Windows 10: How to create a domain on Windows Server

Discus and support How to create a domain on Windows Server in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; This guide is especially made for server admins and people who want to create a domain at their office, company or university. We will teach you how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Win10 FaQ, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Win10 FaQ
    Win10 FaQ New Member

How to create a domain on Windows Server

This guide is especially made for server admins and people who want to create a domain at their office, company or university. We will teach you how to create a domain and add users to it step by step, but first, read the next section if you want to know what exactly a domain. So, […]

The post How to create a domain on Windows Server appeared first on Win10 FAQ.

read more...

Win10 FaQ, Dec 10, 2021
  2. changari Win User

Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Dec 10, 2021
  3. sammy Win User
    Question:- How to add client to domain from domain controller side?

Hi Guys,

-I have domain called lab.com created on virtual machine Windows Server 2008
    -I have added a client machine Linux machine rhel6 to domain lab.com in /etc/host file
    -I am able to ping DC from linux machine by IP and hostname .
    But from DC I can only ping Linux machine by IP address and not by its hostname "rhel61.lab.com"

I don't want to add linux machine entry to DC's hosts file as it is DC so it should resolve it

But I wish to know what step or doings I am missing from DC side that I am not able to ping linux machine by its hostname.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

sammy, Dec 10, 2021
  4. Greek Win User

Create FTP Server

hi guys, this will be too long to explain so ill keep it short, i'm trying to create an ftp server but im behind a router (Linksys wrt54gx) and it wont let me, ive used many software such as serv-u- and bullterproof to create a server, now it does create one but just on my local ip which is 192.168.1.100 and not my proper one, i've opened port 21 on the router but still no luck, when i try and create a domain with a proper IP 84... it doesn't work, i have set up and ftp before i was on a router and worked perfectly, but now i cant figure it out,

any1 gt any suggestions?

thanks

Greek

Greek, Dec 10, 2021
Thema:

1. How to create a domain on Windows Server - Similar Threads - create domain Server

2. How do I create a Windows Domain for the first time? Is the Windows Server platform's the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a Windows Domain for the first time? Is the Windows Server platform's the...: Hello,How can I start a Windows Domain for the first time?What is the prerequisites to craft my first Windows Domain, and how to get started locally on the LAN? Is just the Windows Server platform specifically, Server 2007 Series, Server 2012 Series, Server 2015 Series and...
  3. How do I create a Windows Domain for the first time? Is the Windows Server platform's the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I create a Windows Domain for the first time? Is the Windows Server platform's the...: Hello,How can I start a Windows Domain for the first time?What is the prerequisites to craft my first Windows Domain, and how to get started locally on the LAN? Is just the Windows Server platform specifically, Server 2007 Series, Server 2012 Series, Server 2015 Series and...
  4. no domain servers available message

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    no domain servers available message: windows 10 pc that has joined a domain working at home, switching between domain users gives problem. pc has been removed and added to the domein, problem persists. while at the logon screen vpn is not available. users gets error "no domain servers available" when...
  5. how to create a new user on a domain in windows 10 pro

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to create a new user on a domain in windows 10 pro: need to install a new user on our domain we are using windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-new-user-on-a-domain-in-windows-10/01f98fc0-6351-40e1-8d06-937b5a10fc2c
  6. Creating a server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating a server: Hi, How do I change my Onedrive business account to a shared network? Currently working on a project where I need to create a central file for other team members to create a local file on their PC to synchronise. Is there any possible way of doing this? Thanks....
  7. Method of creating a domain in Windows 10

Method of creating a domain in Windows 10: Can I create a domain in Windows 10 without using "windows server". For example : IIS. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/method-of-creating-a-domain-in-windows-10/237d997b-5bc7-4ae0-9e5c-7d8d13568b1e
  8. Method of creating a domain in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Method of creating a domain in Windows 10: Can I create a domain in Windows 10 without using "windows server". For example : IIS. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/method-of-creating-a-domain-in-windows-10/766243bc-d149-4525-8dcf-7e38cd892e3a
  9. How To Create A VPN Server Certificate?

How To Create A VPN Server Certificate?: I have one VPN Client that uses SSTP connection to my VPN Server, but it requires a certificate from the VPN Server and i don't know how to create it. I have this error 0x800B0109: "A Certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not...
  10. domain server problems

domain server problems: I have had windows 10 a couple weeks and if this issue had not starter a week before that I would blame 10. My internet cuts off at random times, sometimes just for seconds and sometimes I have to turn off modem and restart. At first the troubleshooter said dns problems,...