Windows 10: How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot?

Discus and support How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to put Windows10 and Manjaro Linux on one 32GB USB stick, with a nice menu at bootup that asks me what I would like to boot, and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Horscht, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Horscht Win User

How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot?

I would like to put Windows10 and Manjaro Linux on one 32GB USB stick, with a nice menu at bootup that asks me what I would like to boot, and then either go install Win10 or boot up Manjaro Live.

I tried at least 5 different tools but none of them work, could also be that I chose the wrong options.
    I tried SARDU, WinSetupFromUSB, XBoot, MultiBootUSB, YUMI (non UEFI version).
    Didn't write down what went wrong since I didn't know I would make this thread and don't wanna go through it all again If I don't have to, especially since it would degrade the life of the stick If I constantly write tons of data to it...

Either manjaro doesn't show up in the bootmanager, or when trying to start manjaro the screen stays black, or when choosing to boot the windows install it says the computer is corrupted and needs to be repaired (which of course isn't true, there's just something wrong with how the ISO/install was written by the tools).

Both ISOs work when written in isolation to the stick by Rufus.

I tried multiple guides but I guess they're all outdated? I have no idea...

Can anyone point me to a working guide that still works in 2019 or tell me the exact options I need to use to make this work?
    Do I need to format the stick as NTFS or FAT32? UEFI or BIOS? MBR or GPT? *Confused
    I think NTSF is windows only, so manjaro wouldn't work with it? But FAT32 is too small to fit Win10 on it (4.4GB).
    I don't know what to do, nothing that I tried makes both work. It's either one or the other.
    Does it even work? Doesn't windows and linux use totally different boot records boot loaders, boot methods whatever it's called?

Sorry If I don't know the correct terms and methods but most guides just say "check this box and press this button, now it should work" without explaining when to use what options or why or how it works. And when it doesn't work... well... *Sick

These are the two files I would like to put on the stick:
    manjaro-kde-18.0.2-stable-x86_64.iso
    Win10_1809Oct_English_x64.iso

:)

Horscht, Feb 10, 2019
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Feb 10, 2019
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Feb 10, 2019
  4. How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot?

Dual boot SSD, Windows 10, kali linux 3

Hi Tech Gurus,

I am wanting to dual boot kali linux with windows 10, however, I partition it in windows 10, I allocate 60 GB for kali linux, secure boot is off, boot from usb is on. I created a live kali image on a 64 gb usb c pen drive, I booted that and tried installing
    it in my ssd and kali linux doesn't seem to recognise the partition.

Then I used the same pen drive to install kali in the same live usb. I am missing something or my procedure is wrong, kali linux doesn't seem to install it in the pendrive. It says kernel is unresponsive and ext4 file format creation failed. So basically
    the installation fails.

I need to either dual boot in the ssd with out affecting the UEFI boot firmware or install it in my pendrive, since it is USB C, can accept the performance. Please recommend and advice.

Truly.

kalyana krishnanSomasekar, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot?

1. How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot? - Similar Threads - create USB stick

2. How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?: In past i had windows 10 in my PC but later i completely removed it and I installed Ubuntu. But now i want to dual boot windows and linux both. I don't know how can i do that?...
  3. How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?: In past i had windows 10 in my PC but later i completely removed it and I installed Ubuntu. But now i want to dual boot windows and linux both. I don't know how can i do that?...
  4. How to install windows and dual boot it with linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restricting Network Access on Win10/Linux Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restricting Network Access on Win10/Linux Dual Boot: Hello,I Am Ketan Mehta Owner Of Petromet Inc I have a PC with Windows 10 and Kubuntu Linux dual boot.The machine is connected to my DSL router via LAN cable. No Wifi hardware installed.I like Windows to have no internet connection at all. Linux should be able to connect...
  6. Dual booting Win10 with Ubuntu linux - display driver problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual booting Win10 with Ubuntu linux - display driver problem: Hi! I have installed Win10 on a separate HDD beside Ubuntu. Once installed, everything worked fine with my dual monitor setup (actually a FullHD monitor + a 4K TV). Resolution was just fine. After reinstalling GRUB (the linux bootloader), to make dual boot available again...
  7. How to remove Linux from a dual boot?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove Linux from a dual boot?: I currently have Windows 10 and Linux Mint installed, I want to remove Linux Mint. submitted by /u/captain_degenerate [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fr0hk9/how_to_remove_linux_from_a_dual_boot/
  8. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  9. How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to create an USB stick with Win10/Linux dual boot?: I would like to put Windows10 and Manjaro Linux on one 32GB USB stick, with a nice menu at bootup that asks me what I would like to boot, and then either go install Win10 or boot up Manjaro Live. I tried at least 5 different tools but none of them work, could also be that I...
  10. dual-boot Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...