Windows 10: How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?

Discus and support How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I do this in Windows 10? I have a folder of files, and I want to copy the folder and all of its contents onto an external hardisk which already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevei, Apr 12, 2016.

1. stevei Win User

How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?

How do I do this in Windows 10? I have a folder of files, and I want to copy the folder and all of its contents onto an external hardisk which already contains a folder of the same name, and also contains some of the files that I am now trying to copy. Prior to Windows 10, a dialog would open up asking me what I wanted to do with files and folders that already existed in the target directory, and I had the option to skip copying the ones that existed. Now it seems that Windows 10 doesn't ask me anything, and just makes a new copy of my root directory, tacking on the extra " copy" to the name.

I definitely do not want this. I am manually making an incremental backup, and I need the old behavior, where I get asked if I want to skip the files and folders that already exist. Is there any way to still do this?

Thanks!

:)

stevei, Apr 12, 2016
  2. JohnCPR Win User

How to copy a list of subfolders from a folder to a system folder

I finally found the solution myself. There is a box available beside the heading "name" above the list of subfolders and files that appear when the main folder is clicked. When this box is checked, the list of subfolders and any files appear highlighted
    with preceding checked boxes. If all files are not needed, the required folders and files to be dragged and dropped to the receiving folder can be selected by unchecking the files that are not needed.

However, if the box to be checked does not appear beside "name", another box must be checked that is found in the View tab. I find that to check a hidden box (revealed by clicking the View tab) to reveal another box to be checked is not intuitive.

JohnCPR, Apr 12, 2016
  3. JohnCPR Win User
    How to copy a list of subfolders from a folder to a system folder

Apologies if I did not provide adequate information.

This PC is a video editing support quad core PC with 4 drives. The moved system files are on the E drive "E:\Backup(Windows10ReinstallExtras)".

JohnCPR, Apr 12, 2016
  4. How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?

I have no idea how to change this, or in your case, restore this, but by default, Windows 10 handles file copying exactly the same as previous versions of Windows.

DeaconFrost, Apr 12, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Something has gone amiss in your computer.

Mine works just like you wanted to .................
    I purposely copy my music folder to a flash drive which already has the folder with the same contents.
    Here is what happened...........................

How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder? [​IMG]

davidhk, Apr 12, 2016
  6. stevei Win User
    Well, I wish I knew what is wrong. I have tried several times, with several different root folders, and each time the same happened ... I didn't get prompted for what I wished to have done, and the new "copy" version of the root folder was created. I would suspect that somehow my PC has been told that this is the default behavior that I would like to have happen, and because of that I am no longer asked. If this is the case, then I have to figure out how to undo authorizing this default behavior. Anyone have any ideas?

stevei, Apr 12, 2016
  7. stevei Win User
    Ah I found it! I Googled what the message is given as on my Windows 7 laptop, where the desired behavior still occurs, and I found this link that explains it all:

How to Enable Folder Merge Conflict Message in Windows 8 and Later? - AskVG

As I assumed, Windows 10 (and in fact Windows 8 and above) have irritatingly made as default the behavior I am now observing on my Windows 10 machine. The link above explains how to revert things back to how it worked in Windows 7.

stevei, Apr 12, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Congrats.
    Now mark your thread as Solved so others with the same question will know there is an answer in this thread.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 12, 2016
  9. sml156 Win User
    Just in case Askvg.com does not stand the test of time this is the solution @stevei was looking for

sml156, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder? - Similar Threads - copy folder same

2. bulk copy folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    bulk copy folders: I have a folder with 15000 folders inside. I have a list with the specific folder names of 800 of these folders which are scattered throughout the whole set. I need to copy these 800 folders into a new folder. I need them to stay as folders because inside each folder is 6...
  3. bulk copy folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bulk copy folders: I have a folder with 15000 folders inside. I have a list with the specific folder names of 800 of these folders which are scattered throughout the whole set. I need to copy these 800 folders into a new folder. I need them to stay as folders because inside each folder is 6...
  4. bulk copy folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Copies in Folders

File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  6. File Copies in Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  7. How to copy Users folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to copy Users folder?: I want to backup my c:\Users folder but it has for some folders protection and doesn't allow me to copy on other hdd. How can I do this? submitted by /u/Perk8one [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gnmdip/how_to_copy_users_folder/
  8. Creating a copy of a folder that is populated with shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a copy of a folder that is populated with shortcuts.: This was the theory anyway. We tossed the idea around but I can only envision it being done in multiple steps with several different programs to create the whole thing. There has got to be an easier way that we have just never used. The folder is local on a shared drive. The...
  9. copying folders issue

copying folders issue: system: windows 10 home 64 Latitude E5270 Laptop im having strange issue when i copy folders to my seagate drive ill try to explain it i have folder on seagate drive called desktopv1 when i copy folder from computer called only desktop it will copy the...
  10. create a new folder or copy a file to a specific folder it doesn't a

in Windows 10 Support
    create a new folder or copy a file to a specific folder it doesn't a: Hi everyone, It seem my windows 10 Home having problem, a simple malfunction which I don't understand why this happening, the problem related to each time I create a new folder or copy a file to a specific folder it doesn't appear until press the F5 key to refresh. Does...