Windows 10: How to convert actual XP PC with apps and files into XP VM on Win 10?

Discus and support How to convert actual XP PC with apps and files into XP VM on Win 10? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; My old XP machine (still running) has apps and files going back to 2008, including 10GB of emails, and I'd like to convert it into a Virtual Machine on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by glnz, Dec 26, 2020.

1. glnz Win User

How to convert actual XP PC with apps and files into XP VM on Win 10?

My old XP machine (still running) has apps and files going back to 2008, including 10GB of emails, and I'd like to convert it into a Virtual Machine on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit (currently version 1909). So the XP will always be there when I need to get something, but would no longer connect to the internet a;though ideally should make it possible for me to copy and paste from the XP VM into the real Win 10.

BTW, I kept my XP machine updated through April 2019 using the POS hack.

So, is this possible?

I just played with Hyper-V on my Win 10 machine for the first ever time last night, and so I'm a VM virgin. I suppose Hyper-V would be the way to go, but if you prefer a different virtualization app for this purpose, feel free to suggest.

At this point, giving me links to steps would be a great start. I don't ask for an encyclopedia at this point.

Thanks!!

:)

2. pepanee Win User

Bulk convert XPS to PDF

Found this free app for ya. I just tried it out myself. Seems to work fine:

XPS To PDF Converter

1) Scroll all the way down and download XPSToPDFSetup.exe
    2) Install the app
    3) Once installed, open the app > press Advanced > press Batch Converter
    4) Press the Add Files button > go to the folder with all your XPS files > select all of them > press the Open button
    5) Press the Start Conversion button
    6) Files will now convert. They will all be saved as PDF files in that same folder with all the XPS files. XPS files won't get deleted. I suggest you keep them and save them somewhere safe, just in case
    7) Now double check each PDF and make sure they got converted correctly. Readable text/images/organized/etc

I hope that was helpful.

pepanee, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Accessing files on the old Windows 7 XP Mode VM

After successfully upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a friend discovered that he cannot start his XP Mode VM neither access files on the virtual HD disk of the XP Mode VM.

Given that I do know that the VM cannot be started, how can he copy files from the disk?

A full backup of the Windows 7 PC is available, so the virtual disk can be restored if necessary.

Regards

marius

Marius - Roma, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps

Wolfgang, you need at least two steps (Vista & Seven) between XP and 10, the Eight can be bypassed:
    • XP can only be in-place upgraded to Vista, not Seven or later
    • Vista can be in-place upgraded to Seven but not Eight or later
    • Seven can be in-place upgraded to 10
    • Ergo: XP to Vista is a must, as well as Vista to Seven but then you can bypass the Eight and jump to 10

Thema:

1. How to convert actual XP PC with apps and files into XP VM on Win 10? - Similar Threads - convert actual apps

2. How do I Activate Win XP on VM Workstation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I Activate Win XP on VM Workstation?: O.K. it's old hat, but I need XP. When the dialogue appears, it won't connect with the Internet. So I try the telephone bit. It only comes up with Win 10.I've done this procedure with every pc that I put XP on as a virtual. It's installed from a disk [not downloaded from the...
  3. How do I Activate Win XP on VM Workstation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I Activate Win XP on VM Workstation?: O.K. it's old hat, but I need XP. When the dialogue appears, it won't connect with the Internet. So I try the telephone bit. It only comes up with Win 10.I've done this procedure with every pc that I put XP on as a virtual. It's installed from a disk [not downloaded from the...
  4. Activation of Windows XP on VM

Activation of Windows XP on VM: Dear Microsoft,Unfortunately we had some very important legacy software that run on Windows XP only.My vendor told me to clone the hard disk to VM and then seek Microsoft to activate it as this is how hegot his cloned Windows XP work.We successfully cloned it to VM but...
  5. Activation of Windows XP on VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of Windows XP on VM: Dear Microsoft,Unfortunately we had some very important legacy software that run on Windows XP only.My vendor told me to clone the hard disk to VM and then seek Microsoft to activate it as this is how hegot his cloned Windows XP work.We successfully cloned it to VM but...
  6. Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer: I have a Dell with an intelR core tm I7 CPU loaded with Win 10 Pro ver. 21.H2. The numbers on the keyboard are not working, so I have plugged in another keyboard which takes up a usb port and another mini wireless adapter that takes up the other usb port. There is not a third...
  7. Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer

Win 10 and Win XP File Transfer: I have a Dell with an intelR core tm I7 CPU loaded with Win 10 Pro ver. 21.H2. The numbers on the keyboard are not working, so I have plugged in another keyboard which takes up a usb port and another mini wireless adapter that takes up the other usb port. There is not a third...
  8. XP VM nternet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XP VM nternet access: i have my Wn10 machine running Hyper-V and i've started my xp VM machine but cannot get the NIC drivers or anything else running in it to make it useable. can someone please help? This is my first attempt at setting up a VM....
  9. XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity: Hi Folks, I am running Hyper V on a windows 10 machine. I am trying to run an XP virtual machine within Hyper V. All is running but the network has limited or no connectivity, so i cannot connect to my local network or map the drive to the server. I have the Network adapter...
  10. loadng Win 98/XP? files to Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    loadng Win 98/XP? files to Win 10: My problem is loading files from old hard drive to new Win 10 unit, as each computer crashed, got old and upgrading, finally on Win 10. Able to load files from Win 7 HD with cables and USB unit, no problem, oldest HD is Win 98/XP?, goes to quick extract but on forever w/o...