Windows 10: How to clean up excess partition on boot drive?

Discus and support How to clean up excess partition on boot drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Here's what disk management tells me: [img] How to merge the first and last partitions and free up the excess one? Yes I know it's "only" 0.5GB,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by perdrix, Jul 14, 2019.

1. perdrix Win User

How to clean up excess partition on boot drive?

Here's what disk management tells me:

How to clean up excess partition on boot drive? [​IMG]

How to merge the first and last partitions and free up the excess one?

Yes I know it's "only" 0.5GB, but the OCD part of me wants to sort it out *Smile

David

:)

perdrix, Jul 14, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 14, 2019
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps performed to resolve the issue. However, let’s try with the further troubleshooting steps and see if it works. Initially, I would suggest you to create a bootable media with a USB/Flash drive of capacity 8GB.
    For better understanding, you may watch the video with the procedure from the article on
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step
    Guide

Set the boot priority to USB once after creating a bootable media using a USB and proceed with the Windows Installation. On the drive selection window, press Shift + F10 keys to open the Command Prompt. Then follow the steps listed
    below:

• Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:
      diskpart
    • Once after executing the above command, type the following command to list the current drives and press Enter:
      list disk
    • List disk will give you the list of drives, use the following command to select the drive and press Enter: select disk 0
    • Type the following command to check if the disk is online: online disk
      (if the disk is not online)
    • Type the following command to clean the drive and press Enter:
      clean
    • To create a partition, type the following command and press Enter:
      create partition primary
    • To select the partition that you created, type the following command and press Enter:
      select partition 1
    • To set the partition active, type the following command and press Enter:
      active (if this is the boot partition)
    • Type the following command to assign a drive letter and press Enter:
      assign letter(letter)
    • After completing all this, close the command prompt screen and click on
      refresh button.
    • Then you will only have one drive with “unallocated space”, just select the partition to start the installation.

Let us know how it goes and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jul 14, 2019
  4. Dia01 Win User

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Jul 14, 2019
Thema:

1. How to clean up excess partition on boot drive? - Similar Threads - clean excess partition

2. How to clean up my C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clean up my C drive: Hi... i own a asus laptop with 256GB HDD and a later installed 1 TB HDD...my C drive now shows only 9.76 GB out of 129 GB free...and its marked in red.how can i clean this C drive.im on windows 11 now....
  3. How to clean up my C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clean up my C drive: Hi... i own a asus laptop with 256GB HDD and a later installed 1 TB HDD...my C drive now shows only 9.76 GB out of 129 GB free...and its marked in red.how can i clean this C drive.im on windows 11 now....
  4. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  5. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  6. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to clean up drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clean up drive.: i onyl have one drive on my pc and i want to delete evrything on it meaning clean it up so it doesnt have any data on it . *override it with 0* And i dont have a flash drive or a dvd to use a 3rd party application to do that. And i want to reinstall windows 10 manually and...
  8. System Reserved Partition Seems Excessive

in Windows 10 Support
    System Reserved Partition Seems Excessive: Hi all, I just went from a 500GB SSD to a 1TB SSD. I migrated the Drive C from old to new SSD using the Samsung app. I have been puzzled by the relative lack of space on the resulting new SSD. Here are the results of checking with Win 10 Disk Management routine: Total SSD...
  9. Excess Partitions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Excess Partitions?: [img] Here's my partition breakdown after updating to 1709. Which ones can I (or should I) throw away? 98714
  10. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive: Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved...