Windows 10: How to create a hotkey for running command in background instead of foreground in win10?

Discus and support How to create a hotkey for running command in background instead of foreground in win10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; To execute a my application in foreground in win10'cmd: c:\myapp\app.exe -c c:\myapp\config.json Bind the cmd with a hotkey. hotkey logo Click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lida6, May 11, 2020.

1. lida6 Win User

How to create a hotkey for running command in background instead of foreground in win10?

To execute a my application in foreground in win10'cmd:

c:\myapp\app.exe -c c:\myapp\config.json

Bind the cmd with a hotkey.

hotkey logo

Click on desktop--new--hotkey,write the command `c:\myapp\app.exe -c c:\myapp\config.json` in target menu,named it `myapp`.

run in foreground

I want to execute it in background instead of foreground.

When to write `start "c:\myapp\app.exe -c c:\myapp\config.json"`,it encounter error when to press `apply`.

add start in cmd

It is no use to write it as `start /B c:\myapp\app.exe -c c:\myapp\config.json` and select the `normal window` in run selection menu.

:)

lida6, May 11, 2020
  2. Lars Gard Win User

An app is suddenly running in background instead of foreground as it should

I run Windows 10.

When I tried to start an app it suddenly started to run in the background instead of foreground as it should, as seen in the Taskmanager.

It is an "external" app and is thus not listed in the Settings-privacy- background apps list

I want to force it back to run as foreground app again.

Is it possible?

Lars Gard, May 11, 2020
  3. CoronaYum Win User

Hi,

There was a thread on this, but the advice wasn't helpful and the thread was locked. So here is a new thread.

Win 10. I installed an external app (so doesnt appear in the Settings-Privacy-Background Apps list.

The app runs fine, until I minimise it. then it moves to background apps, so theres no way I can find for me to get it back on the screen.

So -

1 - Can I get a 'background process' back into 'apps'process'?

2 - Is this a coding bug, where the on minimise command of the eternal app is not handling the minimise event scenario correctly for win10? perhaps it did in win7

thanks.

CoronaYum, May 11, 2020
  4. How to create a hotkey for running command in background instead of foreground in win10?

The issue, as you described it, often relates to a fault in the application itself. Have you gone through their support site to check if it's a common issue or if there's a known solution? Reinstalling the app is what I suggest you do as well in this case.
    However, try the following steps first and check if it makes any difference:

Check for corrupted Windows system files.

System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Windows that scans for corrupted Windows system files. If it finds a problem, it will try to replace the problematic system files from a cached version that’s on your PC. If SFC can’t replace the files, the Deployment
    Image Service and Management Tool (DISM) can check the corrupted files then download and replace the files through Windows Update.

To run System File Checker (SFC), follow these steps:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, press and hold (or right-click)
      Command Prompt, then select Run as administrator >
      Yes.
    • At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /). Scanning will take a few minutes.
    • Do one of the following, depending on the results of the scan:
      • If SFC finds corrupted files and replaces them, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.
      • If SFC doesn’t find corrupted files or finds corrupted files but can’t replace them, try using the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM).

For more info about System File Checker, see
    Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

To use the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM), follow these steps:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, press and hold (or right-click)
      Command Prompt, and then select Run as administrator >
      Yes.
    • At the command prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space between dism.exe and / and each switch (/)).
    • If DISM finds corrupted files and replaces them, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.

Note: You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM, and it might take several minutes to finish.

For more info about DISM, see
    Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, May 11, 2020
Thema:

How to create a hotkey for running command in background instead of foreground in win10?

1. How to create a hotkey for running command in background instead of foreground in win10? - Similar Threads - create hotkey running

2. Applications and dialog boxes are opening in the background instead of foreground in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications and dialog boxes are opening in the background instead of foreground in Windows 11: I just got a new laptop with Windows 11 and this issue is driving me crazy. Applications and dialog boxes are all opening in the background BEHIND already opened applications. Sometimes the application or dialog box will open in the foreground for a couple of seconds then...
  3. Applications and dialog boxes are opening in the background instead of foreground in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications and dialog boxes are opening in the background instead of foreground in Windows 11: I just got a new laptop with Windows 11 and this issue is driving me crazy. Applications and dialog boxes are all opening in the background BEHIND already opened applications. Sometimes the application or dialog box will open in the foreground for a couple of seconds then...
  4. Windows 11 - New Windows/Apps Default to Background instead of Foreground

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - New Windows/Apps Default to Background instead of Foreground: This has been asked a few times I'm sure. Other tips I've seen either aren't active anymore, don't work, or were never confirmed to work. I feel like I saw some setting somewhere that would let me change the default open to foreground instead of background. It's very...
  5. Foreground Background FPS swapped

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Foreground Background FPS swapped: My foreground and background FPS have been swapped. For example, I get 60 FPS when the game is running in the background but when I open it up, my FPS drops to 1.Things I’ve tried:Resetting PC resetting everythingSystem restoresDDUUpdated ALL drivers chipset, processor...
  6. How to change the Background and Foreground Color in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Background and Foreground Color in Command Prompt: If you open the Command Prompt, it should be evident that the background color is black. However, there are those who would prefer to change the color but have no idea this is a possibility. If you are one of those many people, then worry not for you’re in the right place....
  7. Any ways to create a custom hotkey without bloatwear running in the background?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any ways to create a custom hotkey without bloatwear running in the background?: Hi, so there's like a dozen different keyboard shotcut interrupt layers that enable custom shortcuts in windows, but I don't want to have to run bloated wares just to do one simple keyboard shortcut. I'm looking for the lightest lightweight solution possible to create a...
  8. Create a file to run a hotkey?

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a file to run a hotkey?: Is there a .vbs, .bat etc command so I can run the file and the hotkey F8 (or something else) runs/is pressed? 2004 Windows 10 Build 19041 162919
  9. New window opens in foreground instead of background

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New window opens in foreground instead of background: Hi, I recently got a new laptop running windows 10 and when i click on any file on Windows Explorer, it opens up the new window in the foreground. For Example, this gets quite tedious when I want to open up multiple Powerpoints to study, when i click on a powerpoint it opens...
  10. An app is suddenly running in background instead of foreground as it should

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An app is suddenly running in background instead of foreground as it should: Hi, There was a thread on this, but the advice wasn't helpful and the thread was locked. So here is a new thread. Win 10. I installed an external app (so doesnt appear in the Settings-Privacy-Background Apps list. The app runs fine, until I minimise it. then it moves...