Windows 10: How to connect a qemu / kvm mac os x guest os to internet inside WSL2

Discus and support How to connect a qemu / kvm mac os x guest os to internet inside WSL2 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I've installed ubuntu 20.04 on WSL2 and I started a VM with qemu and kvm,running mac os x as guest os. It works great,except for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ziomario, May 6, 2020.

1. ziomario Win User

How to connect a qemu / kvm mac os x guest os to internet inside WSL2

Hello.

I've installed ubuntu 20.04 on WSL2 and I started a VM with qemu and kvm,running mac os x as guest os. It works great,except for the configuration of the net. Infact it is not able to connect to internet. Sometime from WSL I get a 192.x.x.x ip number,like :

192.168.69.65 ; 192.168.71.185 ; 192.168.73.223 ; 192.168.69.33 ; 192.168.100.101

sometime I get a 172.x.x.x ip address,like : 172.22.250.54 ; 172.22.253.128 ; 172.21.138.120 ; 172.22.88.142.

The vEthernet (WSL) adapter on Windows 10 is configued like this : 172.26.80.1 as IP address,subnet mask = 255.255.240.0

I have created a bridge in WIndows 10,between my Intel ethernet adapter and the tap0 / Tap-windows. It's IP is 192.168.1.6 ; subnet mask = 255.255.255.0 ; gateway = 192.169.1.1 ; dns primary = 8.8.8.8

I have configured WSL like it is explained,but it didn't work. Check below what happens :

Code:
    I think IPv4 issue can be solved with configuring DHCP, but I don't know how to do that. I dont know why after removing address from eth0, which had an ipv4 address, and creating a bridge,it becomes no ipv4.

:)

ziomario, May 6, 2020

2. qemu-kvm

virt-manager is the gui that can be used to do exactly this.

from the open source project:QEMU is a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer.

When used as a machine emulator, QEMU can run OSes and programs made for one machine (e.g. an ARM board) on a different machine (e.g. your own PC). By using dynamic translation, it achieves very good performance.

When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performances by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU. QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, and S390 guests.

Easy Rhino, May 6, 2020
  3. Aquinus Win User
    qemu-kvm

It will not run under Windows as KVM is a kernel-level virtualization built for the Linux kernel.

It allows remote management (through KVM) using VNC (password optional, but I do recommend one.)

You don't need X installed on the server. You can install X Server on a windows machine, open an X tunnel using SSH, and open virt-manager and it will be displayed on your Windows box. I work with KVM in a business environment and it is a very nice platform (we have something like 8 QEMU/KVM virtual machines in production running on a dual-quad core xeon server with hyperthreading and 24gb of memory). Virt-manager makes it very easy to manage QEMU/KVM but the CLI tools gives you much more control.

I thought it could only run under the architecture it was compiled for.

Aquinus, May 6, 2020
  4. malware Win User

Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update Released

Apple has released the latest update from Mac OS X 10.4.5 to version 10.4.6 on both Intel-based Macs and PowerPC-based Macs. There are two ways to update to Mac OS X 10.4.6: Use Software Update or the standalone installer. This update offers many improvements, including:
    • 802.1X login authentication configurations created in Internet Connect can now be used at the Mac OS X login window, too.
    • You can now copy folders with files to an SMB-based server instead of only the folder being copied and this alert message appearing: "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."
    • Improves iDisk (WebDAV file system) performance.
    • Resolves an issue in which Mail could unexpectedly quit when lowering the quote level within a reply message.
    • Resolves an issue that could cause Help Viewer to sometimes display a blank window.
    • Includes iSync 2.2 which provides support for additional mobile phones.
    Go to this page, for full issues list and additional information about the instalation.

Source: Apple

malware, May 6, 2020
Thema:

1. How to connect a qemu / kvm mac os x guest os to internet inside WSL2 - Similar Threads - connect qemu kvm

2. MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2: I'm virtualizing a FreeBsd 13.0-2 machine on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS GNU/Linux 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 x86_64 under WSL2 the base operating system is Win 11. I use virt-manager and everything runs fine until I try to upload a Window Manager, the mouse doesn't work in any...
  3. MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2: I'm virtualizing a FreeBsd 13.0-2 machine on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS GNU/Linux 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 x86_64 under WSL2 the base operating system is Win 11. I use virt-manager and everything runs fine until I try to upload a Window Manager, the mouse doesn't work in any...
  4. MSN on Mac OS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MSN on Mac OS: How do I upgrade my Microsoft Messenger on Mac OS? The message on my screen is telling me to contact the developer for help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/msn-on-mac-os/4efe12a9-59dd-4b2b-b13d-54e21393aacf
  5. How to install Zorin OS through WSL2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install Zorin OS through WSL2?: I'm using Windows 10 Home ver 1909 with Windows Insider Program and WSL 2 enabled. Currently I'm running the latest Unubtu from the Microsoft store through WSL2. I'd like to get Zorin OS with a graphical desktop environment installed but it's not in the Microsoft store. I did...
  6. How to install Zorin OS through WSL2?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to install Zorin OS through WSL2?: I'm using Windows 10 Home ver 1909 with Windows Insider Program and WSL 2 enabled. Currently I'm running the latest Unubtu from the Microsoft store through WSL2. I'd like to get Zorin OS with a graphical desktop environment installed but it's not in the Microsoft store. I did...
  7. Windows on Mac without Mac OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows on Mac without Mac OS: Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please recommend where if not! I recently messed up when resetting my MacBook Pro mid-2012 to factory settings and now only have internet recovery as an option, which does not work. So for the time being I installed Windows...
  8. WINDOWS TO MAC OS X

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WINDOWS TO MAC OS X: How do I convert my desktop PC with Windows 10 to Mac os x? I am a Producer and Sound Engineer, so I work with music quite frequently. I prefer working on my projects and day to day work on OS X....
  9. How to customize Windows OS like Mac OS X?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to customize Windows OS like Mac OS X?: Hello I'm a Mac user who's moved to PC after decades of Mac use. I do 3D computer graphics. I still do office communication & office work on a Mac laptop and share files via Dropbox. I'd like to customize my PC with various add-ons, but I'm afraid to this without a better...
  10. Install Mac OS X

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Install Mac OS X: Hello everyone I would like to install Mac OS X in hyper-v (or any VM ) inside Windows 10 Any way to do that? If there is please show me how to do that. 93920