Windows 10: How to compare text files to create a new file?

Discus and support How to compare text files to create a new file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One notepad file was installed on multiple computers. When each computer was used the notepad file was updated. Text was added, removed, or modified... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zbook, Mar 18, 2019.

1. zbook Win User

How to compare text files to create a new file?

One notepad file was installed on multiple computers.
    When each computer was used the notepad file was updated.
    Text was added, removed, or modified over time to each of the files.
    The files are very different now for the same file name.

What software is available that could compare the text and create one updated file for all of the computers?

:)

zbook, Mar 18, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Mar 18, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder

Hi, can only think you'd need to create a simple script.

First create a file containing a textual representation of just the file names in the folder.
    (That's one line using a DIR command, for example).

Then use e.g.
    https://www.diffchecker.com/

Just an idea..

There are many option for comparing text files:
    How To Compare Two Text Files Using Notepad++
    Text Compare! - An online diff tool that can find the difference between two texts
    WinMerge - You will see the difference…

That might work if the two files contain ordered lists, one item per line.

If the files are for some reason radically different in format and layout, you would need to create your own search and compare script.

dalchina, Mar 18, 2019
  4. oily_17 Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

1. How to compare text files to create a new file? - Similar Threads - compare text files

2. Comparing two files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Comparing two files: I'm trying to currently compare two documents with about 2,000 lines on both. I need the second document to have the exact same number of lines as the master one, with the same names. Placement doesn't matter, just as long as the lines sre the same and are in both documents,...
  3. Comparing two files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Comparing two files: I'm trying to currently compare two documents with about 2,000 lines on both. I need the second document to have the exact same number of lines as the master one, with the same names. Placement doesn't matter, just as long as the lines sre the same and are in both documents,...
  4. how often are new system files created?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how often are new system files created?: i feel like every single day when i go into my file explorer, more and more system files are there, and their creation dates are as soon as that precise day. are they a daily thing? i’m so confused submitted by /u/socksgrowonbushes [link] [comments]...
  5. How to create a text file with all files on a drive along with dates created?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create a text file with all files on a drive along with dates created?: What command would create a text file containing all of my directories and files on my c: drive, but also list the dates each one was created? I have done tree /f /a text document.txt which gave me all of the files but no dates. submitted by /u/majustyx [link] [comments]...
  6. "Create Text File" Option Missing from NEW submenu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Create Text File" Option Missing from NEW submenu: As a totally-blind user, I have relied heavily on the "Create Text File" option in the New submenu for an easy way to create a batch file, play list, and other pure text files in Notepad. Sadly, this option is GONE! I found a Registry Edit issued by the Microsoft Answer...
  7. How to compare files with different line endings

How to compare files with different line endings: I have two versions of a software package. These are php files so normally I compare them with the directory compare function of Winmerge. However, in this case on of the two has Windows line endings crlf and the other unix lf. So Winmerge concludes that every line is...
  8. Creating new files and folders

Creating new files and folders: Every time I try to make a new folder or save a new file windows will not allow me. When i try yo make a new folder the following appears. [ATTACH] When scanning a document I get this [ATTACH] and when i try to save a word document I get this [ATTACH] Other apps give...
  9. Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder

Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder: Hi, I have a text files containing a list of file names and I wish to compare that to a folder with files in it. The folder contains a rather large number of files and I want to see if files in that folder exist in the file with the list of file names. Hope I have explained...
  10. How to compare two files.

How to compare two files.: What is the best way to do a byte by bye comparison of two large files - Windows 10 64 bit. There is an FC command but when run in the Power Shell I think it wants to do a 'Format Custom'! 37671