Windows 10: How to create an installation USB for old MBR device?

Discus and support How to create an installation USB for old MBR device? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; With the latest installation USB created by the Media Creation Tool (20H2) I can't get Windows to install on older legacy device that has no UEFI. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mibaup, Jan 18, 2021.

1. mibaup Win User

How to create an installation USB for old MBR device?

With the latest installation USB created by the Media Creation Tool (20H2) I can't get Windows to install on older legacy device that has no UEFI. It tells me that the drive is of the GPT style.

How can I create a USB drive for MBR?

Thanks

:)

mibaup, Jan 18, 2021
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

USB install XP onto old laptop

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Download the boot disk setup, create all 6 boot disks. Insert XP CD, and run off the boot disk, and follow the on screen steps. Then the boot disk will access the XP CD to finish up the install.

I dont think there is a way to install XP via usb if your computer does not support usb booting in the first place.

3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Jan 18, 2021
  4. A Monell Win User

confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

1. How to create an installation USB for old MBR device? - Similar Threads - create installation USB

2. How to create installation media on a USB drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create installation media on a USB drive?: Hello, I am trying to create installation media for a new PC on a USB. When I launch the media creation tool, I get all the way to the architecture specifics screen, when it tells me there is not enough room on my laptop, with no option to put it on the USB instead of the...
  3. How to create installation media on a USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create installation media on a USB drive?: Hello, I am trying to create installation media for a new PC on a USB. When I launch the media creation tool, I get all the way to the architecture specifics screen, when it tells me there is not enough room on my laptop, with no option to put it on the USB instead of the...
  4. How to create installation media on a USB drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  6. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  7. Clean Install of 11 / Old SSD is MBR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install of 11 / Old SSD is MBR: I need to do a clean install onto an NVMe M.2 2280 and my Win 10 SSD is inadvertently MBR instead of GPT to install from there. Can I use my Win 10 code for fresh install and will the Win 11 ISO/USB be immediately available on the 5th? All else passes for Win 11.Thanks....
  8. Clean Install of 11 / Old SSD is MBR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean Install of 11 / Old SSD is MBR: I need to do a clean install onto an NVMe M.2 2280 and my Win 10 SSD is inadvertently MBR instead of GPT to install from there. Can I use my Win 10 code for fresh install and will the Win 11 ISO/USB be immediately available on the 5th? All else passes for Win 11.Thanks....
  9. Creating a USB install

Creating a USB install: 1. W10 2004 .ISO contains a file a .wim file? larger than 4GB. 2. 4GB is the limit for FAT32 files. 3. FAT32 is the only filesystem recognised by BIOS/UEFI boot. It seems that W10 2004 cannot be installed from an install USB. How do you install W10 2004 onto a new PC?...
  10. Mbr on USB stick?

Mbr on USB stick?: Hello everybody! It is about installing Kali Linux on a USB stick. A normal dual boot with two partitions would have GRUB in the mbr of the Hdd. I'm just not quite sure if if if I install Kali not on a second partition but on the USB stick, then GRUB in the mbr is...