Windows 10: How to control switching windows when an app instance opens

Discus and support How to control switching windows when an app instance opens in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For some apps/programs, when I open a new instance and there is an active window on another desktop, they open a new window in the present desktop. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by philosofool, Feb 6, 2020.

1. How to control switching windows when an app instance opens

For some apps/programs, when I open a new instance and there is an active window on another desktop, they open a new window in the present desktop. For some apps, when I open another instance and there is an active instance on another desktop, the desktop switches to that one.

Example of Not Switching:

I am on desktop 1, where I have Chrome open. I switch to desktop 2 and I click to open Chrome from the taskbar. A new Chrome window opens on Desktop 2. The instance of Chrome in desktop 1 is unaffected.

Example of Switching:

I am on desktop 1, where I have Excel open. I switch to desktop 2 and click in finder to open sheet1.xlsx. Sheet1.xlsx is opened in desktop 1 and windows switches to desktop 1 with sheet1.xlsx the active window in Excel.

Is there a way to control this behavior? I have recently switched browsers and I usually want to have a browser instance on each desktop. It's annoying to have to open a browser window, get moved to a different desktop and then have to move the window back to the desktop I want to work in.

:)

philosofool, Feb 6, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. How to control switching windows when an app instance opens :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Feb 6, 2020
  3. default apps not opening in windows 10

Hi,

• Run the SFC.
    Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.

• Select “Run as Administrator”.

• Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.

• I would suggest you to run the App troubleshooter and check if that fixes the issue.
    a. Open Control Panel and click on troubleshooting.

b. Click on View All. Click on Windows Apps. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Also refer to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

Anannya Podder, Feb 6, 2020
  4. RonForbes Win User

How to control switching windows when an app instance opens

Windows 10 - Control panel and OneDrive not opening

I am unable to open OneDrive and the Control Panel on Windows 10 App list. This started only a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions?

RonForbes, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

How to control switching windows when an app instance opens

1. How to control switching windows when an app instance opens - Similar Threads - control switching app

2. Why does Windows open a new instance of a directory window when one is already open?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows open a new instance of a directory window when one is already open?: I have never seen a satisfactory response to this question. Every time a directory is selected in Windows Explorer it opens that directory even though one is already open. The result is that there are multiple windows showing the same directory. What is the point of that?...
  3. Windows Key+number to open taskbar app does not work when multiple instances of app are open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Key+number to open taskbar app does not work when multiple instances of app are open: Hello. I frequently use the shortcut Win+Number to open applications on the taskbar Win+1 for file explorer, Win+2 for Chrome, and so on which is very convenient and fast. When there are multiple instances of an app running, I expect that this shortcut will open the latest...
  4. Windows Key+number to open taskbar app does not work when multiple instances of app are open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Key+number to open taskbar app does not work when multiple instances of app are open: Hello. I frequently use the shortcut Win+Number to open applications on the taskbar Win+1 for file explorer, Win+2 for Chrome, and so on which is very convenient and fast. When there are multiple instances of an app running, I expect that this shortcut will open the latest...
  5. UsbDeviceSignalHandler open when switching between Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UsbDeviceSignalHandler open when switching between Windows: I noticed that for some time I have that weird invisible window or something named USB device signal handler. I can't find it in processes what starts to worry me, that I got some **** or some USB problem I'm not aware of. I did notice any change since this thing appears is...
  6. Windows Photo Viewer opens multiple instances when previewing images

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Photo Viewer opens multiple instances when previewing images: [ATTACH]Windows 10 introduced us to the all-new and polished Photos app as its default […] This article Windows Photo Viewer opens multiple instances when previewing images first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps): Is there a possibility that the window of an app to be opened, which is open in another desktop, moves to the current desktop instead of changing the desktop?...
  8. 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search

3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search: Since this afternoon, launching programs by typing in the Start search bar will open 3 instances of that app. So if I press the WINDOWS KEY, type "Notepad" or "Note" then hit ENTER, three Notepad windows will open. It does this for any program that can run multiple...
  9. my cursor disappears when switching between open apps

my cursor disappears when switching between open apps: When I have multiple pages on the desktop open one disappears when switching between the open apps. How do I fix this in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cursor-disappears-when-switching-between-open/e71af598-723d-4e5d-bdbf-274840731113
  10. Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10: How to: Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10 How to Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 introduces a new feature called Task view. Task view is a virtual desktop manager that allows you to quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple...