Windows 10: How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

Discus and support How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by overwell, Apr 23, 2019.

1. overwell Win User

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

Hello.

I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an old notebook (secondary) with Windows 8.1 installation (legacy BIOS, non-UEFI, MBR).

Is there more or less simple way to clone Windows 10 OS from my work laptop to this legacy notebook? I'd like to have BIOS notebook on standby in another location having the same OS and apps installed, and be able to restore to secondary notebook from system backups that I do for my main laptop.

My original intention was to use Acronis Universal Restore (because I'm using ATI for backups and restores) or AOMEI's software, but then I realized that I'm backing up UEFI installation with GPT, while secondary notebook is BIOS with MBR. So my guess is that this scenario complicates things to some degree. But is it still doable?

:)

overwell, Apr 23, 2019

2. Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Apr 23, 2019
  3. FX-GMC Win User
    Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

I think you were on track with your first try. Windows installer probably needs the RAID driver in order to detect it on install.

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop? [​IMG]

FX-GMC, Apr 23, 2019
  4. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

Can I install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in the UEFI-BIOS

Can I still install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in its UEFI-BIOS?

I tried but when starting the install routine from USB-Stick it asks me for a key.

I was wondering about that because I thought that the install routine would check the UEFI-BIOS for a valid key.

I entered the key from the UEFI-BIOS manually by myself but the routine did not accept it.

So I didn't install Win10 because I don't want to have a not activated one.

46g_47f7xnt4dr4p, Apr 23, 2019
Thema:

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

1. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop? - Similar Threads - clone Win10 UEFI

2. HDD Cloning/UEFI booting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD Cloning/UEFI booting?: I was able to get my MBR HDD cloned to a 4TB GPT using Macrium Relfect. I've got the BIOS set to UEFI but it's not seeing the drive as bootable. Is there a step I'm missing here? This is on a Dell Optiplex 9010. submitted by /u/TexasBaconMan [link] [comments]...
  3. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  4. Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?: I will be installing win 10 home on a new ssd drive on a new system. I've read Brink's how to on downloading and installing from a bootable usb. Should I opt for a UEFI install or non UEFI? What precautions do I take to make sure my components are compatible with UEFI? Do I...
  5. UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible: Hi there Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it. In the configuration file set the following firmware="efi" That's it !!! Note you must do this BEFORE installing the VM - you can't change it...
  6. Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi)

Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi): Hi everyone! I was wondering if there is an easy way of installing W10 in larger disks (+2TB) on systems with no UEFI Support Right now my HDD is formatted with MBR, windows 10 is installed in it, and have ~700GB of unallocated space wich i cant use due to partition...
  7. Install with UEFI or not?

Install with UEFI or not?: Hi there, I'm building a Win10 system on an Intel NUC6i3syk. I'm planning to follow Brink's tutorial to create a USB stick for installation of Win10 Home (I purchased an OEM DVD for the license.) I'm not sure about UEFI, what is it, should I use it, etc.? Is there a page...
  8. How To Burn Win10 ISO as UEFI?

How To Burn Win10 ISO as UEFI?: I've been googling around but still I can't find a way to burn an ISO into a disc as UEFI. I know I can just simply use Rufus to create a UEFI bootable ISO but I would also like to learn how to burn it into a blank DVD disk as UEFI compatible. Thanks! 51242
  9. Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?

Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?: I will be replacing (Upgrading) the motherboard (and CPU) in my desktop in the near future. The current Win 10 is not UEFI. Can it be converted to UEFI (GPT) or do I have to do a "clean" install to get UEFI? I assume the answer is NO, but wanted to check. 69592
  10. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...