Windows 10: How to configure a proxy limited to Windows Update services ?

Discus and support How to configure a proxy limited to Windows Update services ? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,I am using Azure Arc to manage my On-Premises machines directly in Azure with the help of Azure Update Manager.For security reasons, I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JulienSénéchal, Jun 21, 2024.

1. How to configure a proxy limited to Windows Update services ?

Hello,I am using Azure Arc to manage my On-Premises machines directly in Azure with the help of Azure Update Manager.For security reasons, I need to restrict my machines' access to the Internet. Therefore, I have implemented a Proxy through which all my Azure Arc agents pass to facilitate access management through the firewall. This way, we can limit management and security errors.My issue now is that when I want to perform an update assessment on the machines, the requests do not seem to go through the proxy as I expected but are blocked by the firewall.I need to "route" the Windows Update se

:)

JulienSénéchal, Jun 21, 2024
  2. psyko12 Win User

Win 7 services over proxy?

Hello guys, well my internet is a mess, I'm using a proxy just to browse faster..., Is there a way to tunnel windows services to utilize this proxy?

So far have discovered how to use it on windows update via winhttpautoproxysvc, but I don't know how to configure windows time service to tunnel thru it...

Hope somebody can help me... Thanks in advance

Also program I used to tunnel fire fox is Proxifier.

psyko12, Jun 21, 2024
  3. windows update on a proxy server

Hi Tanmay,

I would suggest you to run the Windows update troubleshooter and check.

1) In the search tab type 'Troubleshooter' and hit enter.

2) Click on view all.

3) Click on Windows update and follow the onscreen instructions

Please follow the steps below and check if the issue can be fixed.

1. Press Windows Key + R combination and put
    inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter to open Internet Properties.

2. In the Internet Properties, switch to Connections tab, here click the
    LAN Settings.

Moving on, in the Proxy server section, click on Advanced.

Now in the Proxy Settings window, for the Exceptions section, input the following entries using comma:

• login.live.com
    • account.live.com
    • clientconfig.passport.net
    • wustat.windows.com
    • *.windowsupdate.com
    • *.wns.windows.com
    • *.hotmail.com
    • *.outlook.com
    • *.microsoft.com
    • *.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt
    Click OK. Close the Internet Properties settings window.

Now, run Netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie command in the
    administrative Command Prompt
    to export the settings you’ve configured, to work for
    Windows Update as well.

Reboot the machine when you’re done to make changes effective.

Let us know if you have any issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Jun 21, 2024
  4. AsRock Win User

How to configure a proxy limited to Windows Update services ?

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 21, 2024
Thema:

How to configure a proxy limited to Windows Update services ?

1. How to configure a proxy limited to Windows Update services ? - Similar Threads - configure proxy limited

2. How to configure a proxy limited to Windows Update services ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to configure a proxy limited to Windows Update services ?: Hello,I am using Azure Arc to manage my On-Premises machines directly in Azure with the help of Azure Update Manager.For security reasons, I need to restrict my machines' access to the Internet. Therefore, I have implemented a Proxy through which all my Azure Arc agents pass...
  3. Configure reverse proxy for windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Configure reverse proxy for windows update: Hello,We have the following scenario : We have multiple windows servers in our infrastructure which needs to get updates from Microsoft but they don't have internet connectionWe have deployed a reverse proxynginx and in it's config we have defined a path "wsus.local" which we...
  4. Configure reverse proxy for windows update

Configure reverse proxy for windows update: Hello,We have the following scenario : We have multiple windows servers in our infrastructure which needs to get updates from Microsoft but they don't have internet connectionWe have deployed a reverse proxynginx and in it's config we have defined a path "wsus.local" which we...
  5. limited service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    limited service: with windows 8.1 operating system I am unable to connect to internet wirelessly says limited but can connect via cable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/limited-service/e88d3394-4488-43c0-a10b-4a7904575f9b
  6. limited service

limited service: with windows 8.1 operating system I am unable to connect to internet wirelessly says limited but can connect via cable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/limited-service/e88d3394-4488-43c0-a10b-4a7904575f9b
  7. Nsi Proxy Service Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nsi Proxy Service Driver: So I’ve been on a wild goose chase all day trying to find the dependencies for WLANautoconfig and have finally managed to do so. One of these is Network Store interface service properties. It’s dependencies are RPC and then the an SI proxy service driver. RPC is running so I...
  8. Audio Services, Windows Updates & Network Configuration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Audio Services, Windows Updates & Network Configuration: So I'm having a couple of problems with my PC and Windows at the minute. One problem has linked to another. It all started a while back when my audio services Windows Audio stopped working. The audio service was not starting up and wouldn't start up when I attempted to...
  9. Cannot configure proxy settings

Cannot configure proxy settings: Hello, I can't make changes to the proxy settings. I've searched for the problem and haven't come across any solutions. Here is the problem I'm facing: 1. Automatic proxy setup window, no changes. [ATTACH] 2. Turn on Use Setup Script and paste the proxy address,...
  10. Configure proxy settings

Configure proxy settings: When I connect to the internet through a proxy server, it asks me to enter a username and a password. I can configure proxy in the web browser and navigate without any problems, but I’d like to know if I can configure the proxy setting in windows to connect all the...