Windows 10: How to close Skype

Discus and support How to close Skype in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm running build 10240 Pro with no problems except 1: the only way I can close Skype is with TaskManager. None of the other methods work - it always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bbinnard, Jul 19, 2015.

1. bbinnard Win User

How to close Skype

I'm running build 10240 Pro with no problems except 1: the only way I can close Skype is with TaskManager. None of the other methods work - it always remains active. I've tried the Skype options for End and Quit, Alt-F4, all of the various command line options out there, and nothing works. THe only way to truly end it is with TaskManager.

Am I the only one with this issue? Is there some special way to end it that only exists in Win10? Or are we stuck with it staying active till the cows come home?

:)

bbinnard, Jul 19, 2015
  2. Lex Del Win User

lost my skype account having stolen my mobile

Hi Alauddin,

If you want to close your Skype account, we suggest that you visit this link: Close my account for Skype. Please see
    the steps under "Before you close your Skype account" and "How to close your Skype account". You can also change or reset the password of your account by visiting this link:

How do I change or reset my password for Skype?

Let us know if you need further assistance

Lex Del, Jul 19, 2015
  3. close Skype

how do I close the Skype application?

theking2---01, Jul 19, 2015
  4. DKW
    DKW Win User

How to close Skype

You can disable options in Services. Do a search from the Search Bar.

5. Look in settings > Privacy > Background apps

I don't have Skype installed on this build, but if it's in the settings above, try throwing the switch to off.

Is this the desktop Skype or the universal app Skype?
    You might consider suing the Desktop Skype - you'll still have to use the Quit Skype option, but at least it quits.
    Download Skype for Desktop

Slartybart, Jul 19, 2015
  6. bbinnard Win User
    Excellent feedback guys - thanks.

Slarty: good grief! Look at all that (*#^%$@^ MS set up to run in the background. I was not aware of any of that so I just turned it all off. Every single one. Maybe I am just too old school (I started before MSDOS existed), but if I want my PC to do something I'll tell it what that is.

For whatever reason Skype was not one of the apps listed there, so I'll move on to DKW's suggestion to stop the service.

DKW: I started services.msc but the only Skype related thing there was Skype Updater which I had previously disabled by using AutoRunS. After I start Skype and try to stop it what I'm left with is a task name Skype (32bit) which is what I believe is the stand-alone/desktop Skype I downloaded from the Skype website.

I'm still in the dark as to why this won't shut down, even after using one of the command line options that worked great in Win7. Task Manager is still the only way I can get it to end.

bbinnard, Jul 19, 2015
  7. It has to be the uniApp Skype.

I use desktop apps mostly - they're more mature and feature rich.

Slartybart, Jul 19, 2015
  8. bbinnard Win User

How to close Skype

This is the command I use for starting Skype: C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe. That is what I DL'd and installed from the Skype website. So it should behave normally/properly. What is the uniApp Skype?

bbinnard, Jul 19, 2015
  9. uniApp = Universal App = Modern App = Metro App

I'll have to test Skype again ... the Phone folder in the location string you posted is new to me. I might just have a very ancient install that got updated along the way.

It looks as though you have the Desktop Skype installed, but maybe MS has fiddled with it for phone/mobile and it's not what I'm using. It will be a while before I get back, hopefully another member will swing by and post the definitive answer.

Slartybart, Jul 19, 2015
  10. bbinnard Win User
    Since I did a clean install I had to reinstall everything, and my normal procedure is to download the latest versions of software that is downloadable. So I do indeed have the most recent version of Skype desktop.

I have never used a Metro app and don't expect that to change. I do have an Android phone and use several Android apps on that, but a phone is a phone, and a PC is a PC.

I do believe MS changed the overall structure of Skype shortly after they took it over. I used t use the portable version, but that was a while ago. I am surprised no one else has discovered this problem with the current desktop version.

bbinnard, Jul 19, 2015
  11. Azural Win User
    I've been having the same problem since the last build. Though, I'm not entirely sure if the problem started after a Skype update or Windows build change.

Azural, Jul 20, 2015
  12. Just beginning to test, but the 1st thing I noticed is that the current Skype default install location is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\

How to close Skype [​IMG]

You install has the 'extra' \Phone\ folder - not sure that matters though. Be back after finishing the Skype install.

I deselected Click-to-Call, Bing, and MSN homepage

Slartybart, Jul 20, 2015
  13. How to close Skype

Interesting - the 'extra' \Phone\ folder was created on my machine too - so that's not a cause (was thinking a left-over mobile version install)

Anyway, Skype quits fine after I installed it on this machine. It will sit in the system tray until you right click and select 'quit' Task manager showed that it was gone (not idling waiting for an incoming conversation (phone, sms, video...)

There might be some option set that is causing the issue on your machine. I basically limit Skype to people in my contact list in any option that list that as an option.

Tools, options, General:
    deselect Skype Wifi
    deselect Start when Windows starts,

Tools, options, Privacy:
    deselect Allow ads

Tools, options, Advanced:
    deselect all

Here are the images I grabbed during the install to show what I think might contribute to the issue on your machine. You might go through Tools Options to change anything that you can change, or uninstall Skype (all your configuration is stored on Skype, so a new install picks up contacts, blocked senders, and you profile picture - probably more - some things do have to be configured anew (who can contact you ...)

See if configurations changes help first.

The most important might be to deselect start Skype when Windows starts - hard to tell.

If you decide to try a reinstall - use File Explorer to search for Skype and rename any Skype folders (pgm file, appdata... any location) except
    Windows\WinSxS, Windows\System32, or Windows\SysWOW64

That's the best I can offer - good luck and please post any updates on the issue.

Thanks,

Bill

Slartybart, Jul 20, 2015
  14. bbinnard Win User
    Got it! Thanks Bill - turns out nothing worked other than deleting and re-installing. I used Advanced Uninstaller Pro to delete it; I've used this software for a couple of years now with good success. It deletes things with a 3-step process: (1) run the app's normal delete routine, (2) scan for any registry entries related to the app, list them, and let you delete any/all/none, (3) scan for any disk files related to the app, list them, and let you delete any/all/none of them.

I deleted everything associated with Skype and then did the normal download and install. After that it ended OK. I do not recall any problems or strangeness I had with the original install, but who knows - stranger things have happened.

Thanks again - I guess I should have thought of that myself. Maybe I really am getting old.

bbinnard, Jul 20, 2015
  15. Excellent! Glad you got it sorted.

I've seen many strange things *Zip - nothing phases me anymore

You're not getting old, you're getting older *Wink

Thanks for marking your thread solved

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to close Skype

1. How to close Skype - Similar Threads - close Skype

2. Microsoft account that tagged as both family administrator and member was already closed...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account that tagged as both family administrator and member was already closed...: I was prompted to create a Microsoft account on my laptop but I selected random numbers as my birthday so the system tagged me as a family member. The same email address was also registered as the administrator. I have since closed said account but on my device, I still can't...
  3. Microsoft account that tagged as both family administrator and member was already closed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft account that tagged as both family administrator and member was already closed...: I was prompted to create a Microsoft account on my laptop but I selected random numbers as my birthday so the system tagged me as a family member. The same email address was also registered as the administrator. I have since closed said account but on my device, I still can't...
  4. Skype closes only unexpectedly

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Skype closes only unexpectedly: I open Skype and it closes only unexpectedly. What should I do to make Skype work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype-closes-only-unexpectedly/eab07354-ee20-4866-9232-6bfbcfc1de9c"
  5. why does skype app closes while in call, and why does skype calls drops

in Windows 10 Customization
    why does skype app closes while in call, and why does skype calls drops: window 10 lab top from last update every call I make or receive the app closes when I mean closes it crash's, two why does skype drop calls with good connection hard wired, and many others have the same issue...
  6. why does skype app closes while in call, and while does skype calls drops

in Windows 10 Customization
    why does skype app closes while in call, and while does skype calls drops: window 10 lab top from last update every call I make or receive the app closes when I mean closes it crash's, two why does skype drop calls with good connection hard wired, and many others have the same issue...
  7. Skype closes immediately after launching

Skype closes immediately after launching: Hi, I just asked Cortana to open Skype, so she did, and when Skype showed the loading it immediately closed itself. I don't really have too much information, other than this is a Windows 10 Home Version 1803 Build 17738.1000, according to the "About" tab in the settings....
  8. Skype for business Closes Immediately after opening in Windows 10

Skype for business Closes Immediately after opening in Windows 10: Hi, we are using Skype for business basic with office 365. It was working with windows 7 perfectly. When we installed it for our new windows 10 PCs it produces some error. 1. It crashes on 'Welcome to skype for business' screen 2. In some PCs It closes automatically after...
  9. Windows can't auto close Skype on shutdown

Windows can't auto close Skype on shutdown: When i shutdown windows Skype will not automatically close, giving me the error in the picture below. I have to manually right click on the Skype icon in the system tray and quit it, then shutdown windows again. It's a hassle. I've reinstalled Skype. I'm running latest...
  10. Skype - A more modern, mobile way to stay close

in Windows 10 News
    Skype - A more modern, mobile way to stay close: A few months ago we told you about our plans to modernize Skype with our next generation call infrastructure and improved call quality, available in the most recent releases of all major desktop and mobile platforms. We’re continuously looking for ways to improve and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. skypeskype closes immediately

2. how to close skype program

3. how to close skype 2019