Windows 10: How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?

Discus and support How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I own a 120GB SSD I'd like to install in my desktop PC. Currently I have a 500 GB HDD, almost full, just a single partition. I need some way to clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sweaty-Mistake, Jan 6, 2021.

1. How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?

I own a 120GB SSD I'd like to install in my desktop PC.
    Currently I have a 500 GB HDD, almost full, just a single partition.
    I need some way to clone it with the option of selecting just what I want to clone (in my case just Windows and my programs). Then I'd like to use my HDD as a secondary drive, for storing data.

Is it possible? I read about Macrium Reflect but I don't know if it does the trick

submitted by /u/Sweaty-Mistake
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sweaty-Mistake, Jan 6, 2021

2. Unable to clone Windows 10 image from 1TB HDD to 500 GB SSD

I am replacing 1TB HDD on my laptop with 500GB SSD. The C drive (with Windows 10 OS) on HDD is of 119GB. The image of the OS - with all customizations, software and files - that I have created on an external HDD is of 76GB. I have tried restoring the image on to the SSD:

• As one single partition or creating a new partition of 120 GB.
    • Restore image using Windows 10 bootable USB as well as CD.
    • Restore image using Windows 10 recovery USB as well as CD.
    • Restore image from bare Windows 10 OS freshly installed on SSD.

In all the cases, the error message displayd is:

I thought if cloning the image by inserting the SSD in an external casing (I've tried two different ones from a local market) using software available for the purpose. But the laptop or the OS are not able to detect SSD from the casing. Not even in Disk Management. They are detecting HDD only.

Is there any workaround or hack to clone the image on the SSD?

Regards

kush.impetus, Jan 6, 2021
  3. Smears Win User
    Restore Image or Clone from HDD to new SSD?

I have a single, non-partitioned (C:\ drive only) 500GB HDD in a desktop PC, using approx. 80 percent of it. I want to install a 500GB SSD, and clone or restore an image of the HDD to it. Once that's complete and successful, I plan to wipe the 500GB HDD
    and then move my large libraries of media from the newly installed SSD to it. My future holds lots of video editing and compiling, so the extra storage will help, along with the better performance via the SSD (and upgraded RAM as well).

I'm unable to find after much research a definitive answer as to whether cloning the HDD to the SSD is better than restoring an image of the HDD to the SSD. I've read where cloning will carry over bad sectors and such where imaging will not. I think I'm
    leaning toward image restore, keeping a copy of it on an external 1TB drive I have, to which I can periodically do image backups of the new, separate drives.

I'd also like to find a tutorial re: the same. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smears, Jan 6, 2021
  4. gibbsy09 Win User

How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?

Clone Windows 10 From 500GB HDD TO 240GB SSD

Hi looking for the easiest and hassle free as possible way, to clone Windows 10 from 500GB HDD to 240GB SSD, seen a tutorial using easus, clone and back, on YouTube using a usb to sata cable, is this a good way to proceed, or could I run into problems, looking for any suggestions Thanks.

gibbsy09, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD?

1. How to clone a 500GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD? - Similar Threads - clone 500GB HDD

2. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  3. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  4. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  6. Clone Windows 10 From 500GB HDD TO 240GB SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows 10 From 500GB HDD TO 240GB SSD: Hi looking for the easiest and hassle free as possible way, to clone Windows 10 from 500GB HDD to 240GB SSD, seen a tutorial using easus, clone and back, on YouTube using a usb to sata cable, is this a good way to proceed, or could I run into problems, looking for any...
  7. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  8. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  9. How to clone hdd to ssd

How to clone hdd to ssd: please tell me how to change my laptop harddisk hdd to sdd without any data loss. through the cloning. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd/857c7761-b81d-491e-b669-9679f8b69e0c
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058