Windows 10: How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10

Discus and support How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]The install.wim has been replaced with install.esd file format in Windows 10 image file downloaded using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 10, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10

How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10 Convert-install.esd-to-install.wim-file-DISM-GUI.jpg
    The install.wim has been replaced with install.esd file format in Windows 10 image file downloaded using the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant. In this post, we will show you how to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10. Convert install.esd to install.wim file When you convert the ESD file to a WIM file […]

This article How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jun 10, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool

It's not a tool, just a short tutorial to show how to use DISM to convert ESD file to a WIM file: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

3. Kari Win User
    Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

In all its simplicity, here's that step in two screenshots:

How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10 [​IMG]

How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10 [​IMG]

BTW, I edited step 2.9 and added step 2.10 just now. Here's how 2.9 it was before edits:

And here 2.9 and 2.10 after edits:

Also worth to remember is that after ESD to WIM conversion, new ISO only contains a single edition which always has index number 1. Using your CODE sample as an example, you made W10 PRO single edition WIM from W10 multi edition ESD. In original ESD the PRO edition is / was index 8, in new WIM file it's index 1.

4. How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10

Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM; install error 0xc0000225, if left unchanged in ESD format!

Hello,

I have downloaded the following file directly from Microsoft:

17763.379.190312-0539.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTBUSINESS_VOL_x64FRE_de-de.esd (3.3 GB in size)

It contains almost all Windows 10 editions in ESD image format, Build 17763.379 stable.

Then I wanted to create an ISO image out of it, in order to make a Win10 Enterprise installation DVD. I used the most actual version of
    NTLite to accomplish that, which also supports ESD decrypting & converting. First, I removed all W10 editions except "Windows 10 Enterprise" - so, only the following images were left inside the parent ESD image in the end:

1. Windows Setup Media

2. Microsoft Windows PE (x64)

3. Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)

4. Windows 10 Enterprise

By doing this, I could shrink the size of the original ESD image by approx. 140MB to
    3.16GB.

Next, I had to convert the (files inside the) ESD image to WIM format, otherwise I could not create an ISO image out of it - NTLite told me, it's an "isolated image" despite all necessary files
    besides "install.wim" & "boot.wim" were
    also included in the ESD image (Windows Setup Media, WinPE, Windows Setup).

So, I converted all 4 entities listed above to WIM format - which naturally increased their size. As a result of the converting process, a folder was created with the same name as the original ESD file, right beneath it and
    4.40 GB in size. After the conversion was done, "install.wim" ("Windows 10 Enterprise") and "boot.wim" ("Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)") showed up on NTLite's list as well as the aforementioned folder, that was newly created - both WIM files
    were linked to this folder. I tried to apply "Recompress" to both WIM files, but that process did
    not change their size in any way! "install.wim" remained
    3.80GB in size and "boot.wim" 348MB.

Finally, the "Create ISO image" option showed up on NTLite as I selected the folder linking both WIM files in NTLites's list. NTLite asked me to specify a destination folder and give a filename, before starting to create the ISO image.

The resulting ISO image was 4.41GB in size (despite removing all obsolete W10 editions and trying to recompress the WIM images) and as such, it didn't fit into a DVD media (which supports 4.37 or 4.38GB max.) - I noticed that only, once
    the DVD burner returned an error message, stating the image was too big in size...

So, I tried a workaround by re-converting "install.wim" back to ESD format - this wasn't possible for "boot.wim" though... only install.wim. The resulting
    install.esd file was almost a Gigabyte smaller than install.wim. Again, after re-conversion, I created an ISO image and this time the image size fit in and I could successfully burn it onto a DVD.

Immediately afterwards, I tested the new install media (booting DVD in UEFI mode directly from BIOS, SecureBoot disabled) and a few seconds after seeing the Windows icon, an error message showed up:

0xc0000225 ("file system32\boot\winload.efi could not be loaded, is missing or corrupt" - something like that)

I'm sure, it must have something to do with the ESD format - I'm pretty certain, this error would not occur with WIM format ("install.wim"), because I inspected install.esd by mounting it, and it *does* contain winload.efi!

But otherwise, the image size doesn't fit into a DVD - so, I don't know what to do now...

Looking forward for help!

TSOM

The Spirit of Morpheus, Jun 10, 2021
Thema:

How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10

1. How to convert install.esd to install.wim file in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - convert install esd

2. .esd does work without .wim

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .esd does work without .wim: Can use DISM for .ESD (windows is compressed) repair below without converting to .WIM: Run as admin & fix # of OS and letter of installation flash drive: ! Be sure to use the right Drive letter so likely replace the E. 1-insert OS flashdrive,2- copy 1st string to Word doc...
  3. Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...

Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...: Hello, I have downloaded the following file directly from Microsoft: 17763.379.190312-0539.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTBUSINESS_VOL_x64FRE_de-de.esd (3.3 GB in size) It contains almost all Windows 10 editions in ESD image format, Build 17763.379 stable. Then I...
  4. Error during convert from ESD to WIM image MSMG Toolkit 9.1

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error during convert from ESD to WIM image MSMG Toolkit 9.1: Hi ! I'm using MSMG Toolkit 9.1 (All operations I'm doing on Windows 10_64bit_build 1809 having administrator rights ) When I want to convert ESD to WIM (install.esd to install.wim) windows_10.iso , I'm receiving next message 'D:\MSMG' is not recognized as an internal or...
  5. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  6. Create a wim or esd file with no volume image

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a wim or esd file with no volume image: [img] Hi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye 42214
  7. Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool: Hi, I'm facing difficulty while trying to convert .ESD to .WIM File I'm using a script that belongs to below source: How to convert install.esd to install.wim Mark The Tech DISM giving me the following error when reaching at 84%> error 605 the specified buffer...
  8. convert wim file to vdh

convert wim file to vdh: I have several custom wim files each containing bootable windows 7 images plus applications how do I convert these to a format to run as virtual PC's in VMware or Virtual box. There are many solutions out there (notably using a convert-windowsimage .ps1 in powershell) but...
  9. Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?

Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?: Hi guys, I'm trying to make a 10 Pro 10586 image with MDT 2013 Update 1 and I cannot use the ISO I got from the Media Creation Tool. I realized this is because the ISO now uses a install.esd instead of install.wim; I read that it is possible to extract the .wim from a ESD...
  10. Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10: How to: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msmg toolkit convert esd to wim

2. www.windowsphoneinfo.com