Windows 10: How to convert Windows 10 GPT disk to MBR with re-install?

Discus and support How to convert Windows 10 GPT disk to MBR with re-install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello friends, My current config: Laptop = HP Pavilion sleekbook 14 BIOS = UEFI HDD = 500GB with GPT style OS = Windows 10 I want to rebuild... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nir2014, Mar 23, 2018.

1. nir2014 Win User

How to convert Windows 10 GPT disk to MBR with re-install?

Hello friends,

My current config:
    Laptop = HP Pavilion sleekbook 14
    BIOS = UEFI
    HDD = 500GB with GPT style
    OS = Windows 10

I want to rebuild it with MBR partition style (for experimental reasons) and took complete backup in external drive so I do NOT need to preserve data for this method.

What I did so far:
    1) Prepared 16GB pen drive with Windows 10 using Rufus by choosing option of "MBR partition type for Legacy BIOS"

2) took complete backup of my laptop

What I will do next:
    1) Goto BIOS and change BIOS to "legacy" and disable "secure boot"
    2) Boot with USB drive
    3) Press shift+F10
    4) run diskpart and list / select / "clean" and then run "convert mbr" and continue with the installation.

Will the above method work? if not, please advise. I need to guide someone remotely who doesn't have another laptop hence being very careful before starting the installation.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

:)

nir2014, Mar 23, 2018
  2. Jon-Stark Win User

3TB Drive format windows 10 not working

This is because your hard disk is MBR disk, you can check it in Disk Management.
    which only supports 2 TB drive. so the only way to get your space backup is to convert your disk back to GPT disk. Disk management can only convert a disk to MBR when it is empty. Therefore, you need a third party software to

convert MBR to GPT on Windows 10
    without affecting the OS, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant.after installing this software, the Convert mBR/GPT wizard will guide you through the process. How to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT without Losing Data?

Jon-Stark, Mar 23, 2018
  3. qinada Win User
    Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Mar 23, 2018
  4. How to convert Windows 10 GPT disk to MBR with re-install?

It should work. I have done that method on my desktop and my laptop without any problems.

RoasterMen, Mar 23, 2018
Thema:

How to convert Windows 10 GPT disk to MBR with re-install?

1. How to convert Windows 10 GPT disk to MBR with re-install? - Similar Threads - convert GPT disk

2. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  3. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  4. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  6. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  7. Converting Windows 10 MBR Disk to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting Windows 10 MBR Disk to GPT: I have two internal disks and one external on my desktop. One of the internals is a GPT 1Tb disk for data and archive storage. The other is an MBR Windows 10 system disk and the external one is a 1TB USB. The system disk contains a System Reserved partition and the Windows 10...
  8. how to convert MBR to GPT?

how to convert MBR to GPT?: hi I have a problem in installing Windows 10 from usb drive. Error is "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has MBR partition table. on efi system windows can only installed to GPT disk" I have formatted without aware this issue. I have few...
  9. Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 [img] Information GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard...
  10. Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard BIOS partition...