Windows 10: How to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell

Discus and support How to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have a VHDX file and you want to make it compatible with some other virtual machine that supports VHD format, then this post... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 28, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

How to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell

WinClub, Dec 28, 2019

2. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

There is no problem with File Backups. It is the System Image Backup .vhdx file which I am trying to view, using it to mount a VHD (Drive MHow to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell :) which appears empty to File Manager. As you suggested I had a good look at the W7 tutorial for file mounting, and explored some of its links, but to no avail.

I also tried to mount the VHD with Diskpart from elevated command prompt: Diskpart; select vdisk file=filename.vhdx; attach vdisk. There was no need to assign a drive letter as Windows remembered it, which is annoying. M: was again empty.

Then, Windows PowerShell: Mount-VHD -Path "[location of vhd]". This cmdlet failed with error message "Mount-VHD is not recognised as the name of a cmdlet ...". Googling this, I found this could be due to the absence of a Hyper-V module for Windows PowerShell. Now, I know that Hyper-V Virtualization does not come with W10 Home but does with W10 Pro. Could my problem be related? Could it be that the image file is vdhx rather than vdh which I assume was the format in W7? I am out of my depth here, and don't want to experiment without advice.

Out of interest I checked UEFI Bios and found Virtualisation Technology to be disabled, and Hyper-V missing from the Programs and Features list in Control Panel. With some trepidation I tried Enabling Virtualisation. Programs and Features list was unchanged, as was the PowerShell outcome and the zero content of M: after attaching via Disk Management. I returned Virtualisation to Disabled.

Drive M:'s properties show its partition type to be GUID, not MBR.

Grateful for any further thoughts. Thanks.

Old Novice, Dec 28, 2019
  3. lx07 Win User
  4. cereberus Win User

Risk with adding Hyper-V?

You do not need to install Hyper-V to convert a vhd to a vhdx file if that is what you want to do.

Simply create a vhdx file of same or larger capacity as vhd file.

TThen mount both vhd and vhdx files as drive and clone vhd to vhdx using Macrium Reflect Free.

cereberus, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

1. How to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell - Similar Threads - convert Hyper VHDX

2. How to Start & Stop Hyper-V VM using PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    How to Start & Stop Hyper-V VM using PowerShell: [IMG]After you install or enable Hyper-V on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 host machine, you can create VMs to run a different operating system (guest OS) for various purposes. In this post, we will show you how to Start & Stop Hyper-V VM using PowerShell. How to Start & Stop...
  3. How to boot into bootable differencing vhdx in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to boot into bootable differencing vhdx in Hyper-V: Hello, I am trying to upgrade my boot to VHD VHDX to the latest Windows 10 update using this terrific tutorial from @Kari: Native boot Virtual Hard Disk - How to upgrade Windows However, I am having trouble getting the vhdx to boot in Hyper-V. Everything seems to work as...
  4. Can't convert a VHDX with Convert-VHD in PowerShell or in Hyper-V Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't convert a VHDX with Convert-VHD in PowerShell or in Hyper-V Manager: I have a VHDX file that is an image of the system drive in a new laptop, created with Diskpart version 10.0.19041.1: create vdisk file="D:\PC_Original.vhdx" type=expandable source="\\.\physicaldrive0" If this is successful it was, I should be able to store and work with...
  5. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  6. How to convert VHD to VHDX using Hyper-V Manager

in Windows 10 News
    How to convert VHD to VHDX using Hyper-V Manager: [ATTACH]If you have a VHD file and you want to convert it to VHDX format, you can use Hyper-V Manager to get it done. This […] This post How to convert VHD to VHDX using Hyper-V Manager is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Compact a Hyper-V VHD

Compact a Hyper-V VHD: I have Hyper-V VM with the Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview Build 9926 as the guest, and Windows 8.1 Pro as the host OS. I've been running it for 3 months now, with at least 2 build updates. But I can't compact the VHD. The used drive space on the VM guest is 16.8 GB, while...
  8. Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx

Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx: If I create a generation 1 VM I can native boot the vhdx by adding bcd entry. If I make a generation 2 VM it fails with "a required device isn't connected...0xc0000225". Pressing f8 for "Startup Settings" gives "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a...
  9. Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD: How to: Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD [img] Information First a quote from Microsoft Developer Network's (MSDN) support article: Native Boot allows you to create a virtual hard disk (VHD), install Windows to it, and then boot it up, either on your PC side-by-side with...
  10. Hyper-V - Create and Use VHD of Windows 10 with Disk2VHD

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Create and Use VHD of Windows 10 with Disk2VHD: How to: Hyper-V - Create and Use VHD of Windows 10 with Disk2VHD How to Create VHD of Windows 10 Installation and Use in Hyper-V [img] Note The tutorial has been updated today (20-MAR-2017). Please post all your questions about this process in this thread. Please...