Windows 10: How to create multiple System Images on a single external USB drive in Windows 10

Discus and support How to create multiple System Images on a single external USB drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It is recommended that you create a System Image of your computer periodically as a part of your backup plan. If you have an existing system image for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 7, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to create multiple System Images on a single external USB drive in Windows 10

It is recommended that you create a System Image of your computer periodically as a part of your backup plan. If you have an existing system image for a computer and try creating a new one for the same computer, the new system image will overwrite the existing one. In this post, we will show you how to create and keep multiple system image versions on the same external drive and avoid having a large number of frequent restore points on your PC.

How to create multiple System Images on a single external USB drive in Windows 10 system-image-2-571x600.jpg

Create multiple System Images on a single external drive

Keep in mind that you can only include drives formatted with the NTFS file system in a system image. Also, you cannot restore a 64-bit system image on a 32-bit system and you cannot restore a 64-bit system image with a 32-bit Windows 10 installation DVD/USB or System Repair Disc, and vice-versa. A system image that was created on a computer using UEFI can only be restored on a computer using UEFI and cannot be restored on a computer using legacy BIOS.

To create multiple system images on a single external drive, do the following:

1. Power on your Windows 10 computer.
    2. Plug in the external USB drive.
    3. Press Windows key + E to open File Explorer.
    4. Navigate to the backup location for where you saved a system image that you want to keep before creating a new system image.

System Images are saved in the format below:

drive letter:\WindowsImageBackup\computer name\Backup YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS
    • Right-click the WindowsImageBackup folder, and click Rename.
    • Rename it to something like WindowsImageBackup-Copy-1 and hit Enter.
    • Click Yes if prompted by UAC.

You now have a different system image version that you can leave at this location to be able to keep multiple versions – just easily change the 1 to 2, 3, 4, and so on for each new system image that you make a copy of.

At any time, when you want to restore a system image in a renamed WindowsImageBackup-Copy-1 folder in the future, then you must rename the current WindowsImageBackup folder first, then rename the WindowsImageBackup-Copy-1 folder back to WindowsImageBackup in order to be able to restore it. The WindowsImageBackup folder must be in the root directory of the drive, and not within another folder.

Read: Windows cannot find a system image on this computer.

Hope you find this post helpful enough!

How to create multiple System Images on a single external USB drive in Windows 10 system-image-2.jpg
    This article How to create multiple System Images on a single external USB drive in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Mar 7, 2021
  2. robert123 Win User

Can I create multiple system images on a single external drive?

"How to Create a System Image in Windows 8 and 8.1" at System Image - Create in Windows 8

includes the following approach for create multiple system images on a single external drive. Will this approach work in Windows 10?
    ==========================================
    METHOD TWO:

1. Navigate to the backup location above for where you saved a system image that you want to keep before creating a new system image.

2. Right click, or press and hold, on the WindowsImageBackup folder, and click/tap on Rename.

3. Rename it to something like WindowsImageBackup-Copy-1, press Enter, and click//tap on Yes if prompted by UAC.
    NOTE: This way you can just easily change the 1 an the end of the name to 2, 3, 4, etc... for each new system image that you make a copy of.

4. You now have a different system image version that you can leave at this location to be able to keep multiple versions.
    NOTE: When you want to restore a system image in a renamed WindowsImageBackup-Copy-1 folder in the future, then you must rename the current WindowsImageBackup folder first, then rename the WindowsImageBackup-Copy-1 folder back to WindowsImageBackup in order to be able to restore it. The WindowsImageBackup folder must be in the root directory of the drive, and not within another folder.

robert123, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Doc.666 Win User
    Unable to Create system image on external USB Drive

It appears since one of the recent updates I can no longer create system images to external USB drives. This is a critical issues for me as my surface book only has one internal drive and external USB backups is the best option for system images. I have
    been using the Windows 7 backup application for years now and want that option back.

Doc.666, Mar 7, 2021
  4. Agility Win User

How to create multiple System Images on a single external USB drive in Windows 10

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

1. How to create multiple System Images on a single external USB drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - create multiple System

2. MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MACRIUM REFLECT: Cannot create a system image onto an external USB hard drive: I am trying to create a system image using the free addition of Macrium Reflect on a HP All-In-One desktop. The source drive C: appears, but the destination drive E: does not. The E drive is a "WD My Passport 259F USB external hard drive. For the Destination, it gives me the...
  3. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  4. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  7. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  8. Create System Image to USB

Create System Image to USB: Just got a new Dell PC with Windows 10 and I want ti create a disk image in case I need to restore my system to factory settings but do not see how I can do that to a USB drive and would appreciate your help....
  9. Create a system image not working for USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a system image not working for USB drive: I recently installed W10 on a new HDD, and also got a new USB flash drive for back up purposes. Both drives are 128GB in size, and the HDD has 37GB of its space used up for the W10 OS, and a few other bits and pieces. The USB drive is empty, and has been formatted for NTFS....
  10. Can I create multiple system images on a single external drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I create multiple system images on a single external drive?: "How to Create a System Image in Windows 8 and 8.1" at System Image - Create in Windows 8 includes the following approach for create multiple system images on a single external drive. Will this approach work in Windows 10? ==========================================...