Windows 10: How to create a view of files contained across multiple directories

Discus and support How to create a view of files contained across multiple directories in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10: The Objective: Create a virtual directory of files contained in multiple directories, essentially a view. The list of files in the virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tom Swift, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Tom Swift Win User

How to create a view of files contained across multiple directories

Windows 10: The Objective: Create a virtual directory of files contained in multiple directories, essentially a view. The list of files in the virtual directory should have the file attributes available as well. DIR1 FileA1 FileA2 FileB1 DIR2 FileA3 FileA4 FileB2 ----> Library FileA1 FileA2 FileA3 FileA4 So create links or shortcuts containing a compilation of all files with name FileA* along with file attributes (size, creation date, etc.) and store them in a library folder. (Double-clicking the links should open the file to which they point.) I tried doing a file search for FileA* across all directories and then creating shortcuts on the resulting set of files. My limited knowledge of Windows - it seemed that the only place I could save the group of shortcuts was to the desktop which I could then cut and paste to a library folder. However, this does not yield the attributes of the files to which they point. It seems this should be easy to do? Thanks for any creative ideas

:)

Tom Swift, Jun 13, 2021

2. Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Jun 13, 2021
  3. 95Viper Win User
  4. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jun 13, 2021
Thema:

1. How to create a view of files contained across multiple directories - Similar Threads - create view files

2. How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?: I have encountered a problem, that is, when I create a folder, it will prompt me that it contains special characters. I want to know how windows system detects that a certain character is a special character. I want to judge this in advance instead of waiting for me to create...
  3. How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?: I have encountered a problem, that is, when I create a folder, it will prompt me that it contains special characters. I want to know how windows system detects that a certain character is a special character. I want to judge this in advance instead of waiting for me to create...
  4. How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Automating search-replace across multiple files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Automating search-replace across multiple files?: I need to replace a text entry in the header of multiple .wav files. The header text is in 16-bit format, so in the HxD editor each character appears as two bytes: q 113 00 = 61 00 " 34 00 2 50 00 7 55 00 " 34 00 Across dozens of files, I need to change the...
  6. Multiple occurence of "Desktop" folder in File explorer directory view .

Multiple occurence of "Desktop" folder in File explorer directory view .: [ATTACH] Multiple occurence of "Desktop" folder in File explorer directory view . The desktop is on the very top, and there is a desktop under it, which includes "this PC" and then there is another desktop in thi directory. This is very confusing. How to fix the...
  7. Tables of Contents Across Multiple Files

Tables of Contents Across Multiple Files: How do I create a table of contents that includes many files? I need to know how to tell Word the other file names, and where I enter that info,. Thanks!...
  8. How to Create a Folder Directory

How to Create a Folder Directory: How can I create a list of folders, sub-folders, and files within those folders? Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-folder-directory/700f4fd1-c2fb-470a-ae0a-ea23e770efe6"
  9. How do you create a new folder containing multiple selected files?

How do you create a new folder containing multiple selected files?: ... it is a very simple question. How do I create a new folder from a selection? I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out on my own, but hey, here we are. Anyone?...
  10. Creating playlist files that contain the songs?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating playlist files that contain the songs?: Hi! I've recently discovered a new artist and I want to make a "Best Of" sorta thing. I have all of the songs and I made an .m3u file that points to the songs location on my computer. However I was wondering if there's a file format / some way for a playlist so that I only...