Windows 10: How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD

Discus and support How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; There is no special procedure as far as optical media goes. It's not legacy or UEFI, its both. Special procedures to make UEFI boot media only applies... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by daniellouwrens, Jan 19, 2017.

1. AddRAM Win User

How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD

Exactly.

daniellouwrens
    The boot menu is used to choose an item to boot from, so you don`t have to go into the Bios to make changes. Watch the screen when you first turn on the PC, it will show you which key to push to bring up the boot menu, and from there you would choose UEFI DVD, but you said your install DVD is not showing up in the boot menu.

If your dvd is not bootable then it was not prepared properly. Although you`ve said the install DVD`s you have boot on other PC`s

If you have downloaded a fresh Windows 7 iso file, you have to burn it to dvd, use this simple program, burned at the SLOWEST possible speed.

At least that way you`ll have a brand new install dvd to work with, and if it still won`t show up, then there just has to be some setting in the bios we are missing.

Free ISO Burner

AddRAM, Jan 23, 2017

2. Hi
    if this works, it seems that it only takes care of OS Install disks, I have many other boot disk requirements, Kasp 10, Hirem boot disk and others.
    Cheers
    Daniel

daniellouwrens, Jan 23, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    I might be wrong, because it's been a long time, but I believe that in order for a DVD to be bootable in legacy BIOS mode it has to have a special boot sector on it that does not get there when you just copy files to the DVD. You have to burn the actual image from the ISO file, not just the files and folders in the ISO file. Again, I could be wrong.

Even if I am wrong, I don't really see much advantage to mounting the ISO file and then copying all the files and folders to the DVD instead of just right clicking on the ISO file and selecting the burn image option (or using a simple image burning program like IMGBurn).

NavyLCDR, Jan 23, 2017
  4. How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD

Hi

I apologise for giving the impression that I only wanted to boot to OS Install disks, I have four PC's in the house but only one has UEFI and that has W10 installed already, I need to boot to other disks, I have about 7 ISO's that I need UEFI bootable disks for.

Also I have no manual for the PC with the UEFI, only a quick start guide and the "help line" people know nothing about the hardware or the software, when I asked for help setting up the boot sequence properly because Boot to DVD first was not working they asked my why I wanted to boot to DVD I told them, as an example, my backup software worked from a bootable DVD, so they sent me details on how to backup the PC which by the way was useless, it only backed up the Users folder.

Also, I do not know for sure how to get to the "boot menu", I have tried all the suggested ones, Esc, F2, F8, F11, and all the other F keys,
    the F11 does take me to a menu that looks like the boot menu but the only option is the "Windows MBR" startup.

Also, I need this for DVD's not USB keys, a DVD costs 50c and a USB costs and least $15.00

I hope that clarifies things

Cheers

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Jan 23, 2017
  5. Make your bootable install disks the way you normally did in the past. Burn the disk from the image file. That's it. If your trying to boot from something other than Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, turn secure boot off, otherwise leave it on.

alphanumeric, Jan 23, 2017
  6. Winuser Win User
    F11 is the right key. The Windows MBR is the only boot option being found.

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD

1. How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD - Similar Threads - create UEFI bootable

2. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  3. create bootable win10 on CD/DVD/Thumbdrive and install on a portable running Ubuntu?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    create bootable win10 on CD/DVD/Thumbdrive and install on a portable running Ubuntu?: I bought Dell portable 5 yrs ago w/Win7. I upgraded to 64-bit Win7 Pro and created a partition. I installed Ubuntu in one partition. An update to Win7 wiped out runnable Windows7, don't know what else did, but not going to argue. All I want to do now is download Win10 to...
  4. Problem creating bootable CD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem creating bootable CD: I'm having an issue creating a bootable CD. I created a System Repair Disk via the "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" (which an odd title in itself). After the initial creation looking at the disk in File Explorer shows files/folders and it has a label. Upon trying to boot...
  5. Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Creating a Bootable DVD with Linux .ISO: I am in need of creating a bootable DVD, whenever I put my DVD on the tray and enter it into the computer, I am greeted with a popup asking me which way I want to use this disc, 'Like a USB flash drive' or 'With a CD/DVD player'. I am trying to dual boot Linux and Windows...
  6. Windows 10 64 bit: cannot create bootable CD/DVD

Windows 10 64 bit: cannot create bootable CD/DVD: I have attempted to create a bootable DVD but W10 on my laptop cannot recognise the media, nor does it display the DVD drive in Explorer. I understand this is a frequent problem since Windows no longer supports Media Player? How do I create the boot disk?...
  7. How to create a bootable CD in windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to create a bootable CD in windows 10: Must be old school, but is there a way to create a CD in Windows 10 that is bootable. All the discussions that I have found talk about the ISO file for windows 10. I have a laptop that has an enterprise version of windows 7 on it, and I want to do a clean install of windows...
  8. How to create bootable disk partition from bootable CD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create bootable disk partition from bootable CD?: Hi! I have on CD small system which at computer start boots into. So, when I want to access this OS, I must to have always CD in drive... I want to leave CD away and create from this bootable partition on harddisk and will have access to OS directly without CD.. Is it...
  9. How to create from bootable CD the bootable partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create from bootable CD the bootable partition?: Hi! I have multi-OS computer and own one Live CD which boots at computer start if I select Boot from CDROM. I want to work without CD - make it like installed system. It is not problem of copying content of CD to harddisk partition, problem is for me to make it bootable....
  10. How to create UEFI Install DVD?

How to create UEFI Install DVD?: Hey, so I'm upgrading my mom's laptop from windows 7 to windows 10. Since my last upgrade I seem to have misplaced my USB Stick that has the UEFI Windows 10 install media on it. I do, however, have a few DVDs lying around that are large enough to make a Installation DVD. If I...