Windows 10: How to Create a Shutdown Icon in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Create a Shutdown Icon in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/thestudentechblog [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5o98q/how_to_create_a_shutdown_icon_in_windows_10/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thestudentechblog, Feb 18, 2020.

1. How to Create a Shutdown Icon in Windows 10

/u/thestudentechblog, Feb 18, 2020

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

How to Create a Shutdown Icon in Windows 10 Desktopicons-1.png

Bald Eagle, Feb 18, 2020
  3. Shutdown problem on my Windows 10 laptop.

Hello,

We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issues with the shutdown function of your laptop:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar beside the Windows icon.
    • Select Troubleshooting from the results.
    • Under System and Security, select Fix Problems with Windows Update.
    • Choose Troubleshoot as an Administrator.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Feb 18, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

How to Create a Shutdown Icon in Windows 10

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

How to Create a Shutdown Icon in Windows 10

1. How to Create a Shutdown Icon in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Shutdown Icon

2. How to create definite icons for the Windows 10 system tray?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to create definite icons for the Windows 10 system tray?: Hi!Overall, the Windows default icons are fine but some of them aren't discernible enough, especially in the system tray if you have eye sight problems. In order to change some icons, I converted simple png-files here:https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-icoThen I...
  3. How to create definite icons for the Windows 10 system tray?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create definite icons for the Windows 10 system tray?: Hi!Overall, the Windows default icons are fine but some of them aren't discernible enough, especially in the system tray if you have eye sight problems. In order to change some icons, I converted simple png-files here:https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-icoThen I...
  4. How to create definite icons for the Windows 10 system tray?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to create Windows Sleep Timer Shutdown in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create Windows Sleep Timer Shutdown in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you are working on your laptop and have to move away for a while, you should put it to sleep ideally. This way you can pick up your work from where you left it, also, it saves electricity and your laptop’s battery. However, if you have to leave your PC for a long...
  6. How to Create Icons For Desktop and Documents?

How to Create Icons For Desktop and Documents?: When I was on Windows 7, I had created icons for my desktop and one for My Documents which I placed in the taskbar. They stayed there when it upgraded to WIN10. I now have a new system and NEED them back. I can't find the website as there are so many hits now with the search...
  7. Create icons for Windows - how without frame/background?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create icons for Windows - how without frame/background?: If one wants to create own ICONs and save the image files e.g. via Irfan View or a similar image program as ICO file: How can I prevent the file from getting a black/white background? This always looks a bit unattractive, e.g. in the taskbar. Thanks. Icons für...
  8. shutdown icon

shutdown icon: Can you create shutdown icon on laptop windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdown-icon/7298692a-3687-4014-a1fe-655f042a73ad
  9. Windows 10 Creating a New Desktop every restart or Shutdown

Windows 10 Creating a New Desktop every restart or Shutdown: I have seen a trouble which is very annoying, windows 10 is creating a new desktop every time when we restart or shutdown. that time we lose everything we put on the desktop and cant get them back because there is no way of getting into the previous desktop. but windows is...
  10. Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?

Desktop Icons...How To Create Them ?: O.k.....Since switching to the Edge browser, I find that I cannot ''drag and drop'' anything from the favourites bar to the desktop, to create quick link icons.....at the moment I keep going back to Chrome, which allows you to do this....there must be a way surely, in Edge to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to setup ikons win 10