Windows 10: How to clear a folder's icon when its contents are cleared out

Discus and support How to clear a folder's icon when its contents are cleared out in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; If I create a folder and put a shortcut to it on the desktop, the icon just looks like an empty folder. If I put videos into the folder, the shortcut's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JosephPHILIPPA, Apr 1, 2021.

1. How to clear a folder's icon when its contents are cleared out

If I create a folder and put a shortcut to it on the desktop, the icon just looks like an empty folder. If I put videos into the folder, the shortcut's icon changes to show part of the video thumbnail. When I remove the video from the folder, that icon does not revert to the original blank folder, but retains the bits of thumbnail. Is there a way to 'clear the icon' when the folder is cleared ?

:)

JosephPHILIPPA, Apr 1, 2021

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Apr 1, 2021
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Windows Ink Workspace - Reset/Clearing Contents Programmatically

Hi Robert,

Windows Ink Workspace is part of the system icons. Just like the Start button, the process of Windows Ink Workspace is not going to present in Task Manager. If do not want your users to use the Windows Ink Workspace, we recommend that you disable it. You
    can disable Windows Ink Workspace by following these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Select Personalization.
    • On the left pane, choose Taskbar.
    • Under Notification area, click Turn system icons on or off.
    • Locate Windows Ink Workspace, and then click the slider to turn it off.
    • You will now notice that the Windows Ink Workspace is gone from the Taskbar.

If you still want to have a function that will allow you to automatically reset or clear the contents of Windows Ink Workspace, we recommend that you post your suggested function using the Feedback Hub like what was mentioned by
    Erika Aro so that our Engineers can look into it and release your suggested feature on the next update of Windows 10.

Regards.

Argel Obm, Apr 1, 2021
  4. Zehlewi Win User

How to clear a folder's icon when its contents are cleared out

Clearing Windows Defender history

Hey, what you need to do is so simple, just follow the steps below exactly in order:
    1. Turn OFF Real-time Protection
    2. Turn OFF Cloud-delivered Protection
    3. Go to this folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service
    4. Delete the contents in the folder
    5. Turn ON Real-time Protection
    6. Turn ON Cloud-delivered Protection
    That's it... Now check protection History, it's empty.
    Done!

Zehlewi, Apr 1, 2021
Thema:

How to clear a folder's icon when its contents are cleared out

1. How to clear a folder's icon when its contents are cleared out - Similar Threads - clear folder's icon

2. How to clear out mail box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clear out mail box: Help me clear out old messages in *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is:*** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clear-out-mail-box/2b4dd1ce-f865-4971-bb26-7c2d34e223d8
  3. How to clear out mail box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clear out mail box: Help me clear out old messages in *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is:*** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clear-out-mail-box/2b4dd1ce-f865-4971-bb26-7c2d34e223d8
  4. How to clear disk space and how to figure out what to clear?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clear disk space and how to figure out what to clear?: So i havve that problem of my C drive being full constantly and i tried disk cleanup, deleting temp files, etc. I downloaded TreeSize and can see most of it is Steam Program files and was just wondering if i could get some help with next steps....
  5. How to clear disk space and how to figure out what to clear?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clear disk space and how to figure out what to clear?: So i havve that problem of my C drive being full constantly and i tried disk cleanup, deleting temp files, etc. I downloaded TreeSize and can see most of it is Steam Program files and was just wondering if i could get some help with next steps....
  6. Clear/transparent icon backgrounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear/transparent icon backgrounds: Yes, I googled it. everyone wants me to buy special/expensive software I can't afford or suggests things that don't work for PCs.Other's say there's a way to right click an image and make a specific color transparent... but only if you're using a cell phone.This is being used...
  7. Clearing Desktop Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Clearing Desktop Folders: Hello, I am looking to speed up my desktop computer. I read about moving folders into libraries, but it doesnt physically remove them from the desktop in order to free up space (currently using 109 GB of space on the desktop). When I added a folder into a library, and then...
  8. Icons for OneDrive - meaning not clear

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icons for OneDrive - meaning not clear: Hi I use OneDrive on both my desktop and laptop. On both, if I look in File Explorer, ALL of my OneDrive files have the "people" icon displayed, e.g. : [ATTACH] I certainly haven't shared all of these, in fact I just created the "Test Nonsense" file this morning, to test...
  9. windows defender; can't open quartine to clear out its contents

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender; can't open quartine to clear out its contents: can't clear quartined items from windows defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender-cant-open-quartine-to-clear-out/cf82df89-849f-4617-a8ae-6f73c74855b2
  10. Wrong icon on a folder and its contents. How to change.

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong icon on a folder and its contents. How to change.: FreeFileSync is a respected and efficient freeware/donationware for carrying out backups of changed files (eg., documents, pictures etc.). My FreeFileSync profiles (which specify how changed files will be copied to the backup) now have Photoshop icons, both the enclosing...