Windows 10: How to create a universal backup ?

Discus and support How to create a universal backup ? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I want to create a universal backup so that I can restore Windows 10 on any machine with a different hardware. I have heard that apparently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Grand2Grand, Jun 18, 2020.

1. How to create a universal backup ?

Hi,

I want to create a universal backup so that I can restore Windows 10 on any machine with a different hardware. I have heard that apparently Windows 10 is better with hardware changes now in comparison to Windows 7 where system would either bluescreen or be stuck in a reboot loop.

I'm thinking to just uninstall all the drivers, run Sysprep then shut down Windows 10 . After that I would make a backup so that when I restore it, Windows 10 will detect different hardware and adjust all the drivers. Would that work ?

I also have a few questions:

1) Would the above method preserve all of my Control Panel Settings, Windows Settings App, Group Policy and user environment ? I have heard that Sysprep can have issues with correctly preserving user environment after initiating sysprep.

2) I need a free imaging tool that I can boot into from USB stick and make a cold backup of Windows from its own environment rather than just installing a software in Windows. I have used Norton Ghost for Windows 7 before and I'm looking for something similar. I was thinking about using Clonezilla but I don't know how compatible this software is with Windows 10.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

:)

Grand2Grand, Jun 18, 2020

2. Backup skipped

Hi Ken,

For us to better isolate your concern, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are your backing up files or creating a system image?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest deleting the backup you created and create a new one. Click this
    article
    and follow the steps on how to create a backup.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Can't create a Restore flash backup in Win 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help resolve the issue.

As per the information that you have provided, I suggest that you perform Power Drain and restart the backup process and check if you get the same error.

To perform Power Drain and check if you are able to create the backup. To do so follow the steps below:

• Unplug the charger and remove the battery of your laptop, if using a desktop remove the power cord.
    • Press and hold the Power button for 30sec
    • Plug the charger/power cord and restart system

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Jun 18, 2020
  4. How to create a universal backup ?

Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

How to create a universal backup ?

1. How to create a universal backup ? - Similar Threads - create universal backup

2. How to create a custom theme for Universal apps on 20H1 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create a custom theme for Universal apps on 20H1 ?: Hi I'm trying to find a way to make the old post of mcdenis (https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4pr46f/how_to_create_your_own_custom_theme_for_universal/) works on my 20H2 (beta) Windows 10 version. But on new W10 versions i don't have the...
  3. How do I create a backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I create a backup?: I’m a Mac guy who got my first windows pc for the first time since windows 7. Im about to wipe my drive and install Arch Linux instead but first I wanna back up my stuff. On mac it’s really simply, you plug in any hard drive and open time machine and with one click literally...
  4. How to create a backup account of my account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to create a backup account of my account: How do I create a back up account that would have the same rights as the admin account that I use (in case there is something wrong with my account and I have to replace it?) Can it have the same login and same Microsoft account? I did create a family adult account but...
  5. Failed to create backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed to create backup: I am trying to create backup but at end Green progress bar turns into red and following message appears The backup failed New bad clusters were found on the source volume. Theses clusters were not backup (0x80780070) Using Windows 10 64 bits Dell optiplex 3040...
  6. How to open manually created backup files?

How to open manually created backup files?: So my Windows broke down 2 days ago. I don't know how nor why, but the computer wouldn't boot, and I had important files on it. I decided the best thing to do would be to use the backup function the OS provided when I booted from a memory stick, which I then proceeded to do....
  7. How can I backup and sideload Windows universal apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I backup and sideload Windows universal apps?: Hello! I know almost all Windows Universal apps and games are available at Windows Store, but it is not convenient to download many games one-by-one for each computer. Probably there is a way to extract the apps to APPX or EAPPX files (what is the difference?) and then...
  8. How to create a data backup in Win 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to create a data backup in Win 10: When I was on Win 7, I used Norton Security Suite that included backup tools that I used to backup all my data. I'm now on Win 10 and have decided to use the MS security tools instead of Norton (not sure if this is a good idea or not so feel free to chime in). I think Win 10...
  9. Universal apps how to?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Universal apps how to?: Is there a way to check if an app is Universal or not? For example, if I want to install the Netflix Universal app, will it just automatically be the one in the store? Because, isn't there still a non-universal version? Also, I have heard about people sorting or organizing,...
  10. Create universal Windows 10 image?

Create universal Windows 10 image?: Hello, I am trying to create a universal windows 10 image based off of Enterprise X64 for work. A lot has changed since Windows 7, but for the most part ive got the image doing what I need it to do (Auto domain binding, prompting for computer name, auto wifi binding etc..)...