Windows 10: How to copy contact address files from an old m/c running windows vista, to a new m/c...

Discus and support How to copy contact address files from an old m/c running windows vista, to a new m/c... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have copied the contacts list from the old m/c onto a memory stick and transferred these into the contacts file on the new m/c ~ although I can see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AlanCapell, Jan 28, 2019.

1. How to copy contact address files from an old m/c running windows vista, to a new m/c...

I have copied the contacts list from the old m/c onto a memory stick and transferred these into the contacts file on the new m/c ~ although I can see the files are there, the e-mail system does not seem to read them ~ any ideas please,

:)

AlanCapell, Jan 28, 2019

2. replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, Jan 28, 2019
  3. fjk61011 Win User
    new m.2 pcie ssd

OK. I disabled the old C: drive in the bios. Then I installed Build 14367 on the new M.2 SSD. I used the UEFI boot option and windows made the four partitions on the M.2 SSD. Up and running.

EDIT: Thanks for all the help everyone.

fjk61011, Jan 28, 2019
  4. Anusha Win User

How to copy contact address files from an old m/c running windows vista, to a new m/c...

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink How to copy contact address files from an old m/c running windows vista, to a new m/c... ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

How to copy contact address files from an old m/c running windows vista, to a new m/c...

1. How to copy contact address files from an old m/c running windows vista, to a new m/c... - Similar Threads - copy contact address

2. unknown file named "M" with no extension in "C:\Users"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unknown file named "M" with no extension in "C:\Users": I was monitoring my startup apps when i see this:opening its file location shows the c:/users directoryfile opened in Notepad++is this a virus?...
  3. unknown file named "M" with no extension in "C:\Users"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unknown file named "M" with no extension in "C:\Users": I was monitoring my startup apps when i see this:opening its file location shows the c:/users directoryfile opened in Notepad++is this a virus?...
  4. New M.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New M.2: Greetings,I've recently installed a second M.2 First one is my primary C: I installed a few games and it was working fine for a few days.Then suddenly it would Bluescreen Crash and restart my Windows 11 every time i would start a game.I installed and ran CrystalDiskMark and...
  5. New M.2

New M.2: Greetings,I've recently installed a second M.2 First one is my primary C: I installed a few games and it was working fine for a few days.Then suddenly it would Bluescreen Crash and restart my Windows 11 every time i would start a game.I installed and ran CrystalDiskMark and...
  6. Copying entire C drive running W10 over to a new C drive with no OS on it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copying entire C drive running W10 over to a new C drive with no OS on it: HiI hope this idea is correct....!I wanted to upgrade my W10 to W11 but my 7 year old desktop is too old to run it. I have ordered a newer, more modern desktop WITHOUT an OS on the C drive.My idea is to copy the entire W10 C drive over to the new one using Acronis and when...
  7. Five Partitions on M.2 SSD for C: Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Five Partitions on M.2 SSD for C: Windows: I was wondering if I can shrink one volume with 541MB Healthy with the drive I on the same M.2 500 GB Drive for C: Windows. Look below: On the same drive with Windows C:\ there are five different partitions below: 260 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition) (WINDOWS C:) 236.71 GB...
  8. This is a question for Greg C, Sumit D, or Dave M

This is a question for Greg C, Sumit D, or Dave M: When I click on any of the Windows apps I receive the message 'This app won't work on your PC'. Never had this problem before. The only difference from other times when I log on is that my laptop HP Aspire E15 running Windows 10 performed a disk repair when I turned it on....
  9. Mystery Folder: +7DBVL-cAVobqw 6~M (and 86,00+ Files on Drive C:)

in Windows 10 Support
    Mystery Folder: +7DBVL-cAVobqw 6~M (and 86,00+ Files on Drive C:): I have discovered a folder of which I have no knowledge on my C: drive, with the name of +7DBVL-cAVobqw 6~M. It contains about 86,000+ files of which again I have no knowledge. Some characteristics: The folder exists simply standalone in Windows C:, not part of another...
  10. File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Transfer from M.2 Nvme (C:) to SSD (D:) back to M.2 Nvme (C:): Hello everyone, I recently installed a new SSD to use for storage for my steam library. I was able to successfully transfer all my games without an issue. I was quite eager to free up my M.2 disk that I wanted to see what else I could transfer to my SSD to free up my M.2. I...