Windows 10: How to create self-extracting archives on Windows 10

Discus and support How to create self-extracting archives on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]A self-extracting archive is useful; it allows you to extract archives without additional software. All you have to do is double click the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 21, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to create self-extracting archives on Windows 10

WinClub, Aug 21, 2020
  2. Uplink10 Win User

Archive Manager, can't extract without creating subfolder

I am trying to extract an archive which contains an archive split into multiple files and for that I need Archive Manager to extract the first archive not in any subfolders.

I read on the internet that if there is more than one file in the archive Archive Manager will automatically create a subfolder when extracting, now I think that there should certainly be an option for that too but there should not be only this default option available because now I can't extract a few archives without automatically creating subfolders.

I do not want subfolders because then the second archive won't be able to extract contents because the second archive is split into more files (which depend on each other) and now all these files are in its own subfolder instead of the same folder.

I used to this with ease with 7-Zip and Winrar on Windows but in Archive Manager there is no such a choice where you choose yourself whether you want it extracted to subfolder or not in a subfolder.

Uplink10, Aug 21, 2020
  3. pyramid10 Win User
    Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Aug 21, 2020
  4. J-Texas Win User

Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update

I'm trying to open a self extracting file to download a firmware update for a camera. Nothing happens when I click open or run as administrator. This same file worked just fine in November when I downloaded it for another camera. After hitting open 10
    times or so I can finally get it to open only to get an error message telling me to close all applications and reboot windows. Then I get a WinRarSelf Extracting archive message that says ExtA_update\firmware\fwbin cannot create A update firmware.

I'm about to scream. It seems with every windows update something else doesn't work.

J-Texas, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

1. How to create self-extracting archives on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - create self extracting

2. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  3. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  4. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Failed to extract archive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to extract archive: I'm trying to install TurboTax 2020 and every time I click on the file I get Failed to extract archive. On their forum they have instructions which I have tried several times and I still get the same error...
  6. how to uninstall files extracted from an archive

how to uninstall files extracted from an archive: Can anybody help me out with this thing please? I recently installed an application by extracting the .exe file from WinRAR to a folder, but now I need to uninstall it, the application also doesn't appear on the Control Panel Uninstall an application list. Thank you...
  7. Notifications Self-Created Reminders in Windows 10

Notifications Self-Created Reminders in Windows 10: Where, on my PC, do I go to locate all the Notifications i.e. Reminders that I've previously created? I realise that - if I open the Action Centre i.e. the Icon on the far right of the Task Bar - then I can access a specific Notification that happens to have popped-up in...
  8. tar on windows fails to extract archive containing symlink

tar on windows fails to extract archive containing symlink: Running tar xjf libexpat-libexpat-R_2_2_6.tar.gz gives the following error: libexpat-R_2_2_6/README.md: Can't create '\\\\?\\C:\\current\\dir\\libexpat-R_2_2_6\\README.md' tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors. The archive can be downloaded from GitHub:...
  9. Seeking Utility or Setup - Extract Archive On Open, Then Delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Seeking Utility or Setup - Extract Archive On Open, Then Delete: Hi all, I'm looking for a streamlined way of handling downloaded ZIP files (and other archives). I use Chrome as my primary browser if there's an extension that does this. I primarily use 7-Zip, but I do own a WinRAR license. I want archives to automatically unpack...
  10. Error 0x80070057 while extracting archives

in Windows 10 Support
    Error 0x80070057 while extracting archives: I have some archives that contain files with double quotes in their filenames (Example: photo"summer"01.png). And when I try to extract them, I get Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect. As we know, Windows does not allow double quotes in filenames, so I can't...