Windows 10: How to copy all settings / desktop from one Laptop to another

Discus and support How to copy all settings / desktop from one Laptop to another in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am going to get a new laptop and want to setup settings / desktop the same as old Laptop. Both laptops have Windows 10. Any ideas how this can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jaburmester, Oct 24, 2015.

1. How to copy all settings / desktop from one Laptop to another

I am going to get a new laptop and want to setup settings / desktop the same as old Laptop.

Both laptops have Windows 10.

Any ideas how this can be done without doing it manually so I can save time?

Thank you for all help given.

:)

jaburmester, Oct 24, 2015

2. Migrate Settings from one Logon ID to another

Hi David,

Just to clarify ,what is the account type of the old and the new account? Is it the Microsoft account or Local account?

I'm sorry to inform you that you cannot transfer the working settings from the new ID to the old ID.

I suggest you to perform a clean boot in your old user account and check if the issue persists.

Clean boot

Perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, Oct 24, 2015
  3. Migrate Settings from one Logon ID to another

Ashwin,

I know it's not your fault, but I am not interested in yet another Microsoft Tech giving me yet another answer that argues "It's not our fault, you'll need to give up and start over". I wish to talk to community members who might have some ideas of how to
    actually analyse and solve the problem.

Microsoft Level 1 Techs: please do not answer this post.

David P. Vancouver, Oct 24, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

How to copy all settings / desktop from one Laptop to another

Sync everything to OneDrive.

Edwin, Oct 24, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Laplink PCMover or Easeus ToDo PCTrans if you want to transfer installed programs (and data) from one PC to another. The former I've used several times with 100s of programs installed with 99% success, tho' not on Win 10.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2015
  6. For Win10, laplink has changed their product lineup a bit. I believe, that to do that, you now need to have PC Mover Pro.

Mark Phelps, Oct 25, 2015
  7. Molyy Win User
    Vote for easeus PCtrans. It works in pretty much the same way with easeus todo backup, just being simpler by imaging programs or data.

Molyy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to copy all settings / desktop from one Laptop to another

1. How to copy all settings / desktop from one Laptop to another - Similar Threads - copy settings desktop

2. how to copy/move all media files from one location to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to copy/move all media files from one location to another?: Hi there,I want to be able to find all media-related files pictures, images, videos, etc and dump them on a USB drive.Windows XP was awesome for that as the Search tool itself gave you that ability by selecting an option to just do that and find all media files, pictures,...
  3. how to copy/move all media files from one location to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to copy/move all media files from one location to another?: Hi there,I want to be able to find all media-related files pictures, images, videos, etc and dump them on a USB drive.Windows XP was awesome for that as the Search tool itself gave you that ability by selecting an option to just do that and find all media files, pictures,...
  4. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  5. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  6. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to copy from one flash drive to another?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy from one flash drive to another?: How do I copy the folders from one flash drive to another and preserve the folder modification dates and security permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-copy-from-one-flash-drive-to-another/fcf961df-ce99-4ea8-b13a-45179f677093
  8. Items copied from one desktop to another after latest update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Items copied from one desktop to another after latest update: I have two computers using the same router. After the latest Win update, all the items that were on each desktop are now on both desktops. If an item is deleted on one desktop it is deleted on the other as well. How do I stop this?...
  9. Cannot copy all the files from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot copy all the files from one folder to another: Hello I'm in the process of converting quite a few files from WMA to MP3 via MediaHuman Audio Converter which allows me to do it in bulk rather than one at a time. The MP3 files are created in a folder on my hard drive and I'm trying to move them to a Sansa music clip...
  10. Copy Modern-app settings from one computer to another?

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy Modern-app settings from one computer to another?: Is it possible to copy settings of Modern apps from one computer to another? Example: copy all the settings from the Photos app on one computer to another computer. 8217

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy settings from desktop to laptop