Windows 10: how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive

Discus and support how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want to try a lot of tutorials as given here windows tutorials tutorial index So I need to prepare a lot of live USB sticks or USB sticks in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by datatraveler2012, Dec 25, 2019.

1. how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive

I want to try a lot of tutorials as given here windows tutorials tutorial index
    So I need to prepare a lot of live USB sticks or USB sticks in the formats in which tutorials mention. Most of these tutorials that I want to try are windows installation media creation, creating recovery disks creating custom partitions etc. I want to try them first on virtual machines then want to try the steps on real hardware.
    I read a tutorial here for usb booting in VMware.
    Here is how my virtual machine settings look like.
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive d796dfc6-2648-4b26-965a-6c6f3aa63cd1?upload=true.jpg

I power on the firmware and see the boot options
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive a70a03d4-622e-4bf7-9e29-d25a0ccc3584?upload=true.jpg
    configure boot options
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive b8a3764d-01f2-4c53-9da5-c4b582d58b47?upload=true.jpg
    add boot options
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive b556cedc-9d41-4e54-8a63-f7068337eb88?upload=true.jpg
    No USB boot option

how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive 8302201d-7890-4630-9e5e-93b4f8f04fb4?upload=true.jpg

how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive d22da0bb-a308-4502-9397-c6c51fb2c406?upload=true.jpg

So the question is how do I configure vmware workstation 15 so that I can boot using USB sticks.
    I tried using plop boot ISO also
    I downloaded from this page
    https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html

I downloaded package
    https://download.plop.at/files/bootmngr/plpbt-5.0.15.zip
    tried putting it as an ISO to boot
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive 69d9f0ab-1d91-4cae-9e8a-5fc02b20b424?upload=true.jpg
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive 81adbca4-8b87-4b12-9199-fbf5dfa1e09f?upload=true.jpg
    how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive 619ddd7b-ce49-4f82-ad42-101fe3509f2b?upload=true.jpg
    I selected the plpt iso which is probably plop boot manager ISO

how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive c5f09f47-8227-44a5-8a37-046dc66214bd?upload=true.jpg

There was no effect of using plpt boot ISO. What next can I try?

I am using Vmware Workstation 15 Pro 15.1.0 build-13591040.

:)

datatraveler2012, Dec 25, 2019
  2. S_and_S Win User

Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Virtual Machine Running Issue

Hi Guys...

I am using VM Ware Workstation Pro 15, I want to run virtual machine on it. It displays an error is (VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard.)

ShyamPatel21, Dec 25, 2019
  4. how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive

VMWare is not letting me run Virtual Machines due to "VMWare and Device/Credential guard are not compatible" error message.

Hello.

Recently after an update from Microsoft, I went onto my computer to run a Virtual Machine on VMWare workstation Pro 15. But when I went to run it, it read this message.:

"VMWare Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMWare Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard. Please visit VMware Knowledge Base for more details."

I haven't been able to run a Virtual Machine ever since and it is starting to annoy me, since all the other online solution's don't work.

Can somebody help??

Finlay Collins, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive

1. how to configue vmware workstation 15 to boot a virtual machine from a bootable usb drive - Similar Threads - configue vmware workstation

2. Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.: HiI installed Window 10 Pro with my license key in a VMWare Workstation machine.There was some issue with the Workstation so I ended deleting my the virtual machine, however, when I installed new Virtual machine Virtual box this time and tried to use the same license, it says...
  3. Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.: HiI installed Window 10 Pro with my license key in a VMWare Workstation machine.There was some issue with the Workstation so I ended deleting my the virtual machine, however, when I installed new Virtual machine Virtual box this time and tried to use the same license, it says...
  4. How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?

How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?: Because I don't have windows activation key of my main physical system as it is digitally licenced. I'm using windows 10 home and 21H1 version on my main pc. And i'm testing windows 11 developer preview version on vmware on same system. But windows 11 is not activating even...
  5. How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to...

How to transfer Win10 digital license from one VMWare Workstation 14 Virtual Machine to...: In May 6th, I bought a Win10 digital license from Microsoft Store for a virtual machine created in VMWare Workstation14. The virtual machine is Win 10 system and is activated by the license using with my Microsoft Account. Now I have to run the virtual machine in a different...
  6. Can't open VMware Workstation Pro 15

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open VMware Workstation Pro 15: Hi there, I downloaded VMware workstation pro a few days ago & I am not able to open it. When I try to, windows basically tells me that VMware Workstation Pro couldn't be run under windows and that I should look for updates. After a bit of research if found out that this...
  7. Unable to install the virtual network adapter in VMWare workstation 15 and Virtual box 6 -...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to install the virtual network adapter in VMWare workstation 15 and Virtual box 6 -...: Hello Experts, I am unable to install virtual Ethernet adapter (host only and bridge) on both VM Ware workstation pro 15 and Virtual box 6. I have reinstalled both software multiple times and issue still exists. Both VMNet1 and VMNet8 are not showing in the adapter...
  8. VMware Workstation 15 hangs and vmware-vmx is unkillable.

in Windows 10 Customization
    VMware Workstation 15 hangs and vmware-vmx is unkillable.: I have installed VMware Workstation 15.0.2 on a Windows 10 Enterprise 18348.19h1 host and am encountering a weird issue. When I start a VM, it doesn't boot but gets stuck on a black window. If I try to force reset it or anything like that, the UI for power controls is...
  9. VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VMware Workstation Re: Just How Contained is a Virtual Machine: I guess I should know this but I don't. If I create a VM with say win version 1703 or 1709 or even DL the "latest and greatest" 1803 and let the updates fly will anything installed to that VM be written to the BIOS "outside" of the VM? Didn't either the Spectre or Meltdown...
  10. Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.: I decided (more out of academic interest than need) that I would setup windows 10586 in a vm on VMWARE, and also Insider version. Problem was I could not find anyway of doing this. You could install first version, but how to install second version, as you automatically...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot