Windows 10: How to Clean Boot / Run MSConfig whilst in Recovery Mode?

Discus and support How to Clean Boot / Run MSConfig whilst in Recovery Mode? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; PLEASE HELP I am currently trying to fix my Windows 10 Home computer and I have read several tutorials that all lead me to believe that the proper... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DayZStoner2003, Nov 15, 2020.

1. How to Clean Boot / Run MSConfig whilst in Recovery Mode?

PLEASE HELP

I am currently trying to fix my Windows 10 Home computer and I have read several tutorials that all lead me to believe that the proper course of action is to perform a Clean boot.

I am too tired to type out a full description of my variety of issues or the circumstances under which my computer stopped working yesterday right now, and if this solution does not work I will create a new post and be fully descriptive,

But right now I just need to know if it is possible to perform a clean boot from the Windows Recovery Environment. I cannot boot to Safemode without BSOD (Critical_Process_Died) and I can't boot my computer normally. There is virtually no way to run my original installation of windows right now.

Everything I have been doing to access my files / programs has been using the "Launch CMD" option in the Recovery environment blue screen and running notepad from CMD to browse my files.

I have a bootable USB with Windows installed onto it but I believe it may be isolated from the original installation of Windows on my C: Drive and that running MSConfig will only affect the installation on my USB.

Is there a way to run MS config / perform a clean boot from Command Prompt? I can run programs such as notepad and CMD by browsing System32 on Recovery Environment but whenever I find/click the MSconfig program, nothing happens.

This issue has been giving me a serious headache for a couple of days now and I would appreciate it so much if someone could help me sort this out. It's disheartening and I don't have the resources to back up my files right now for a clean windows reset, so it seems like I am stuck doing this the hard way and manually troubleshooting this thing. (Startup repair, uninstalling recent windows updates, refreshing windows to a previous working version all failed, wouldn't even execute properly)

submitted by /u/DayZStoner2003
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DayZStoner2003, Nov 15, 2020

2. MSConfig in Win10 breaks startup recovery (Safe mode etc)

After running MSConfig on Windows 10 (any version including the latest anniversary update) and making any changes to startup services, booting into recovery options no longer allows me to get to the 'Startup' menu (The menu with the Safe mode options where
    you choose a number). It boots straight past it back into normal Windows startup. It no longer boots to the startup selection screen after choosing to startup with that screen in the recovery options.

The only way to get into safe mode is by using MSConfig and the only way to get back to normal startup is also with MSConfig.

This occurred before the anniversary update but after doing an in-place-upgrade with the anniversary update I was then able to enter recovery and select Startup options under troubleshooting and it did indeed boot into the startup selection screen. However.
    Upon running MSConfig, making a few changes like disabling a service or app and applying it I was then unable to get that menu ever again.

Can anyone confirm that making changes in MSConfig in Windows 10 causes the loss of the startup screen once selected and rebooted from the recovery options?

**** Van Dyke, Nov 15, 2020
  3. Anna Bol Win User
    Computer Shuts Down When Woken From Sleep Mode

Hi,

To help resolve your issue, we suggest you follow the steps below:

Method 1:Run
    power troubleshooter

• On the search bar,type
      “Troubleshooting”

• Click
      “View All”
      on the left panel.

• Click
      Power,a new window will popup.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Safe mode

Check if issue persists in safe mode. To go to safe mode, follow these steps:

• Open Run Command (Windows
      button +R)

• A dialog box will open, type
      msconfig.

• Locate and select the Boot tab and select Safe with Minimal as option.

• Restart Computer.

Note:Follow
    the same procedure to undo Safe Mode, uncheck the Safe option and restart your system.

Method 3: Clean boot

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, kindly check in clean boot. To place your computer in clean boot, refer
    to this
    link

Note:
    Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in “How to
    reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot
    “ to reset computer as usual.

Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Anna Bol, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Tryx3 Win User

How to Clean Boot / Run MSConfig whilst in Recovery Mode?

Safe mode & clean boot procedures - how to make use of them

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

I wrote this Wiki article because I could never see the wood for the trees when reading suggested procedures for running Safe mode & Clean boot.
    I have tried to explain how you make use of these procedures not just how you do them.

Safe mode exists as an automatic fallback option for the OS if it is unable to boot properly.

Users can boot into Safe mode deliberately in order to investigate problems.
    Safe mode can be a useful tool for helping to identify their causes.
    In Safe mode, Windows only loads a very basic set of drivers & Windows components.
    It does not load third-party software.

• In essence, if a problem continues to occur in Safe mode then the problem is caused by Windows itself or by the basic hardware drivers loaded in Safe mode.

• Conversely, if a problem does not manifest itself in Safe mode then the problem is being caused by Windows settings, hardware drivers or applications.

If Safe mode booting does not sufficiently identify the cause of a problem then a more methodical approach to narrowing down its cause can be adopted.
    This is known as Clean boot.

Denis

Details

Warning - Safe mode, Clean boot & the internet

This article contains several links to online information.
    These should be read beforehand, and possibly printed to PDF, unless another computer is going to be available for reference during the Safe mode & Clean boot procedures.

• Windows Defender does not protect your computer during Safe mode - it does not run its Real time protection function.

• The services disabled during most of the Clean boot procedures will prevent Windows defender running correctly if it runs at all.

1 Booting into Safe mode

1.1 The procedure for booting into Safe mode is not the same as it was in earlier versions of Windows.

1.2 I use the procedure in section 3 of If
    the Admin prompt has a greyed out or missing Yes button but no password entry box, use the Built-In Admin account in Safe mode to create two new Admin accounts - Wiki

1.3 If you use the equivalent TenForums procedure then
    I suggest bypassing the use of MSConfig if possible because users have, in certain circumstances, found themselves locked into Safe mode.
    They could not boot normally until they had completed the procedures in
    Escape from Safe mode boot loop using an installation
    disk - Wiki

Making use of Safe mode

2.1 If the problem does not occur in Safe mode then the process of narrowing down its cause can start off by comparing elements relevant to the problem in Safe mode with their behaviour during normal running.
    You can use Device manager, Event viewer, RegEdit & most of Settings [but not its Update & security section].

• This approach could only apply if suspicion had already fallen on particular things.

• If there are no prime suspects then more comprehensive & systematic procedures need to be used to narrow down the cause of the problem i.e. Clean boot, see sections 3 & 4 below.

2.2 If the problem does occur in Safe mode as well then you should consider the system-wide recovery options available to you.

2.3 Safe mode can be used to conduct specific tasks that cannot be accomplished in normal running.

• As the Wiki article [para 1.2 above] illustrates, one use of Safe mode can be to recover system access despite corruption of all Admin users’ account profiles.

• You might be able to uninstall an application in Safe mode that you could not uninstall during normal operations.
      If you get a Windows Installer service error you should refer to the Microsoft guide in para 3.1 below.

• Beware of running malware scans in Safe mode.
      Your anti-malware application might not run correctly in this mode.
      Malwarebytes, for example, is not designed to run in Safe mode. The online

Microsoft Safety Scanner does run correctly in Safe mode

• Windows Defender can run scans using its old user interface [C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe] in Safe mode but I have been unable to find any confirmation that it scans effectively.
      If you cannot boot normally in order to use it then you might be better off creating the standalone

Windows Defender Offline
      tool on another computer.
    Running Clean boot

3.1 Microsoft’s guide to using Clean boot is in
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows - Windows help.
    I find it useful to start off by scanning down this article clicking on the dropdown arrows to expand the parts relevant to Windows 10 and only then to read it through properly.

3.2 The TenForums guide to using Clean boot is in
    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - TenForums

3.3 Both suggested procedures make use of MSConfig, a tool that is not quite the same as it was in previous Windows versions.
    There is no particular need to study the tool at this stage because the relevant procedures explain what to do with it during Clean boot.
    You can run MSConfig from C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe.
    There is a guide to it in the Wiki article
    MSConfig the System Configuration Tool
    [an article that MS endorses - see

How to open MSConfig in Windows 10
    ].

Making use of Clean boot

4.1 In brief, during Clean boot, you start off by disabling all Microsoft services [MSConfig], disabling all Start-up items [Task manager] and then restarting the computer.

4.2 If the problem does occur in the first Clean boot restart then you should consider the system-wide recovery options available to you [described in para 2.2 above].

4.3 If the problem does not occur in the first Clean boot restart then the guides steer you through forcing the problem to reappear & thus identifying its cause.

• This involves gradual re-enabling of Task manager Start-up items & MSConfig Services until the fault reappears thus identifying the last change made as its cause.

• This is time-consuming.

4.4 If Clean boot identifies the root cause of the problem but a solution is not apparent then I suggest posting a question in the forum to seek help.

• Create
      a new question of your own
      because simply tagging onto an existing one attracts very little attention, invites confusion & misinterpretation and tends to yield poorer responses.

• In a question of your own you can state the problem symptoms, describe the computer & its setup and explain the troubleshooting steps you have already taken.

• Always include a statement of the OS Edition-Version-Type, such as Windows 10 Home Ver 1703 32-bit.
      You can get the relevant Windows information by entering WinVer in a Command prompt window & by viewing
      Settings, System, About [which takes some time to appear].

• Include the name & version of anything else you think is relevant such as hardware drivers or applications.
      You can get hardware information in Device manager.

• Include diagrams, such as screenshots, by clicking on the picture icon in the toolbar at the top of the editing box.

• Try to impart as much understanding as somebody who had been looking over your shoulder would have acquired.

• Please remember that this is a user-to-user mutual assistance forum for MS products in which users ask questions and users answer questions.

• Ranting about MS hinders assistance by distracting readers’ attention away from your problem.

• Take care when selecting the dropdown choices underneath your question text because they determine the forum section in which your question appears.
      Many forum contributors display lists of the latest questions in the topics they have expertise in so posting your question in the wrong section can stop it being seen by the very people who could help you.

• If you get a reply that does not help then post again to say so in order to inform those that might be able to help you.
      Ignoring unhelpful replies can create the impression that they were indeed helpful & that the problem might even have been solved.

Denis

Tryx3, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

How to Clean Boot / Run MSConfig whilst in Recovery Mode?

1. How to Clean Boot / Run MSConfig whilst in Recovery Mode? - Similar Threads - Clean Boot Run

2. How to open msconfig from recovery mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open msconfig from recovery mode: I f*cked up the msconfig and now it bluescreens on boot, how do I open the msconfig from recovery mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-open-msconfig-from-recovery-mode/764cbc13-2a58-4459-84fc-721a21c97613
  3. How to open msconfig from recovery mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to open msconfig from recovery mode: I f*cked up the msconfig and now it bluescreens on boot, how do I open the msconfig from recovery mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-open-msconfig-from-recovery-mode/764cbc13-2a58-4459-84fc-721a21c97613
  4. How to open msconfig from recovery mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to get recovery keys to boot into safe mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get recovery keys to boot into safe mode?: I am trying to boot into safe mode but when i do i get a pop up saying bitlocker drive encryption is enabled on your OS drive. ect...i dont know what my recovery key or password is and im scared i might get locked out or something...
  6. How to get recovery keys to boot into safe mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get recovery keys to boot into safe mode?: I am trying to boot into safe mode but when i do i get a pop up saying bitlocker drive encryption is enabled on your OS drive. ect...i dont know what my recovery key or password is and im scared i might get locked out or something...
  7. Stuck in safe mode, can't run msconfig

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck in safe mode, can't run msconfig: I rebooted my computer into Safe Mode to uninstall some drivers. I did this using msconfig. Now that I am in Safe Mode, I can't run msconfig to get out. I try running the command and nothing happens. I have tried running it from the command prompt, and I get the same thing....
  8. No monitor after trying to boot to safe mode with msconfig

No monitor after trying to boot to safe mode with msconfig: I recently tried to restart my pcninto safe mode in order to run some diagnostics. I entered safemode through msconfig. After booting this way, my monitor has completely stopped recieving signal. Ive tried plugging it into other ports and even used other monitors with no...
  9. How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop

in Windows 10 Support
    How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop: This thread is based on a 2017 article I wrote in the MSAnswers forum, hence the rather dated screenshots. Getting into Safe mode by changing entries in MSConfig can sometimes get you stuck in Safe mode at every boot. - This thread only addresses the case of getting stuck...
  10. Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode

Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode: Hi I have a system recently converted to UEFI using MBR2GPT. Today I created a bootable DVD using Kyhi's Recovery Tools ISO and want to run it up to find out exactly what I've got and how it works. Snag is I can't boot up from CD or DVD - my system just hangs. I've done...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msconfig from recovery console