Windows 10: How to convert Hyper-V Server 2019 boot method, from BIOS to UEFI

Discus and support How to convert Hyper-V Server 2019 boot method, from BIOS to UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have installed Hyper-V Server 2019 in a machine and it turns out that I didn't have the BIOS switched to UEFI boot. So, it was installed with BIOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kostas0, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Kostas0 Win User

How to convert Hyper-V Server 2019 boot method, from BIOS to UEFI

I have installed Hyper-V Server 2019 in a machine and it turns out that I didn't have the BIOS switched to UEFI boot.

So, it was installed with BIOS boot. what is wrong with the people choosing the default values anyway...? :

Since I have spent a fair amount of time updating the machine and configuring it, I am thinking of switching to UEFI boot with a conversion instead of a reinstall.

I have found this interesting article:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

The second method will probably work, but it is not recommended.

The first method is recommended, but it uses Windows GUI components that are missing from Hyper-V Server.

On top of that, mbr2gpt seems to be missing too.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for this?

1 Is the first method applicable to Hyper-V somehow?

2 Can I instead boot from a Windows10/WindowsServer2019 DVD, switch the GPT with mbr2gpt and have this transition?
    3 Is it better to reinstall?

4 Can the conversion to GPT affect the future performance of the drive compared to using a reinstall?

5 I guess that, if I want to reinstall the OS, I should export the VM to an external drive or shared network location, right? Copying the VM files and config manually, will probably not be a good idea.

_________

BTW, Hyper-V Server seems awesome!

I like the fact that one can manage it from WAC, the fact that it is Windows and the update is easy, the fact that it is free, the fact that you can manage it using PowerShell.

It has some rough edges though.

E.g., I recently tried to attach an ISO to a virtual DVD, and I couldn't.

The reason turned out to be that the ISO was on a DVD drive.
    I needed to copy the ISO on the OS drive.

The UI of WAC was not so helpful to figure things out.

And I am not sure why I couldn't attach it from the DVD drive to being with, nor if this is a problem with WAC or Hyper-V, but anyway...

:)

Kostas0, Jan 20, 2021

2. Why isn't Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 on the Microsoft Evaluation Center

I am aware that there were some issues with the Windows Server 2019 evaluation media after its rerelease on November 13, 2018. I am also aware that the issues are fixed and Windows Server 2019 Standard and Datacenter ISO is back. However, Hyper-V Server
    2019 is not out one week later. If you go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2019 you will not be able to download it. If you go to hyper-v-backup.backupchain.com/windows-server-2019-iso-free-download-hyper-v-server-2019/
    you can download it using Microsoft links. Has Microsoft forgotten about Hyper-V Server 2019 or is there an issue with that too?

ServerLevelBoss, Jan 20, 2021
  3. Ashton W Win User
    Can I run two Windows Server operating systems inside Hyper-V?

Hi Nessenboro,

I am an independent advisor and a Microsoft user like you, and I would be happy to help you out with this.

Hyper-V is available on 64-bit versions of Windows 10 Pro. Your hardware also needs to support virtualization (may need to be enabled in BIOS/UEFI).

Provided that you have proper licensing to run the Server operating systems, you should be able to run them both. Be aware all 3 instances are sharing the same hardware. There are some features that work differently in Hyper-V on Windows than they do in Hyper-V
    running on Windows Server.

I would suggest if you haven't already to review this Microsoft documentation in regards to Hyper-V:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization...

Windows Server operating systems supported as guests include 2012, 2012 R2, 2016, and 2019. For more information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization...

I hope this has helped you. If this is not what you are looking for, please reply and let us know and we would be happy to look into providing some different suggestions!

Regards,

-Ashton

Ashton W, Jan 20, 2021
  4. How to convert Hyper-V Server 2019 boot method, from BIOS to UEFI

Hyper-V Server Core 2019

I did temporary install of hyper-v server core 2019 but was left bemused as to how we're supposed to administer system properties locally.

How do I manage System Properties or other Control Panel items from the command line?

There doesn't appear (on disk) to be a pagefile created and got me wondering how to manage such things. Also, automatic driver installation and system protection settings.

is there a *printable* reference of PowerShell commands and other admin utils?

lastly. Why isn't there a dedicated forum for Server admins?

technogeist2k10, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

How to convert Hyper-V Server 2019 boot method, from BIOS to UEFI

1. How to convert Hyper-V Server 2019 boot method, from BIOS to UEFI - Similar Threads - convert Hyper Server

2. Hyper-V Server 2019 - Resource monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Server 2019 - Resource monitor: Hi,I am using Windows Hyper-V Server 2019 as hypervisor. It is Windows core edition, so there is limited GUI management.Most administration tasks can be done remotely through Computer Management. However, in last days I needed to closely monitor disk performance. On Windows...
  3. Hyper-V Server 2019 - Resource monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Server 2019 - Resource monitor: Hi,I am using Windows Hyper-V Server 2019 as hypervisor. It is Windows core edition, so there is limited GUI management.Most administration tasks can be done remotely through Computer Management. However, in last days I needed to closely monitor disk performance. On Windows...
  4. server 2019 hyper V server 2019 domain controller Ordinal Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    server 2019 hyper V server 2019 domain controller Ordinal Error: Server 2019 hyper V server 2019 domain controller I installed quick books and file doctor and reinstalled c++ multiple versions to get my network work shares working right, which wasn't right. Hence, I de-installed my virus software, thinking it was a firewall issue. After...
  5. server 2019 hyper V server 2019 domain controller Ordinal Error

server 2019 hyper V server 2019 domain controller Ordinal Error: Server 2019 hyper V server 2019 domain controller I installed quick books and file doctor and reinstalled c++ multiple versions to get my network work shares working right, which wasn't right. Hence, I de-installed my virus software, thinking it was a firewall issue. After...
  6. How to Install Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 Server on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Install Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 Server on Hyper-V: Dear Community,I am trying to install Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 on Hyper-V but I faced multiple errors such as "Boot Faliure, Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device"could you help please?Thanks....
  7. How to Install Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 Server on Hyper-V

How to Install Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 Server on Hyper-V: Dear Community,I am trying to install Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 on Hyper-V but I faced multiple errors such as "Boot Faliure, Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device"could you help please?Thanks....
  8. Windows Server 2019 Hyper V can not be Active

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 2019 Hyper V can not be Active: Hi Team, Windows Server 2019 Hyper V can not be ActiveAlso, Key Board is not working on Hyper V Machine. Please check and solve This Issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-server-2019-hyper-v-can-not-be-active/5aceb2a2-deaa-4515-9565-e712524f362e
  9. How to convert BIOS TO UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to convert BIOS TO UEFI: Good evening folks. I have Lenovo Thick Pad T450. BIOS Legacy. How can l convert the BIOS to UEFI? without reinstalling windows?Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-bios-to-uefi/f67fb0ed-5919-497e-a1c6-12fe56891b57
  10. Hyper-V Server 2019 - hardware compatibility?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Server 2019 - hardware compatibility?: Hi. I'm buying a new PC for Hyper-V Server 2019, running a couple of Windows 10 VM's. I would like to buy a new computer to last at least some years. I'm reading some posts that people have some issues with drivers for NIC interfaces, so I guess having the latest technology...