on a table and rarely even used the keyboard or anything.

:)

paulyjustin, Sep 28, 2020
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Cleaning off a Mac Laptop

cleaning it?

Step 1: buy about a half gallon of gasoline.

Step 2: douse laptop in gasoline.

Step 3: toss a burning match onto laptop.

Step 4: watch the fire clense your laptop.

3. Sticky Note Missing

Hi KeithRawlings,

I'm Charles, an Independent advisor trying to help.

Let's see if with the following steps we can solve the problem:

1.- Open >> Sticky notes, when located on the taskbar (Right click on the option) >> Select: List of Notes, now check if your note is in that list.

2.- Follow the steps suggested by the Windows MVP in your article

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-sticky-notes-lost...

I hope the steps work for you

Attentive to any comments

Have a happy day

Best Regards,

Charles.

CharlesJones32, Sep 28, 2020
  4. How to clean a dirty/sticky laptop?

How to clean dirty laptop physically/cosmetically?

Have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop bought years ago. It works fine. The exterior of it is a bit dirty but because its silver, it looks good.

Now when you open the laptop and look at the touchpad and the areas around the keyboard etc, there is like dirty fingerprints around that area. Also there is lot of dust around the keys on the keyboard as well. I previously would just take some tissue and wipe the dirty spots. But of course its still dirty. I don't want to use water on it as that can cause damage. I do have these wipes called wet ones...which are meant to wash your hands though but those should not be used on this right?

Also when you go on ebay and see people selling an old laptop, you notice how the area around the touchpad has stains/fingerprints etc. But is there a way to clean this without risk causing damage to it? The thing is i rarely use this laptop by itself, its pretty much connected to 2 external monitors always. But the thing is this laptop seems to collect a lot of dust.

Also my monitors and external keyboard i use for this laptop is very dirty. I previously used some wet ones on it and it was okay but didn't clean it fully. Like on the external wired keyboard, you see dust under the keys on it. But i don't want to get a new external keyboard because i like this keyboard a lot. It was from an old dell desktop and the size of it is bigger than regular size keyboard and i always found it comfortable, which is why i havent bought a new wired keyboard.

Does anyone have tips on how i can clean safely my laptop... my monitor and the keyboard? I did recall i saw some computer wiping screen wipes at walmart that seem to do this. So those are safe to use?

paulyjustin, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

How to clean a dirty/sticky laptop?

1. How to clean a dirty/sticky laptop? - Similar Threads - clean dirty sticky

2. Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way: Recently my laptop has started showing the "Scanning and Repairing Volume C:" message on every single boot up. After doing some research and running some scans, I discovered that my C: drive the SSD on which Windows is installed is "Dirty". I have been looking for different...
  3. Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way: Recently my laptop has started showing the "Scanning and Repairing Volume C:" message on every single boot up. After doing some research and running some scans, I discovered that my C: drive the SSD on which Windows is installed is "Dirty". I have been looking for different...
  4. Cannot clean up dirty volume in any way

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to clean a dirty drive where windows is installed?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clean a dirty drive where windows is installed?: Recently, my computer had an improper shutdown. Whenever it starts up, my computer "scans and repairs" the C drive for about 3 seconds then continues to boot as normal. Windows is installed on an SSD and when I run the commandchkntfs C: it says my C: is dirty. My computer is...
  6. How to clean dirty laptop physically/cosmetically?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to clean dirty laptop physically/cosmetically?: Have a dell xps 15 9550 laptop bought years ago. It works fine. The exterior of it is a bit dirty but because its silver, it looks good. Now when you open the laptop and look at the touchpad and the areas around the keyboard etc, there is like dirty fingerprints around that...
  7. Dirty Clean Installs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dirty Clean Installs: After three clean installs in a row, I found my efforts to fix my PC were undermined when each and every install was corrupt with an old slideshow on the new desktop, and some other settings that came from elsewhere/old pc from way back. Even with no internet hooked up for...
  8. How to clean stickiness from under keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to clean stickiness from under keyboard: i spilled lemonade on my keyboard :C Now some of the keys i use for gaming (space, esc, capslock) are really sticky underneath and feel horrible to press, which makes gaming something i avoid. how do i fix this? 109122
  9. Clean "Sticky Keyboard keys"

Clean "Sticky Keyboard keys": Anyone know how to clean "Sticky" keys on Gaming Keyboards. Ill explain i am left handed so i use the right ctrl key on my Logitech G510s a lot because its right next to the Direction keys so i can hit it with my index finger "or whats it called" The problem is i use that...
  10. How to clean stickiness from under keyboard

How to clean stickiness from under keyboard: You can disassemble the keyboard. Open it (remove a bunch of screws), and remove the circuit board. What's left is just the plastic enclosure and plastic keys. Dunk the whole thing in warm water (detergent optional). (Optional: You can remove every key from it's hole,...