Windows 10: How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

Discus and support How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I work for a small business whose server runs Windows 10 Pro. This is because the boss didn't want to cough up the money for Windows Server and does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NateNate60, Mar 26, 2020.

1. How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

I work for a small business whose server runs Windows 10 Pro. This is because the boss didn't want to cough up the money for Windows Server and does not want anything to do with Linux. Oh well.

There are three VMs running on Oracle VirtualBox in the background continuously. Two are for remote employees to connect to because our software doesn't work through a VPN. One runs a cloud storage server and our accounting software and it's critical that this never goes offline. However, Windows has taken the liberty of restarting itself outside active hours to apply updates. I tried using the Pause Updates, and I chose to defer feature updates for a maximum of 1 year and security updates for a maximum of 30 days.

I'm not against editing the Registry or anything. The server itself contains no critical information. Everything is on the VMs, whose virtual hard disks are backed up every single day. The sole purpose of the host Windows OS is to run those three VMs.

Is there any way to defer updates indefinitely?

submitted by /u/NateNate60
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NateNate60, Mar 26, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Mar 26, 2020
  3. System restarts automatically?????HELP!!!!!

Turn off Windows Automatic Restarts so you can see what type of BSOD the system is popping.

eidairaman1, Mar 26, 2020
  4. How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

Automatic Restart

We appreciate your response. We suggest that you turn on the automatic restart using command prompt. However, you need to access the
    Startup settings. On some Windows 10 computer, pressing
    F11
    once a computer boots up will bring the System Recovery menu. We suggest that you check if it's the same on your computer. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Turn on your computer, then press F11 simultaneously.
    • If a blue screen with Choose an option shows up, click on
      Troubleshoot
    • Look for Advanced options, then click on Command Prompt.
    • On the command prompt, type this in "wmic RecoverOS set AutoReboot = True".
    • Once done, click the "X" at the top right of the screen.

Restart your computer and see if the issue persists.

We would appreciate it if you'd provide a screenshot of the command prompt.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

1. How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts? - Similar Threads - completely TURN OFF

2. How to turn off automatic update downloads?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to turn off automatic update downloads?: The Win10 automatic update downloads are starting to interfere with my usage. I'll be playing VR around 1700~1800 at night and Windows decides to peg my harddrive with update downloads, causing all sorts of WMR/SteamVR freezes and basically ruins my gaming. I have usage...
  3. PC randomly turns off completely and restarts.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC randomly turns off completely and restarts.: I've had this issue for the past month or longer. It's inconsistent as hell and ridiculously annoying. Basically at random points my pc will turn off completely and then restart for absolutely no reason whatsoever, even when loading into a game which is more common. Now I...
  4. How to COMPLETELY turn off User Account Control...?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to COMPLETELY turn off User Account Control...?: Hello, We have two users on one of our Win 10 systems. One account is a regular user, and the other is an Administrator. Right now, when I log onto the Admin account, User Account Control displays at the bottom of the slider (and that is what I want.) But when I log...
  5. WiFi turning off automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi turning off automatically: I'm using Windows 10 Pro. My laptop computer was working fine and then one day it wouldn't connect to the internet using WiFi (I got the little red stop sign with an X in it)? It says I'm not connected to the internet and that my WiFi is turned off. When I go to Network and...
  6. Wifi turning completely off.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi turning completely off.: I was wondering if anyone has found a fix for the wifi turning off. My wifi completely turns off and I have to go into device manager>network adapters and uninstall all of them then scan for new hardware. After that I have to completely shutdown the laptop not restart and...
  7. Tablet turns off completely

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tablet turns off completely: I only want to turn screen off. Can't find Setting that needs change. Advice requested please? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/tablet-turns-off-completely/ddcf7547-f775-4dda-9c0e-36e08a153c0f
  8. How to completely turn off Aero Peek

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to completely turn off Aero Peek: I have done everything I can to turn off Aero Peek. I'm referring to the thumbnail previews you see when you mouse over an open item on your bottom taskbar. For example, if I have Word open but am looking at my desktop, if I mouse over the "Microsoft Word" icon in the taskbar...
  9. how to turn off automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to turn off automatic updates?: I'm having a laptop with eMMC with only 32GB of storage.I had 18 GB of free space and last night I recived some updates which left me only 10 GB of free space.I want to turn off option of auto updating if there is any. I switched meter connection to ON.Is there anything...
  10. How to turn off Windows backup completely

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to turn off Windows backup completely: Have turned off file history backup via settings but Windows keeps taking a "snapshot"of my C: disc and putting it on my external HD. Is there something else that I have to turn off? 74006