Windows 10: How to configure 5.1 and pcm stereo at the same time according sound sources?

Discus and support How to configure 5.1 and pcm stereo at the same time according sound sources? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello all, actually I face the problem, that Windows 10 is "translating" stereo output browser video like p.e. Youtube into 5.1 Dolby. This leads to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by qd75, Feb 20, 2020.

1. qd75 Win User

How to configure 5.1 and pcm stereo at the same time according sound sources?

Hello all,

actually I face the problem, that Windows 10 is "translating" stereo output browser video like p.e. Youtube into 5.1 Dolby.

This leads to the effect, that the left and right front channels are mapped by the left and right stereo signal, but the subwoofer " .1" is "empty" and I get no bass at all.

Basically, if the receiver receives stereo, everything is fine:

The receiver is configured to convert stereo in the way, that the bass <80Hz is send to the subwoofer and everything else is send to the front and rear speakers.

If the receiver receives 5.1, everything is also fine:

It send all channels accordingly to the related speakers.

The problem:

The receiver now get's a 5.1 coded signal and does map the channels accordingly.

The frontspeakers are defined as small, what means, that the receiver is low pass filtering them no bass.

The receiver does not have a reason to bypass bass from the front speakers to the subwoofer, as the receiver get's a full 5.1 signal and asumes, that the bass is already on ".1".

But Windows didn't low pass filter the bass to the ".1"!

So I never have bass while playing stereo from a browser/website!

Is there a way to tell windows to bypass the sound as it is creatd by the programs?

Means, if the source is stereo, then stereo and not 5.1 is send to the receiver and

if it is 5.1, 5.1 is send to the receiver?

Best regards

QD

:)

2. How to select PCM stereo output for digital audio S/PDIF jack?

I am looking to upgrade the sound from my PC. I wish to bypass the sound card of my computer by plugging in a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) in a USB 2.0 port. I've learned I can stream digital audio that way by selecting my DAC as the default audio output
    device. However, the DAC I am considering also can stream data from the digital optical output on my PC to the DAC. A tech rep for the DAC told me to stream music from both the optical output
    and the USB port alternatively and see which sounds better. However, for the DAC to utilize the digital optical jack it must be set to pulse-code modulation (PCM) stereo output.

Hence my problem. I see no menu option for selecting PCM stereo output as opposed to DTS or Dolby multi-channel audio in my sound controls for the optical output (in the "Supported Formats" section of the "Digital Audio S/PDIF Properties" menu. (Microsoft
    WMA Pro Audio is also offered in that menu, but I don't know what that is or if it changes the digital optical audio output to PCM format.) I would like to utilize the digital optical output from my PC as the DAC rep suggested if at all possible. Please advise.

Deekthe(non)Geek, Feb 20, 2020
  3. How to select PCM stereo output for digital audio S/PDIF jack?

Hi,

The settings for your audio could be managed in a few ways, like through the Control Panel's default program or the program installed along the sound card drivers. That being said, since what you are using is not the default audio output, we suggest that
    you update the sound card driver by checking the manufacturer's website. In the event that what you have already installed is the latest driver for your sound card, we suggest contacting the manufacturer of your sound card to provide you necessary steps on
    how to change your audio into PCM.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Darleen Pen, Feb 20, 2020
  4. Wannes Win User

Adding new alarm sounds (not ringtones) for Mobile 5 PPC

Hi

After some testing (Windows Mobile 6 - HTC Touch) I found the following 'system requirements' for a WAV-file you want to set as custom alarm (by putting in the Windows folder):

1. WAV-format (of course)

2. Created with filter PCM, any Hz and/or bit rate, mono or stereo (filter MPEG-layer 3 didn't work)

3. There seems te be no limit in length of time of the sound

4. Filesize limit of approximately 5 mb.

Hope this helps others as it did for me.

Wannes, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

1. How to configure 5.1 and pcm stereo at the same time according sound sources? - Similar Threads - configure pcm stereo

2. Surround sound configure only has stereo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surround sound configure only has stereo: im trying too set up surround sound, my 3 jacks are hooked up to a aux splitter and put into mu green port. when i try and configure my speakers only setero comes up and not 5.1. not sure how to fix this....
  3. Surround sound configure only has stereo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surround sound configure only has stereo: im trying too set up surround sound, my 3 jacks are hooked up to a aux splitter and put into mu green port. when i try and configure my speakers only setero comes up and not 5.1. not sure how to fix this....
  4. Auto sound configuration change from stereo to 7.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto sound configuration change from stereo to 7.1: Hello,So I have my PC plugged in to Denon AVR setup to surround sound however have configuarion of 3.1. Whenever I play some games my windows sound configuration change from STEREO to 7.1. I then need to minimize the game and change it to stereo again. I think the question...
  5. Auto sound configuration change from stereo to 7.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto sound configuration change from stereo to 7.1: Hello,So I have my PC plugged in to Denon AVR setup to surround sound however have configuarion of 3.1. Whenever I play some games my windows sound configuration change from STEREO to 7.1. I then need to minimize the game and change it to stereo again. I think the question...
  6. Auto sound configuration change from stereo to 7.1

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Enable the system stereo sound as the source for recording

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Enable the system stereo sound as the source for recording: How do I enable the system stereo sound as the source for recording. when you wan to record the computer audio, I want to be able to select not only the external mic or the internal mic, but also be able to select the system stereo. example when you do facebook live, you...
  8. Sound Source

Sound Source: Hello! I have an HP Envy TS 17 Notebook. I've recently started using a USB headset, and had to change the primary device for sound to get them to work. So now, of course, the computer speakers don't work unless I go to settings and change preferred device. What a pain to...
  9. Speakers configuration keeps reverting to stereo

in Windows 10 Customization
    Speakers configuration keeps reverting to stereo: Hi there, I have encountered a problem with Windows 10 Version 1809. When I click on "Configure" on Windows Sound, the speakers configuration will revert to stereo even after I have selected 5.1 speakers or 7.1 speakers. The issue also causes the sample rate to revert...
  10. stereo mixer sound

stereo mixer sound: since last windows update i cant play sound in chat rooms. i had no problem before update, i update sound driver and ran troubleshooting sound, still nothing i do have sound, play music but once enable stereo mixer , its horrible, i rolled back driver etc done everything...