Windows 10: How to compare two folders please?

Discus and support How to compare two folders please? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a utility please (not command line) that would enable me to compare the contents of two folders, and report any differences please? 143324 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mjbj403, Oct 27, 2019.

1. mjbj403 Win User

How to compare two folders please?

Is there a utility please (not command line) that would enable me to compare the contents of two folders, and report any differences please?

:)

mjbj403, Oct 27, 2019

2. How can I compare 2 file folders in Explorer to see if they are identical with information?

I am trying to compare 2 file folders on my laptop and USB drive. I want to open them at the same time and do some sort of file compare to make sure they are identical. Can anyone suggest the steps to do this? Thank you!

MaryDeMoss, Oct 27, 2019
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Directory / Folder compare program

Hi there

Has anybody got a link to either a Windows or Linux Directory / Folder compare program ?

I just want a SIMPLE program that simply lists Files in A that don't exist in B and Files in B that don't exist in A. No Syncing etc etc required.

I don't want contents of files compared or any of the other stuff these sorts of programs seem to have -- just a Bog standard NAME comparison -- don't care about dates / file sizes etc etc --just a simple list of Files in A that aren't in B and files in B that aren't in A. Just a NAME compare -- nothing else.

Should be simple but all the one's I've looked for want to compare File contents too --if say you are running through a whole list of music mp3's or DVD iso's this will take a long time !!!! as a file contents compare would then have to read sector by sector !!!!.

A CLI would do if there isn't a GUI around.

Edit -- Found the answer --really neat one is kdiff3 in Linux (you need the KDE desktop though) - extremely quick amd flexible -- was already installed on my sytem/

How to compare two folders please? [​IMG]

I think there used to be a built in windows program windiff but I think that's gone now,

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 27, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

1. How to compare two folders please? - Similar Threads - compare folders please

2. Comparing two files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Comparing two files: I'm trying to currently compare two documents with about 2,000 lines on both. I need the second document to have the exact same number of lines as the master one, with the same names. Placement doesn't matter, just as long as the lines sre the same and are in both documents,...
  3. Comparing two files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Comparing two files: I'm trying to currently compare two documents with about 2,000 lines on both. I need the second document to have the exact same number of lines as the master one, with the same names. Placement doesn't matter, just as long as the lines sre the same and are in both documents,...
  4. How do I compare folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I compare folders: I'm backing up data from 1st External HDD to a 2nd External HDD. How do I compare folders to ensure the files inside this folders are the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-compare-folders/4d79df67-e8fc-461d-a031-ffedd4c3ac3b
  5. How do I compare folders

How do I compare folders: I'm backing up data from 1st External HDD to a 2nd External HDD. How do I compare folders to ensure the files inside this folders are the same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-compare-folders/4d79df67-e8fc-461d-a031-ffedd4c3ac3b
  6. compare two folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    compare two folders: How to compair two folders in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compare-two-folders/b7f107f0-6ffd-4251-8a8b-ff6544839c11
  7. Compare Folders

Compare Folders: In windows 10 … Is there a way to compare two folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compare-folders/fb1363e9-788f-442a-873f-3b073c054206
  8. Compare two folders and replace files in destination folder?

Compare two folders and replace files in destination folder?: Hello, I'm reaching out here because I am currently dealing with corrupted files in a video game. I have isolated the files into their own folder and I'm hoping that I will be able to send the folder to a friend that has the correct files and have them replace those with the...
  9. How do I compare two folders and delete duplicate files?

How do I compare two folders and delete duplicate files?: A Google search shows a few programs and none of them I'd trust on general principle, you know, the flashy type websites which you know the program is probably full of ad ware or something nasty? Any reliable program that can take two folders and display them side by side and...
  10. How to compare two files.

How to compare two files.: What is the best way to do a byte by bye comparison of two large files - Windows 10 64 bit. There is an FC command but when run in the Power Shell I think it wants to do a 'Format Custom'! 37671