Windows 10: How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt?

Discus and support How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt, just like junction /j but instead of creating a shorcut, I want to create an actual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TalMelamed, Mar 20, 2021.

1. How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt?

Hi, I'm trying to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt, just like junction /j but instead of creating a shorcut, I want to create an actual copy of the folder - hard link make the 'minecraftWorlds' appears like a regular folder.

How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt? 33470b67-755a-4142-95b6-80ddfbf3420f?upload=true.png

I used this to create a shorcut:

mklink /J C:\LinkToFolder C:\Users\Name\OriginalFolder

but when I tried this:

mklink /H C:\LinkToFolder C:\Users\Name\OriginalFolder

it says - "Access is denied".

:)

TalMelamed, Mar 20, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 20, 2021
  3. cwtech Win User
    command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Mar 20, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt?

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Thema:

How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt?

1. How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt? - Similar Threads - create hard links

2. How to create a shareable link to a network folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a shareable link to a network folder: I would like to create a shortcut/link to a folder on a network drive, one that I can email to my wife so she can instantly access that folder. We are both on Windows 10, on the same LAN. The folder is on a shared drive. I've looked on support.microsoft.com, but couldn't find...
  3. How to create a shareable link to a network folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to create a shareable link to a network folder: I would like to create a shortcut/link to a folder on a network drive, one that I can email to my wife so she can instantly access that folder. We are both on Windows 10, on the same LAN. The folder is on a shared drive. I've looked on support.microsoft.com, but couldn't find...
  4. How to create a shareable link to a network folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?: Hello Microsoft community,I have a big problem in my Windows 10 Pro, I wrote something wrong in the Command Prompt idk How to write in english and when I try tô do any actions that restart the notebook or turn It of, the spinning thing doesnt appear and It never...
  6. How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?: Hello Microsoft community,I have a big problem in my Windows 10 Pro, I wrote something wrong in the Command Prompt idk How to write in english and when I try tô do any actions that restart the notebook or turn It of, the spinning thing doesnt appear and It never...
  7. Desktop folder missing in Command Prompt

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Desktop folder missing in Command Prompt: Hello Gurus Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.1110) I have just reinstalled Win 10 because I couldn't find the Desktop folder when using the Command Prompt, and its still missing. Has anybody any ideas how to fix this problem ? 183207
  8. How grant folder from command prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How grant folder from command prompt: Hi I need to redirect Windows logs folder by mklink command but before creating a link the source folder must be deleted and when I using rmdir command, it reports access denied. To solving this problem I have to change folders permission manually. But I need a command to...
  9. Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot create a new folder or file in the Documents folder using command prompt: Surface Pro 3 64bit Hi there, I originally began trying to create touch index.html from ubuntu in the command prompt. It said touchcannot touch no such file or directory . I tried doing the same thing from git bash but same message. I've also tried to create a folder in...
  10. Create a File List at a Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Create a File List at a Command Prompt: From the directions on the support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/196158/how-to-create-a-text-file-list-of-the-contents-of-a-folder dir > filename.txt doesn't work for me in Windows 10. I get the error "There is not enough space on this disk." Even though...