Windows 10: How to clear all Credentials from Credential Manager in Windows 10

Discus and support How to clear all Credentials from Credential Manager in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; At times, you may want to clear all credentials stored in the Credentials Manager; for example, when you’re having issues using your password on your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 9, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to clear all Credentials from Credential Manager in Windows 10

At times, you may want to clear all credentials stored in the Credentials Manager; for example, when you’re having issues using your password on your Windows 10 device, but the password works on all your other devices. In this post, we show you how to clear all credentials from Credential Manager in Windows 10 using a Batch file.

How to clear all Credentials from Credential Manager in Windows 10 Clear-all-credentials-from-Credential-Manager.jpg

Windows Credentials Manager is the place where your usernames and passwords, as well as other login details, are stored for later use in a digital library. This includes information for websites and apps, as well as network credentials.

Credentials are split into four categories viz:

• Windows Credentials – are used only by Windows and its services. For example, Windows can use these credentials to automatically log you into the shared folders of another computer on your network. It can also store the password of the Homegroup you have joined and uses it automatically each time you access what is being shared in that Homegroup. If you type a wrong log-in credential, Windows remembers it and fails to access what you need. If this happens, you can edit or remove the incorrect credential, as shown in later sections of this article.
    • Certificate-Based Credentials – they are used together with smart cards, mostly in complex business network environments. Most people will never need to use such credentials and this section is empty on their computers.
    • Generic Credentials – are defined and used by some of the apps you install in Windows so that they get the authorization to use certain resources. Examples of such apps include OneDrive, Slack, Xbox Network (formerly Xbox Live), etc.
    • Web Credentials – they represent login information for websites that is stored by Windows, Skype, Internet Explorer or other Microsoft apps. They exist only in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, but not in Windows 7.
    Clear all credentials from Credential Manager

While you can individually clear or remove credentials, you can create this batch file sourced from Github and run it to clear all credentials from Credential Manager. Here’s how:

• Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
    • In the Run dialog box, type notepad and hit Enter to open Notepad.
    • Copy and paste the code below into the text editor.

@Echo off
    cmdkey.exe /list > "%TEMP%\List.txt"
    findstr.exe Target "%TEMP%\List.txt" > "%TEMP%\tokensonly.txt"
    FOR /F "tokens=1,2 delims= " %%G IN (%TEMP%\tokensonly.txt) DO cmdkey.exe /delete:%%H
    del "%TEMP%\List.txt" /s /f /q
    del "%TEMP%\tokensonly.txt" /s /f /q
    echo All done
    pause
    • Save (to the desktop, preferably) the file with a name and append the .bat file extension – eg; ClearCREDS.bat and on the Save as type box select All Files.

To clear all credentials, simply run the batch file with admin privilege (right-click the saved file and select Run as Administrator from the context menu).

You can also schedule the batch file to run automatically in Windows 10 if you want.

That’s it!

Related post: How to Add, Backup, Restore User Credentials using Windows Vault.

How to clear all Credentials from Credential Manager in Windows 10 Clear-all-credentials-from-Credential-Manager.jpg
    This article How to clear all Credentials from Credential Manager in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 9, 2021
  2. Clark Ari Win User

Credential Manager

Hi,

Credential Manager is one of Windows feature that will let you save credentials like usernames and passwords so that you can easily log in to a website or secure computers. We'd like to know the following so we can better assist you.

• Which build and version of Windows are you using? To check it, click
      Start
      , type winver, then press Enter.
    • Are you making changes to Web Credentials or
      Windows Credentials?
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    • Is your account being managed by a domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In order for us to resolve the issue, we need to make sure that the Credential Manager service and its Dependencies are started and working properly. As an initial troubleshooting to resolve the issue, kindly follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R key, type inetcpl.cpl in
      Run dialog box and hit Enter.
    • Under Internet Properties, click Content tab, then under
      AutoComplete select Settings.
    • Under AutoComplete settings, clear all the checked entries, click
      OK and then reselect the entries as selected before and again click
      OK.
    • Once done, restart your computer, then check if the issue persists.

Please post back with the result for further assistance.

Clark Ari, May 9, 2021
  3. Cannot clear network access credentials

I access a network server using a username + password. I'd like to use another username+password, but I cannot clear the old credentials. What I've done until now:

1. there was nothing to delete in Windows credentials (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager)
    2. net use * /del
    3. klist purge
    4. restart explorer
    5. restart PC
    6. changed the password on the server, and saving NEW credentials on the PC. When I reverted back to original server password, the PC connected automatically (this makes me think that those credentials were saved somewhere, but I don't know where).

amimandami, May 9, 2021
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

Windows Network Credentials

Hi Keith,

We suggest that you disable Credential Manager before mapping your Drives. Please follow these steps to disable Credential Manager:

• In the search box type “Services
    • Right click on “Services” and select “Run as Administrator
    • In the Services Window, look for Credential Manager Service and click “Stop”.
    • Restart the computer and go back the Credential Manager Service and set it to “Automatic”.
    • Restart the computer again.

Please keep us updated if you were able to map your drives.

Ryan Fra, May 9, 2021
Thema:

1. How to clear all Credentials from Credential Manager in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - clear Credentials Credential

2. Web credentials in Credential manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web credentials in Credential manager: I am having an uwp app using password vault, so my credentials are stored under the Web credential in credential manager and we have a situation so i need to change the publisher id of the app because of this the app will be treated as new app so i planned to run a powershell...
  3. Web credentials in Credential manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web credentials in Credential manager: I am having an uwp app using password vault, so my credentials are stored under the Web credential in credential manager and we have a situation so i need to change the publisher id of the app because of this the app will be treated as new app so i planned to run a powershell...
  4. VPN credentials will not clear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN credentials will not clear: Hello. I utilize a PowerShell script to install our companies vpn connection with the Windows built in VPN feature. I have never had any issues running this process before. Today marked the first day for a new remote user. After attempting to connect, the user is prompted...
  5. VPN credentials will not clear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN credentials will not clear: Hello. I utilize a PowerShell script to install our companies vpn connection with the Windows built in VPN feature. I have never had any issues running this process before. Today marked the first day for a new remote user. After attempting to connect, the user is prompted...
  6. Clear all credentials for "Access work or school"

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Clear all credentials for "Access work or school": Hi,I am referencing "Access work or school" in the settings menu on a shared computer.I need to know how to clear all the credentials using a batch file during login or disable people from saving them in this computer.I leave the computer switched on for a month and there are...
  7. Windows Credentials no longer in Credential Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Credentials no longer in Credential Manager: Hi, I can no longer login to any Office 365 software, access Onedrive, or even access various sites that require live Id login. I use onedrive with my business and it is making things very difficult to process data. I did reset my password and have access via my mobile...
  8. Credential manager - Web Credentials

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Credential manager - Web Credentials: For quite some time now I have been troubleshooting this issue, but can not find any solution to it yet. Registry changes nor GPO setting help to solve this issue. So, what I am experiencing. I am running my laptop on Windows 10 Insider latest build with Edge Chromium. I...
  9. Credential Manager clearing all passwords at restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Credential Manager clearing all passwords at restart: I have a new windows 10 PC I recently setup for a client of mine. It appears every time the PC restarts all credentials generic or windows are cleared from credential manager This is affecting Outlook 2019, network shares and most recently carbonite backup. I originally...
  10. How to stop credential manager from saving credentials automatically on Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop credential manager from saving credentials automatically on Windows 10...: How to stop credential manager from saving credentials automatically on Windows 10 Professional? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-credential-manager-from-saving/61d95177-ee17-4d33-9560-250aa3dfad18