Windows 10: HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES

Discus and support HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES OR DEFREGMENT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jackieraskin, Nov 11, 2018.

1. HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES

HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES OR DEFREGMENT

:)

jackieraskin, Nov 11, 2018

2. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Nov 11, 2018
  4. Remon Ont Win User

HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES

1. HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES - Similar Threads - CLEAN EXTERNAL DRIVE

2. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive: So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says...
  3. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive: So, today i was having a presentation and when i plugged my pendrive in my laptop and tried to paste some items in it it gave me the following errors→ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folderwhen i click continue to give it the permission it says...
  4. Not able to Paste or delete files from an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting files from external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting files from external USB hard drive: This Windows 11 is something else. Not sure if this was a smart thing to do. But the damage is done.I am trying to delete some folders and all files on an external usb drive. The system is telling me I need administrator permission to do this. What am I supposed to do....
  6. Deleting files from external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting files from external USB hard drive: This Windows 11 is something else. Not sure if this was a smart thing to do. But the damage is done.I am trying to delete some folders and all files on an external usb drive. The system is telling me I need administrator permission to do this. What am I supposed to do....
  7. How to clean up mess from deleting a program file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to clean up mess from deleting a program file?: Yeah so pretty much the title. I can't find what I''m supposed to delete using revo uninstaller so I'm asking if there's anything else. I've also reinstalled windows while keeping all my apps saved. Is there anything I can do to wipe the mess of files left behind by program...
  8. deleting files from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting files from external hard drive: trying to delete and getting error code 0*80070570, what does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-from-external-hard-drive/8390b5f9-4abf-4ff3-aa8d-29caf58d76e1"
  9. How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive?: Newbie question... I have an EXT3 formatted drive. Whilst using Linux Reader I can copy files from this drive to my desktop PC. All fine. Linux Reader, being a 'reader', obviously does not allow deleting files. Gave ext2fsd a try, but the delete option is greyed out for...
  10. Deleted external drive files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted external drive files: I tried posting in the technical community but no one replied. Windows 10 was updating and seemed to add my external WD drive to a Storage Spaces. When I tried to recover it using a restore tool it turned the files into something it doesn't recognize when I try to open...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean up files in external drive