Windows 10: How to clone Windows 10 from old SSD to new SSD with only 1 M.2 slot?

Discus and support How to clone Windows 10 from old SSD to new SSD with only 1 M.2 slot? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I have a 120 gig SSD in my laptop. I only have the OS in it. I'm upgrading to a 500 GB SSD, and I want to clone Windows 10 to the larger SSD but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vpsj, Dec 4, 2019.

1. /u/vpsj Win User

How to clone Windows 10 from old SSD to new SSD with only 1 M.2 slot?

Hi, I have a 120 gig SSD in my laptop. I only have the OS in it. I'm upgrading to a 500 GB SSD, and I want to clone Windows 10 to the larger SSD but the problem is I only have 1 m.2 slot in my laptop.

I tried searching online and most people are just suggesting buying an enclosure but those are for some reason quite expensive in my country(maybe they are imported or something? idk) and anyway I don't want to buy something that I only have one-time use, as I'm already stretching my budget for the 500 gig ssd.

I have thought of two solutions, but I need a little bit of advice in both the cases:

Solution A):

1) I make a clone of my old ssd using Macrium, I copy it to my external HDD(I have two, one is 1 TB and one is 4TB)

2) I replace the ssd in the m.2 slot, somehow boot into Windows, run the Macrium software and transfer the image to the new ssd.

3) Obviously where I'm getting stumped is how to boot into Windows without the old ssd. Is there some way I can make a bootable usb drive? Something temporary, which is capable of running the cloning software? I thought of making a windows 10 bootable usb but can it run Windows live? I mean without installing Windows somewhere?

Solution B:

1) I have my sister's old laptop lying around. It's excruciatingly slow to use, but it does have an empty M.2 slot.

2) So if I put the new ssd in the spare laptop, connect the two laptops using an Lan/ethernet cable or something, is there a way for me to clone the old ssd and transfer it to the new ssd?

If you can think of a different solution, please help me out. I don't want to clean install Windows right now, and I can't afford buying an enclosure either, so I'm looking for a solution that can work with my existing hardware.

Some details that might be important:
    Laptop: ROG GL552VX
    Old ssd(currently in the laptop): WD Green 120GB
    New ssd: WD Blue 500 GB

If I missed any other details, please tell me and I'll update the post. If you can think of any solution that can work in my case, please do reply. Thank you How to clone Windows 10 from old SSD to new SSD with only 1 M.2 slot? :)

submitted by /u/vpsj
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vpsj, Dec 4, 2019

2. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

I'm not using the SATA ports. I'm using M.2 with the SSD, and the external SSD is connected to my PC using USB. My MB only has only one M.2 socket, so I can only plug in one SSD at a time. (I bought a wrong adapter that doesn't work with NVMe) So I cloned
    my old SSD to an external SSD (Samsung M3 Portable SSD), and then swapped the old one, cloned the external SSD to my new SSD.

I tried AOMEI too, but the free version does not come with disk clone functions. I would probably try Macrium Reflect as suggested above. Thank you!

allenyao09, Dec 4, 2019
  3. Clone old SSD to USB to new SSD

So I planned to upgrade my current 128gb SSD to 512gb SSD on my laptop. As my laptop has only 1 m.2 slot, is it possible for me to:

1. Clone my current 128gb SSD (consist of Windows 10 and a few softwares) using EaseUS to my Sandisk Extreme Pro 128gb usb
    2. Then plug in my new 512gb SSD and boot up through my Sandisk usb
    3. And then clone the data from my Sandisk usb back to my new SSD?

Will this method work? And will the license key still be usable after the cloning?

Eirfuun Niann, Dec 4, 2019
  4. How to clone Windows 10 from old SSD to new SSD with only 1 M.2 slot?

M.2 cloned from SSD dive, bios problems

did you cloned only C partition to new m.2 dad ? .

did you see new m.2 is detected by bios? , if not means get updated bios and flash it .

or restore the bios default settings .

after cloned c partition, remove old ssd, then boot the Windows 10 dvd and try to repair startup repair

RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

How to clone Windows 10 from old SSD to new SSD with only 1 M.2 slot?

1. How to clone Windows 10 from old SSD to new SSD with only 1 M.2 slot? - Similar Threads - clone old SSD

2. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  3. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  5. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  6. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to.: I've tried Sysinfo32, CPU-Z, HwMonitor and Diskpart. I have 3xM.2's in a PC. They are all 970 Pro 1TB. I am continuously having to remove drives and power up the PC to see which drive I just removed. Bit of a pain when one is under the GPU. I'm upgrading one of the 1TB...
  8. Cloning OS from SSD to M.2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning OS from SSD to M.2: I'm ordering my first M.2 drive and I need advice. 500g ssd to 500g m.2 Can I clone the OS? What program should I use to clone? Should I just reinstall windows? 149234
  9. best way to clone SATA M.2 SSD to PCIe M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    best way to clone SATA M.2 SSD to PCIe M.2 SSD?: Long story short: I have a Gigabyte Mini ITX motherboard with a 256GB Sandisk SATA III M.2 SSD in it that I'm replacing with a 1TB Intel PCIe M.2 SSD and would like to keep my OS and everything. My current plan ins to put the old SSD into a USB enclosure so I can boot from...
  10. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clone ssd to ssd 1 slot

2. can i clone ssd with only one in at a time

3. can you clone 183gig windows to 120 gig sdd

4. how to clone windows 10 to ssd KingMax,
  5. clone.windows 10 from slot 1 to.slot 2,
  6. problems with cloning windows 10 from older to newer hardware,
  7. clone ssd 1 slot