Windows 10: How to configure USB drives auto-play per each specific drive?

Discus and support How to configure USB drives auto-play per each specific drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have configured Windows 10 to open up my USB thumb drive in Windows Explorer automatically when it's plugged in. This is very convenient. What is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ahmd, Oct 3, 2018.

1. ahmd Win User

How to configure USB drives auto-play per each specific drive?

I have configured Windows 10 to open up my USB thumb drive in Windows Explorer automatically when it's plugged in. This is very convenient.

What is not convenient is when it does the same with my 3 external USB hard drives when I reboot the system. These drives are plugged into my desktop and are used for backups and shouldn't be opening up automatically when I reboot.

So question -- can I configure auto-play per drive letter/device?

:)

ahmd, Oct 3, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 3, 2018
  3. How to stop Auto Play discovery Pop Up Window for a Western Digital USB 3 My Book Hard Drive constantly happening in Game!

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response. I understand your concern, we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I would suggest that you perform the steps mentioned below and check if the AutoPlay message stops displaying.

Disabling Auto Play

• On the search bar, type “Control Panel” then locate and click on
      “Auto Play”.
    • Once the auto play window opens, you will see "Removable Devices" drop down option. Click on it and choose
      "Take No Action"
    • Then click on Save.
    Now, insert the USB drive again and check if you receive that same pop-up again.

Hope this information was helpful. Please let us know the status of your issue so that we can assist you further.

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 3, 2018
  4. How to configure USB drives auto-play per each specific drive?

Silicon Power Introduces the Armor A85/A85M Portable Hard Drive

the next step for these kinds of drives is to have them auto connect to wireless routers and configure to be used like a normal HDD.

DeathtoGnomes, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

How to configure USB drives auto-play per each specific drive?

1. How to configure USB drives auto-play per each specific drive? - Similar Threads - configure USB drives

2. USB drive configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drive configuration: Hi!Each time I slot in a USB drive in my PC"s port, a notification pops up with two or three named drives.I have to go to This PC to identify my USB drive.Can you help me with USB drive configuration settings?Thanks!* Moved from Mobile Devices...
  3. USB drive configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB drive configuration: Hi!Each time I slot in a USB drive in my PC"s port, a notification pops up with two or three named drives.I have to go to This PC to identify my USB drive.Can you help me with USB drive configuration settings?Thanks!* Moved from Mobile Devices...
  4. USB drive configuration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to turn off autoplay for a specific usb drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to turn off autoplay for a specific usb drive: Hi, I'm looking for a way to stop the explorer show-up for a specific USB disk drive. Default settings and behaviour is expected for the others. NB: I know the device name \\?\USB#VID_0781&PID_5406#00001675C67182B6#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951e Any help is...
  6. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  7. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  8. Can't get USB flash drive to open on Auto Play

Can't get USB flash drive to open on Auto Play: Can't get USB flash drive to open on Auto Play https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-usb-flash-drive-to-open-on-auto-play/9043586d-c3be-47b4-9f83-dbf887f60890
  9. How to configure USB drives auto-play per each specific drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to configure USB drives auto-play per each specific drive?: I have configured Windows 10 to open up my USB thumb drive in Windows Explorer automatically when it's plugged in. This is very convenient. What is not convenient is when it does the same with my 3 external USB hard drives when I reboot the system. These drives are plugged...
  10. Optical drive auto play glitch

Optical drive auto play glitch: I have a strange issue in that my optical disks do not auto play unless I open 'this pc' / explorer which seems to kickstart them into life! Even being in explorer doesn't work upon inserting a cd or DVD - I have to close the window and re-open it to trigger auto play. I can...