Windows 10: How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

Discus and support How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I work for a small business whose server runs Windows 10 Pro. This is because the boss didn't want to cough up the money for Windows Server and does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NateNate60, Mar 26, 2020.

1. How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

I work for a small business whose server runs Windows 10 Pro. This is because the boss didn't want to cough up the money for Windows Server and does not want anything to do with Linux. Oh well.

There are three VMs running on Oracle VirtualBox in the background continuously. Two are for remote employees to connect to because our software doesn't work through a VPN. One runs a cloud storage server and our accounting software and it's critical that this never goes offline. However, Windows has taken the liberty of restarting itself outside active hours to apply updates. I tried using the Pause Updates, and I chose to defer feature updates for a maximum of 1 year and security updates for a maximum of 30 days.

I'm not against editing the Registry or anything. The server itself contains no critical information. Everything is on the VMs, whose virtual hard disks are backed up every single day. The sole purpose of the host Windows OS is to run those three VMs.

Is there any way to defer updates indefinitely?

submitted by /u/NateNate60
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NateNate60, Mar 26, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Mar 26, 2020
  3. System restarts automatically?????HELP!!!!!

Turn off Windows Automatic Restarts so you can see what type of BSOD the system is popping.

eidairaman1, Mar 26, 2020
  4. How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

Automatic Restart

We appreciate your response. We suggest that you turn on the automatic restart using command prompt. However, you need to access the
    Startup settings. On some Windows 10 computer, pressing
    F11
    once a computer boots up will bring the System Recovery menu. We suggest that you check if it's the same on your computer. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Turn on your computer, then press F11 simultaneously.
    • If a blue screen with Choose an option shows up, click on
      Troubleshoot
    • Look for Advanced options, then click on Command Prompt.
    • On the command prompt, type this in "wmic RecoverOS set AutoReboot = True".
    • Once done, click the "X" at the top right of the screen.

Restart your computer and see if the issue persists.

We would appreciate it if you'd provide a screenshot of the command prompt.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts?

1. How to completely TURN OFF automatic restarts? - Similar Threads - completely TURN OFF

2. Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically: My laptop is a Lenovo with 8GB RAM, a 1TB SSD, and an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U processor Windows 10 currently, previously I had 11. Restore to 10 as I thought maybe reinstalling a lower version could help solve the problem.The problem I'm facing is that whenever I'm working on my...
  3. Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically: My laptop is a Lenovo with 8GB RAM, a 1TB SSD, and an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U processor Windows 10 currently, previously I had 11. Restore to 10 as I thought maybe reinstalling a lower version could help solve the problem.The problem I'm facing is that whenever I'm working on my...
  4. Laptop instantly turns off and restarts automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to turn off this automatic submenu?

How to turn off this automatic submenu?: When just hovering through the context menu these submenu appears without any mouse click. I want to open these submenu only when i click them. this is very annoying to me?How can i turn this off?...
  6. PC turning off completely even after restart?

PC turning off completely even after restart?: Hi, so i whenever i restart my PC it needs disk checking and i found out in task manager that the CPU runs for 1 second basically it starts fresh, normally the PC doesnt shut down completely right?And also it takes like 10-20 seconds till the blue screen with "Restarting"...
  7. PC turning off completely even after restart?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC turning off completely even after restart?: Hi, so i whenever i restart my PC is needs disk checking and i found out in task manager that the CPU runs for 1 second, normally the PC doesnt shut down completely right?And also it takes like 10-20 seconds till the blue screen with "Restarting" disappears and the PC turns...
  8. PC turning off completely even after restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC turning off completely even after restart?: Hi, so i whenever i restart my PC is needs disk checking and i found out in task manager that the CPU runs for 1 second, normally the PC doesnt shut down completely right?And also it takes like 10-20 seconds till the blue screen with "Restarting" disappears and the PC turns...
  9. PC randomly turns off completely and restarts.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC randomly turns off completely and restarts.: I've had this issue for the past month or longer. It's inconsistent as hell and ridiculously annoying. Basically at random points my pc will turn off completely and then restart for absolutely no reason whatsoever, even when loading into a game which is more common. Now I...
  10. how to turn off automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to turn off automatic updates?: I'm having a laptop with eMMC with only 32GB of storage.I had 18 GB of free space and last night I recived some updates which left me only 10 GB of free space.I want to turn off option of auto updating if there is any. I switched meter connection to ON.Is there anything...