Windows 10: How to convert an internal drive to external?

Discus and support How to convert an internal drive to external? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I will be removing a Dell's OEM mechanical HD and installing an SSD then installing Windows 10 clean. Although the mechanical HD is a dog I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by markg2, Jun 11, 2017.

1. markg2 Win User

How to convert an internal drive to external?

I will be removing a Dell's OEM mechanical HD and installing an SSD then installing Windows 10 clean.

Although the mechanical HD is a dog I'm thinking that it would serve just fine as a USB/Macrium Reflect destination for this laptop.

Is it possible to buy a 'box' that not only would house the 2.5" drive but also have a USB cord/plug as part of the box? If so, what is this box called?

Mark

:)

markg2, Jun 11, 2017
  2. Martmcd Win User

Backing up an internal drive to another internal drive

some other points to note/try

1) if you are running any third party security software, try disabling it (temporarily) to see it has any effect.

2) check that the following services are not disabled (click start, type services and press enter)

Windows Event Log

Task Scheduler

Windows Backup

3) run the system file checker, click start type cmd right click on command prompt and select run as administrator. in command prompt type

sfc /scannow

press enter

let us know the response

Martmcd, Jun 11, 2017
  3. Mark-NY Win User
    Backing up an internal drive to another internal drive

The final result is is: It cannot be done within Windows 10. RIght now I'm just making a copy of D: onto E:, but that's not going to be a practical way to approach this. I'm looking for some third party software that may be able to do this.

Cheers.

Mark-NY, Jun 11, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Jun 11, 2017
  5. markg2 Win User
    I went to Amazon ($ not pounds<g>).

I don’t get it. 2 similar boxes, same manufacturer, different product numbers, seem to do the same thing, neither includes the cord yet one is 2+x the cost of the other? Is it because the more expensive box is ‘optimized for an SSD’?

This box is $9.99 Prime: Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [Support UASP] (EC-DFLT)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=160354011

Whereas this device is 22.99 Prime: Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=160354011

markg2, Jun 11, 2017
  6. storageman, Jun 11, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
  8. markg2 Win User

Thanks, I purchased the Inateck--good review, good price.

markg2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to convert an internal drive to external? - Similar Threads - convert internal drive

2. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External disk converted back to internal: Running Windows 10New computerIn my prior PC, I had a E: Drive as an internal drive.While setting up my new PC, I temporarily used the HD as an external USB drive.To my recollection, no changes were made to the disk.When I installed the HD as an internal drive today, it is...
  3. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External disk converted back to internal: Running Windows 10New computerIn my prior PC, I had a E: Drive as an internal drive.While setting up my new PC, I temporarily used the HD as an external USB drive.To my recollection, no changes were made to the disk.When I installed the HD as an internal drive today, it is...
  4. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?: Hi OK I got a new fan and attempted to fix my old laptop (the Acer Aspire 5742) but it didn't work. (Even though the old fan looks ok. And it wasn't even that dusty). But it was an eleven year old laptop, so... Anyway I still have 4 days work on the old laptop SSD. So will...
  6. How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to system clone an external hard drive to internal ssd: I recently got my laptop hdd replaced with an ssd and needed the entire system cloned but I guess the technician didn't understand because he gave me a laptop with a fresh windows 10 copy and only the user profile files stored in a folder called backup Is it possible to...
  7. CD/DVD Internal and External Drives

CD/DVD Internal and External Drives: My internal CD/DVD drive was working and now has stopped. I have also added two external CD/DVD drives. One drive is a Blu-ray and the other is a standard CD/DVD drive burner/writer etc. I have made sure Windows 10 is updated, I have also tried just update the drivers and...
  8. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Disconnect internal hard drive externally: Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd. Ron 98831
  9. Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive: I am trying to use Windows 10 Rescue and Recovery to back up or image my entire HD. I will either backup onto my internal HD or an external HD. The Resue and Recovery does not give the option to use the C drive so it seems to me that if I created another drive or partition on...
  10. Internal Drives showing as External - Powershell command?

Internal Drives showing as External - Powershell command?: So after having to migrate to a new User Account on my local machine, the issue with having internal drives appearing as external ones is back. Previously I've managed to google my way to a Powershell script that took location and bus into consideration for an easy five...