Windows 10: How to copy a large amount of files and maintain folder structure and file order?

Discus and support How to copy a large amount of files and maintain folder structure and file order? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have this digital picture frame, and I want to put a large amount (~40,000) photos on it. The files are nicely sorted into subdirectories (and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TyrionXavier, Feb 22, 2021.

1. How to copy a large amount of files and maintain folder structure and file order?

I have this digital picture frame, and I want to put a large amount (~40,000) photos on it. The files are nicely sorted into subdirectories (and sub-sub, and sub-sub-sub, etc). I copied the files over to an sd card and inserted it into the device, and because Windows behaves the way it does, the copy of the files is not in the order they appear in windows.

For example, it copied half of the files that start with T, then skipped to another subfolder, then finished the ones that start with T.

This is causing navigation havoc on the picture frame. The frame expects the pictures to be copied in order, and they can't be alphabetized after the fact.

I know that I can use the FOR dos command to copy files in order, but to my knowledge, it does not support folders. For example:

for /r %i in (*) do copy "%i" "D:\Some Folder"\ // This will copy all files (with subfolder drilldown) to a destination folder, "Some Folder".

What I need is to be able to do exactly that, except maintain that folder structure, rather than copying all the files to the same place. Can anyone help out, either with a commandline that I don't know, or an application that will let me manually rewrite the folder structure of the SD card that I'm copying to?

submitted by /u/TyrionXavier
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TyrionXavier, Feb 22, 2021
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Feb 22, 2021
  4. oily_17 Win User

How to copy a large amount of files and maintain folder structure and file order?

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

How to copy a large amount of files and maintain folder structure and file order?

1. How to copy a large amount of files and maintain folder structure and file order? - Similar Threads - copy large amount

2. How to copy file metadata for a large number of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy file metadata for a large number of files: I have a lot of videos saved on my hard drive, each of which has a director listed in the metadata. I want to get a full list of those videos along with their directors, but can't seem to find a way to do so with Excel, or any other tool within Windows file explorer - there's...
  3. Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...: Windows 11 homeSource drive health report indicated something might be going upRobocopy Folders/Files from source drive to target drive failed. filename linkage errors.Reformatted target drive NTFS deep formatUsed Windows explorer to manually move small batches of...
  4. Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...: Windows 11 homeSource drive health report indicated something might be going upRobocopy Folders/Files from source drive to target drive failed. filename linkage errors.Reformatted target drive NTFS deep formatUsed Windows explorer to manually move small batches of...
  5. How to copy a folder structure including files within into multiple folders simultaneously.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy a folder structure including files within into multiple folders simultaneously.: Hello all,I was hoping you'd be able to help me.I am looking to copy a group of folders, some with files, some without, into multiple folders at once.Currently I have this.C:\Users\John\Downloads\SourceC:\Users\John\Desktop\DestinationFolder 1Folder 2Folder 3Folder 4Folder...
  6. How to copy a folder structure including files within into multiple folders simultaneously.

How to copy a folder structure including files within into multiple folders simultaneously.: Hello all,I was hoping you'd be able to help me.I am looking to copy a group of folders, some with files, some without, into multiple folders at once.Currently I have this.C:\Users\John\Downloads\SourceC:\Users\John\Desktop\DestinationFolder 1Folder 2Folder 3Folder 4Folder...
  7. needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files: hi there, all of you with great knowledge of computer world let me tell you first of all that i am not a very computer savvy person. so plz dont mind if i cant explain it properly or if my question is stupidI want to copy a file and folder structure to another dummy folder...
  8. needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files: hi there, all of you with great knowledge of computer world let me tell you first of all that i am not a very computer savvy person. so plz dont mind if i cant explain it properly or if my question is stupidI want to copy a file and folder structure to another dummy folder...
  9. needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files

10. A large amount of Files gone

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A large amount of Files gone: So I just booted my PC one day like normal when all of a sudden a MASSIVE amount of my files have gone missing along with programs and my wallpaper.Please someone help me I don't want to redownload everything and I also don't want to be missing numerous files that are...