Windows 10: How to compress PDF file size?

Discus and support How to compress PDF file size? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have generated pdf's using rdlc and then combine multiple pdf files to single document using itextsharp pdfsmartcopy class. But my pdf size is large,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by diliptiwari, Apr 8, 2019.

1. How to compress PDF file size?

I have generated pdf's using rdlc and then combine multiple pdf files to single document using itextsharp pdfsmartcopy class. But my pdf size is large, i want to reduce the size of pdf. I have tried compression using itextsharp but that's unable to compress. When i upload the pdf to ilivepdf.com online for compression then it compress 21MB file to 1MB.

***Modified title from: PDF resize generated using rdlc and itextsharp***

:)

diliptiwari, Apr 8, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Compress PDF files

File Explorer will still show the original size of the file. To see how much it has shrunk, right-click on it and select 'Properties'. This shows two sizes, the important one is the 'Size on disk' which should now be smaller that the file size. How much smaller depends on how easy it is to compress that pdf, some will compress more than others.

Bree, Apr 8, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Compress PDF files

Do you want to compress without loosing any quality, or would you accept a lower quality and/or resolution?

Images in pdfs can be saved in a lossless form or use jpeg compression, for jpegs the level of compression can be increased at the cost of some loss of quality. The image resolution could also be reduced to save space. Any compression software would likely use these techniques to reduce the size of the file. Whether you notice the difference would depend on how heavily the compression was applied.

For compression that leaves the original file untouched there are two options in Windows itself - ntfs file compression or 'send to a compressed (zipped) folder'. If you have Libre Office or similar you already have software that can open a pdf for editing and export it in a lower quality form.

As an experiment I downloaded an illustrated manual in pdf form. The original file size was 17.2MB.

ntfs compression:
    Right-click on file, select properties, click the 'Advanced...' button and tick 'compress contents to save disk space'.
    After compression File Explorer still shows the original file size, but its Properties shows 'size on disk: 16.4MB'. The data in the file is unaltered and the file can be opened as normal.

Send to zipped folder:
    The zip folder produced was 14.7MB. Windows can open a zipped folder like any other folder so you can still easily read the pdf in its original form.

Reduced resolution and increased compression with Libre Office:
    Opened in Libre Office Writer and exported to pdf, image resolution reduced from 300dpi to 150dpi, jpeg compression quality lowered to 33%. The exported pdf was 5.32MB. The loss of image quality was unnoticeable but some formatting changes were introduced, particularly in the alignment of the table of chapters. Such problems may be found in other pdf compression software, so beware.

Bree, Apr 8, 2019
  4. How to compress PDF file size?

PDF file size

When I make PDFs using my Canon MG6150 PIXMA and Acrobat XI, the resultant files are huge e.g. 15Mb. How can I set the file size or compress the file size so I can transmit the PDFs without incurring problems with email servers?

Thanks

TheresaHackett, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

How to compress PDF file size?

1. How to compress PDF file size? - Similar Threads - compress PDF file

2. How to remove file size appearing in file name when uploading a pdf?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove file size appearing in file name when uploading a pdf?: I'm attempting to upload a file to a website no brackets permitted. My saved file name doesn't contain any brackets but the upload failed. The rejection of the uploaded file showed the file name as including the file size in brackets after .pdf. Please can anyone assist as to...
  3. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  4. File Compression . . .

File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  5. Preview pane sizing issue for pdf files

Preview pane sizing issue for pdf files: Hello, I have been using my hp laptop with a Dell extension monitor for over a year. Lately, I have updated my hp to Windows 10 and have an issue with the preview pane in file explorer since after. The preview pane looks normal on my hp laptop, but when I drag the file...
  6. How to compress a bunch of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to compress a bunch of files: I downloaded the new updated Postal stp with 2 spin off games that run on the Postal 2 game platform. The new Postal 2 and it's spin off games take up 7.0gb of space uncompressed. Is there a way to compress all of the files down to fit on one 4.7gb dvd without using PKzip? I...
  7. problem of compressed disk size symbol

in Windows 10 Customization
    problem of compressed disk size symbol: how to solve problem of a pc i.e desktop folders are appearing with two arrows and also appearing for newly created folders and files. plese provide permant soluton...
  8. PDF file size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PDF file size: When I make PDFs using my Canon MG6150 PIXMA and Acrobat XI, the resultant files are huge e.g. 15Mb. How can I set the file size or compress the file size so I can transmit the PDFs without incurring problems with email servers? Thanks...
  9. Printing size of a pdf

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printing size of a pdf: I am wishing to enlarge the image size of a pdf when printing. I want the margins/borders to be smaller (or nonexistent) when printed. I have done this on computers before, but this Surface laptop and latest version of Windows are new to me and I'm not seeing the option to...
  10. Compress PDF files

in Windows 10 Support
    Compress PDF files: Hello, Have lot of pdf files on my disk, I have read about software to compress these files. 1. Is there some program (free if possible) to do it ? 2. Is the compression effective (in percent), so to start installing the program ? 3. After compression, are the files still...