Windows 10: How to connect Microsoft Account without changing local account login

Discus and support How to connect Microsoft Account without changing local account login in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Short version: How can I connect my Microsoft account to my windows account without it forcing significant account-wide changes, the most abhorrent of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Mervil, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Mervil Win User

How to connect Microsoft Account without changing local account login

Short version:
    How can I connect my Microsoft account to my windows account without it forcing significant account-wide changes, the most abhorrent of which is forcing a password or pin log-in?

Long version:
    I hate the way that adding a Microsoft account hijacks my local account, forcing me to log-in with a password on my home PC that nobody else uses. I have this OCD thing about my computer where I have to be the one in charge of everything, not the OS or software. So, I've never linked a Microsoft account; I feel like it takes way too much control away from me. Even after unlinking the Microsoft account, or unchecking the box in netplwiz that allows me to bypass the password sign-in, I still feel like my account is changed forever, "tainted" in a way, and it doesn't go back to the way I would prefer it.
    Interestingly, I re-installed windows 10's most recent build (version 2004) on my laptop today, and installed the newest Chromium-based Edge. I was exploring options of backing up and restoring my Edge favorites, and I noted the Microsoft account sync option. On my laptop, I begrudgingly went ahead and did this: connecting Edge to my Microsoft account in order to sync favorites and browser settings etc. I didn't add the account intentionally anywhere else (ie: via Account settings etc).
    It seems now that my laptop windows account, not just Edge, is now connected to my Microsoft account, but it is not requiring me to login at the login screen! This is what I want! In Windows' Account settings --> Sign-in Options, when I click "Password", it even tells me there is no password associated with my account. Perfect! Things are still the same, the way I want them. When I open up netplwiz, the checkbox that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." is not even there. I really like this. I feel like my account has not been hijacked or altered against my wishes at this point.
    My question is this: Is there a way to do this--linking my Microsoft account to my local windows account--without the Microsoft account hijacking everything, from the get-go? Or did I simply discover an odd "workaround" that might get "patched" in the future?

:)

Mervil, Jun 12, 2020

2. Windows 8 with 2 Microsoft accounts?

Yea, I would create a local account and just use your school account to login to Outlook and Onedrive.

Edit:

Here switch between local and microsoft account.

Mindweaver, Jun 12, 2020
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jun 12, 2020
  4. How to connect Microsoft Account without changing local account login

how to change local account to Microsoft account

Hi Linda,

To change your login settings from local account to Microsoft account, please follow the steps below:

• Click on Start menu and select Accounts.
    • Select Your email and accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Type the details for your Microsoft Account.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

How to connect Microsoft Account without changing local account login

1. How to connect Microsoft Account without changing local account login - Similar Threads - connect Microsoft Account

2. How can I change or remove the microsoft account without the "Sign in with a local account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change or remove the microsoft account without the "Sign in with a local account...: I cannot change or remove the signed in microsoft account on my device. When I search for my issue I find in many vidoes or articles an option I do not have which is the "Sign in with a local account instead" option. Instead it asks me to verify my identity using a code sent...
  3. Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...: I have Windows 10 with local configuration without personal Microsoft account and, in "Access work or school", I logged in with my company's account.:My big problem is that, now, I would like to switch my local account to my work access account office 365. Is there a way to...
  4. Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change from local account or local configuration without Microsoft account to Office 365...: I have Windows 10 with local configuration without personal Microsoft account and, in "Access work or school", I logged in with my company's account.:My big problem is that, now, I would like to switch my local account to my work access account office 365. Is there a way to...
  5. how to connect microsoft account to local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead because i want to use a local account...
  6. how to connect microsoft account to local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead...
  7. how to connect microsoft account to local account

how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead...
  8. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing Login PIN without microsoft account: I bought my work computer from my employer when I left the company. Recently, my 5yo son has been making unauthorized purchases. I thought I would make him a new account with parental controls to prevent this going forward. I can change the password, but unfortunately he can...
  9. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Login PIN without microsoft account: I bought my work computer from my employer when I left the company. Recently, my 5yo son has been making unauthorized purchases. I thought I would make him a new account with parental controls to prevent this going forward. I can change the password, but unfortunately he can...
  10. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account