Windows 10: How to clean up this mess?

Discus and support How to clean up this mess? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just completed the Win10 Anniversary Update on my laptop. Doing that is another story - but this is what my boot drive looks like now: [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bbinnard, Oct 6, 2016.

1. bbinnard Win User

How to clean up this mess?

I just completed the Win10 Anniversary Update on my laptop. Doing that is another story - but this is what my boot drive looks like now:

How to clean up this mess? [​IMG]

This system was originally Win8 (I know, i should change the drive name) which i updated to Win10 when that came out. I never paid attention to the boot drive layout, but thought I should check after the AU update.

It looks like I've got a bunch of useless partitions out there, but how to tell which is which?

PS: the 2 TB disk is an external one I use for backups - I made a Macrium image of the C: drive before the AU update.

:)

bbinnard, Oct 6, 2016

2. How to clean up "This PC"?

Click Start, type: file explorer options

Go to the general tab

Click Restore defaults

If that does not work, you can always perform a repair upgrade:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Oct 6, 2016
  3. ekinsb Win User
    How to clean up "This PC"?

I've been trying to set up OneDrive to back up some of my user folders and probably made a couple of mistakes along the way but have it all working now except for one problem. My "Documents" folder is not displaying in "This PC" and instead there is an
    item named "New folder" in "This PC" that has the icon that the Documents folder should have but points to a folder called "New folder" because when I click on it I get an error that "New folder" is unavailable. The other usual folders are there "Desktop",
    "Downloads", "Music", etc. How can I create the item for "Documents" and delete the "New folder" item? Or change the name of "New folder" and point it to the correct documents folder?

ekinsb, Oct 6, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

You only need EFI and drive c the rest you can remove shift c to the left then expand it that's assuming you never want to recover back to 8. As a safe guard image all the disk before you do it so you can role back if needed

Samuria, Oct 6, 2016
  5. bbinnard Win User
    Excellent - thanks for the quick feedback. I'll be happy to reclaim the space.

bbinnard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to clean up this mess? - Similar Threads - clean mess

2. I messed up while clean booting and now my computer doesn't show the password box and says...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up while clean booting and now my computer doesn't show the password box and says...: After facing this issue I at first pressed set up new pin but it said to look for an app in the windows store which didn't work, then I pressed on restart while holding the shift button and then pressed troubleshooting. No matter which option I choose after that it wants my...
  3. I messed up while clean booting and now my computer doesn't show the password box and says...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I messed up while clean booting and now my computer doesn't show the password box and says...: After facing this issue I at first pressed set up new pin but it said to look for an app in the windows store which didn't work, then I pressed on restart while holding the shift button and then pressed troubleshooting. No matter which option I choose after that it wants my...
  4. I messed up while clean booting and now my computer doesn't show the password box and says...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean boot mess up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean boot mess up.: My laptop kept crashing for the past few times so I went to try and do a clean boot. Apparently, after the restart, I can't sign in or use my pin number. A reset doesn't seem to work nor system repair. Is there anything I can do or I gotta get a new laptop?...
  6. Clean boot mess up.

Clean boot mess up.: My laptop kept crashing for the past few times so I went to try and do a clean boot. Apparently, after the restart, I can't sign in or use my pin number. A reset doesn't seem to work nor system repair. Is there anything I can do or I gotta get a new laptop?...
  7. Something was wrong with Groove music so i tried to do a clean boot. I messed up and...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Something was wrong with Groove music so i tried to do a clean boot. I messed up and...: Something was wrong with Groove music so i tried to do a clean boot. I messed up and accidentally disabled all programs and restarted the computer so now my computer wont let me login. It keeps saying my passwords incorrect and there is no internet connection. I did...
  8. Something was wrong with Groove music so i tried to do a clean boot. I messed up and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something was wrong with Groove music so i tried to do a clean boot. I messed up and...: Something was wrong with Groove music so i tried to do a clean boot. I messed up and accidentally disabled all programs and restarted the computer so now my computer wont let me login. It keeps saying my passwords incorrect and there is no internet connection. I did...
  9. Something was wrong with Groove music so i tried to do a clean boot. I messed up and...

10. how di chang my ip adress and clean my computer fully of sofware that is causing this mess

how di chang my ip adress and clean my computer fully of sofware that is causing this mess: iv had all my accounts compramised and my ip is located no were nearme they are messing with every accound logingme out and changing my info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-di-chang-my-ip-adress-and-clean-my-computer/3513482a-25af-4b00-9efe-296c27c0b25e